[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - On The Beach

On The Beach

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Postby rathbone » 11 Jan 2007, 10:41

I have nothing to say and I'm going to say it.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 12 Jan 2007, 10:03

On the afternoon of 7 August 1948 high seas battered Portobello beach.

Parts of the Promenade were swept by the heavy seas which ran high for over three hours.The railings in front of the Fun City were carried away. Seaweed and rubbish was strewn about many of the streets.

People who risked running along the Promenade were almost washed away. A dog was caught by the sea and drowned. A small boy who was standing on the incline at the foot of Bath Street was pulled into the water by the backwash and narrowly escaped death, the succeeding wave fortunately carrying him in again.

Many premises along the water front were flooded. A shopkeeper locked his door to keep the water out, but the sea burst the door open, flooding the shop. By eight o’clock the rough seas had abated and the worst was over.

Although the seas had calmed a lot by the Sunday afternoon they were running just as high. Many parts of the Promenade were covered with sand and sea coal.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 13 Jan 2007, 10:10

rathbone

Postby rathbone » 14 Jan 2007, 10:40

rathbone

Postby rathbone » 15 Jan 2007, 11:06

rathbone

Previous

Return to Local History