Echoes of Portobello Harbour?

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Echoes of Portobello Harbour?

Postby wangi » 21 Mar 2006, 23:19

Gallery: Echoes of Portobello Harbour

After stormy seas at low tide the lower courses of some walls are visible in the sand of Portobello Beach near the Figgate Burn / Funpark.

From the RCAHMS:
Two stone built walls are visible on Portobello Beach 20m east of the Figgate Burn. Both walls are 1.20m wide and have a rubble interior and dressed facing stones. One wall is approximately 10m long, running NW -SE. Only one course is visible, the rest, if any, is obscured by sand. The other wall lies 6m to the east. It is 6m long and is curvilinear in plan. Again only one course is visible.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 23rd February 1996.

Image Image

Anyone got any more info? Either these are walls from the old harbour, or from the "Harbour Green".
wangi
[admin]

Postby Poppy » 22 Mar 2006, 10:44

We need to get the Time Team!
Poppy

Postby Dadaist » 22 Mar 2006, 10:49

If only because we'd get to see Baldrick drown - yes - bring on the TT.

I can see the EN now - "G&TT calls for TT"
Dadaist

Postby wangi » 22 Mar 2006, 10:53

Poppy wrote:We need to get the Time Team!

Would be good.

Map from 1824, showing the harbour:
wangi
[admin]

Postby Dadaist » 22 Mar 2006, 10:55

It should be Time Team but Porty style.

All the camera work is done by Portabelly Telly "enthusiats".

All geophys is done by those dudes with the metal detectors.

Locals dress up in period costumes and make soap, bricks and salt.

etc
Dadaist

Postby ecm » 22 Mar 2006, 11:15

Dadaist wrote:Locals dress up in period costumes and make soap, bricks and salt.
etc

I bags a job in the hat manufactory please.
ecm

Postby Dadaist » 22 Mar 2006, 11:28

ecm wrote:
Dadaist wrote:Locals dress up in period costumes and make soap, bricks and salt.
etc

I was thinking "Grime Team", "Slime Team" or "Brine Team".
Dadaist

Postby Poppy » 22 Mar 2006, 11:32

ecm wrote:
etc

Yes, would suit you - mad as a hatter! :D
Poppy

Postby Sandra » 22 Mar 2006, 14:49

Didn't realise Rathbone got his name from good old Portobello! :D
Sandra

Postby Dadaist » 22 Mar 2006, 14:55

Sandra wrote:Didn't realise Rathbone got his name from good old Portobello! :D

I know! I smiled when I saw that.

Imagine if you could go back and spend a sunny day having a stroll around old Edinburgh and Portobello.
Dadaist

Postby Poppy » 22 Mar 2006, 15:49

Dadaist wrote:

Imagine if you could go back and spend a sunny day having a stroll around old Edinburgh and Portobello.

Do pay attention, you two!! You obviously missed this:

http://porty.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1648&start=0

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:
Poppy

Postby Sandra » 22 Mar 2006, 16:27

Ahhh lovely story :D (and house)
Sandra

Postby Robin! » 22 Mar 2006, 18:12

Interesting, theres also big iron hoop things along Seafield, that look as though they were they to tie the boat to :? :lol:
Robin!

Postby Dadaist » 22 Mar 2006, 18:32

Poppy wrote:
Dadaist wrote:

Do pay attention, you two!! You obviously missed this:

http://porty.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1648&start=0

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Oh right - when I read that I thought he was calling it after him - like Dada Towers - not the other way round. oops, sorry Rathers.
Dadaist

Postby rathbone » 23 Mar 2006, 00:29

Apology accepted :D
I have nothing to say and I'm going to say it.
rathbone

Postby Bob Jefferson » 05 Apr 2009, 20:44

Found this rather nice illustration of the old harbour in a booklet I am currently scanning.

Bob Jefferson

Porty Harbour

Postby GRANTY » 05 Apr 2009, 21:34

Hi Bob, is there a date on the drawing ? Fascinating picture.
GRANTY

Postby Bob Jefferson » 05 Apr 2009, 21:47

I don't have a date for it but I will speak to Margeorie and see if she can tell me anything about it. It appeared in the souvenir programme for the opening of the open air pool in 1936 but I imagine the illustration is 19th century.
Bob Jefferson

Re: Echoes of Portobello Harbour?

Postby wangi » 28 May 2013, 16:21

Subject: Funpark - Licensed Snooker Club

wangi wrote:
Marya wrote:See the developer has posted on the Porty People facebook page that work is due to start soon and they are looking for suggestions for a name for the new development.

