Public Parks - comments

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Public Parks - comments

Postby Bob Jefferson » 02 Dec 2006, 14:56

In order to maintain thread continuity, can we post comments on the public parks thread here please?
Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 02 Dec 2006, 14:57

With reference to 'Smellie Park'

Cleopas wrote:A forerunner of Stinky Seafield, perhaps? :)
Bob Jefferson

Postby Maria » 05 Dec 2006, 20:23

Bob Jefferson wrote: On 20 September of that year it was reported that the late Mr Smellie's Park was to be purchased by local residents. Those residing in Brighton Place and Crescent would pay five shillings per pound on their rental, while other residents would pay at the rate of two shillings and sixpence. Each subscriber would be furnished with a key and would be entitled to 'a share in the ground for all time coming.'

Do I own a bit of Brighton Park then? :shock:
Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 05 Dec 2006, 20:35

'For all time coming' is a relative term, as is time itself of course, depending upon the vagaries of many things. So, in all probability, no. But if you can find your key it will look very nice in the Portobello Museum.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 05 Dec 2006, 20:37

Marya wrote:
Bob Jefferson wrote: On 20 September of that year it was reported that the late Mr Smellie's Park was to be purchased by local residents. Those residing in Brighton Place and Crescent would pay five shillings per pound on their rental, while other residents would pay at the rate of two shillings and sixpence. Each subscriber would be furnished with a key and would be entitled to 'a share in the ground for all time coming.'

Do I own a bit of Brighton Park then? :shock:

Yes and no! I've often wondered about these areas of parks. I suppose the council adopted them in the same way they adopt roads/footpaths. They certainly don't seem to have taken a written title.
Poppy

Postby Bob Jefferson » 17 Dec 2006, 19:55

Marya, please take note. On the 18 June 2017, Brighton Park will celebrate 150 years since its inauguration. I thought it might be nice if we were to invite the 14th King's Hussars to provide musical entertainment, assuming they are still around. We have a record of the music played on the day so I would venture that some sort of re-enactment might be in order. You might want to think about running up a marquee, cracking open the croquet and providing some escargots de Bourgogne to mark the occasion?

I shall make a note of it in my diary.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Maria » 17 Dec 2006, 20:23

Bob Jefferson wrote:Marya, please take note. On the 18 June 2017, Brighton Park will celebrate 150 years since its inauguration. I thought it might be nice if we were to invite the 14th King's Hussars to provide musical entertainment, assuming they are still around.

This is more the sort of thing the King's Royal Hussars (as they are now named) get up to these days.

Mind you it would still probably cost less in Public Liability Insurance premiums than cover for a bouncy castle and BBQ. :roll:
Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Jan 2007, 16:57

tom nimmo wrote:Nice one Bob, I would guess this is a fairly time consuming activity for you, but I definitly appreciate your efforts. Lots of interesting stuff to read. Thanks
Bob Jefferson

Return to Local History