Marc Teague
Hi,

We are about to start work on 73 new apartments on the former fun fair site. We have not yet got a name for the development but i thought it would be an idea to throw it open to the residents of portobello to come up with some name ideas. Let me know your suggestions and i will let you know what we pick.

Thanks
Marc Teague
MNM Developments (Scot) Ltd

Historically I guess Harbour Green or Waverley Potteries would make sense?
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 28 May 2013, 16:23

Remains of Portobello Harbour being uncovered just now at Harbour Green during works for the new development
Portobello Harbour
Portobello Harbour
Portobello Harbour by Lee Kindness, on Flickr
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 31 May 2013, 12:41

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/53 ... o+harbour/
(Location cited as NT 305 744). Portobello, Edinburgh. This harbour has disappeared and its site has been largely built over, but it is fairly fully recorded. It was situated just E of the mouth of the Figgate Burn [NT c. 3040 7432], and was built in 1787-8 at the instance of William Jameson, an Edinburgh architect and builder. The contractor was Alexander Robertson. Its original purpose was to serve the industries that were being started in Portobello, particularly a brick, tile and earthernware factory which made use of clay from the burn. It seems to have comprised a substantial stone pier `with a rough kind of breakwater in front of it', a sub-oval basin measuring about 110ft [33.5m] by 65ft [19.8m]. This is still commemorated by the name `Harbour Street' [name centred NT 30382 74270], at the end of Pipe Street. What was probably the site of the pier-head, as figured by Baird, is marked today by a scatter of stones and boulders below the Promenade, which includes an interrupted line of dressed facing-blocks, while Baird's `break-water' is probably represented by a rickle of large boulders, some 70ft [21.3m] long and with its E end returned, which lies lower down the beach.
[Sources and authorities cited].
A Graham 1971.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/28 ... ge+street/
NT 3047 7424 (centre) An evaluation was undertaken in October and November 2005 to locate and assess part of Portobello Harbour wall structure and recover pottery from deposits of kiln waste used for land reclamation, prior to a proposed development adjacent to the evaluation area.
The evaluation site is located on open ground on the SE side of two restored Scheduled pottery kilns (NT37SW 172.01) on the former site of the Waverley Pottery. Based on cartographic evidence, two trenches were located so as to overlie the projected line of the E wall of Portobello Harbour channel. The two trenches were hand-excavated, one reaching a maximum sondage depth of 2.2m and then probed with an auger for a further 0.33m.
Excavation revealed that, below topsoil, waste from the pottery had been dumped to infill and level the ground. The dumps comprised clinker, ash, cinders, bricks and cobbles as well as silt, gravel, sand and clay. Pottery sherds recovered from the dumping date from the early to late 19th century. Tip lines formed by the dumping descended to the NW, tentatively indicating dumping over the E quayside and into the channel between the harbour walls.
The pottery waste dumping overlay loose sand containing early 19th-century pottery, large pantile fragments, and cobbles. No structural evidence of the harbour was located. It was concluded that the E harbour wall may lie below trench depth, be located further to the E (perhaps under Pipe Lane), or the stonework has been robbed out at this location.
Archive to be deposited in NMRS.
Sponsor: Lothian Amusements Ltd.
R Cachart 2005.
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 27 Jun 2013, 14:13

Open evening tonight 5pm-7pm; your chance to see what was been uncovered of Portobello Harbour.

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/230960-re ... ortobello/
Remains of Georgian harbour and old potteries uncovered in dig
STV 26 June 2013 16:27 BST

[[ video ]]

The site in Portobello is being excavated and recorded ahead of the development of the former funfair.

The harbour wall was built in 1787 to serve the pottery industry at Portobello.

From 1765, pottery became an important industry in the area, with the last pottery closing in 1972.

The excavations have uncovered the wall of the harbour along with significant quantities of 19th century pottery, the earliest dated around 1810.

An open evening will be held on Thursday for the public to view the items found by AOC Archaeology.

Cllr Richard Lewis said: "The excavations hope to reveal important information regarding the different types of pottery and styles produced by the potteries at Portobello in particular those relating to the late 18th and early 19th potteries of which very little marked material is known.

"The area’s industry is of national importance and it’s vital we carry out a thorough archaeological excavation of the site to protect Edinburgh’s rich cultural heritage. We’re hoping the public will take the opportunity this Thursday to visit the site and talk to the archaeologists to learn more about the history of Portobello."
wangi
[admin]

Return to Local History