Porty at War: World War I

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Porty at War: World War I

Postby rathbone » 09 Oct 2011, 07:27

This is a short history of Portobello during World War One.

It is not a history of the War. If you want that there are literally hundreds of thousands of sources you can consult.

I have tried to present a narrative of how everyday life carried on in Portobello through the war years. It is not a day to day account because that would be tedious. What I have done is to take the key dates in the progress of the war and research what was happening in Portobello at the same time. Sometimes this is quite mundane, at others surprising. Sometimes the War is at the forefront, at other times you would hardly think there was a war on at all. Above all this is about ordinary people and their reactions to extraordinary times.

I hope you find it interesting.
I have nothing to say and I'm going to say it.
rathbone

Re: Porty at War

Postby rathbone » 09 Oct 2011, 07:29

On the 28 June 1914 Mr. W.M. Ramsay of Portobello delivered an address to the Church of Scotland Young Men’s Guild to celebrate the semi-jubilee of the Guild Mission at Kalimpong.

On Leith Green Mr. G. Currie of Portobello was defeated by H. Murphy of Summerside in the King George V Coronation Rink bowling trophy competition second round.

It was reported in the Scotsman that 1906 men and 277 ladies had played on Portobello Golf Course during the previous week.

Mrs. Waterson of 172 High Street Portobello wanted an experienced general servant. The salary on offer was £18 per year.

There was a pleasure Boat sailing from Leith to the Bass Rock, calling at Portobello Pier at 2:30 p.m.

Far away in Sarajevo, Bosnia, a young anarchist, Gavrilo Princip, shot and killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 10 Oct 2011, 07:23

It was not until 2 July that anything about the assassination appeared in the Scotsman, with a report of the bodies of the Archduke and Duchess being conveyed from Sarajevo to the Dreadnought Viribus Unitis in Dalmatia.

The report makes clear that there was a concerted plot to kill the Archduke. Even if he hadn’t been shot on the way to a reception at the Town Hall, under the luncheon table two clockwork bombs were found. Another similar bomb was found in the chimney of the room at the residence where the Archduke and Duchess were staying and outside the Town Hall a woman was caught in possession of seven more bombs.

Together with Gavrilo Princip, the perpetrators of these acts were members of The Black Hand Gang
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 11 Oct 2011, 07:29

The big local issue in Portobello that July was the proposed extension of the Edinburgh and Leith Tramway. A conference between the two Councils was held to decide the matter. The sticking point was whether or not Edinburgh City Council would allow the construction of a tramway along Seafield Road from Leith to Portobello. The Edinburgh Councillors were not in favour of the idea of Leith having the management of such a route and an alternative, via Pilrig, avoiding Leith was proposed instead. The Leith Councillors accused the Edinburgh ones of trying to force an amalgamation between the two towns. The conference resulted in no decision on the tramway being reached.

The General Bill Posting Company Ltd. received permission from the Dean of Guild Court to erect advertising hoardings at the entrance to Portobello station.

No.22 Straiton Place was being offered for holiday let between 18th and 31 July. A full apartment list could be obtained from Carmichael the Grocer, in the High Street. As he said in his advertisement: Holidays? Try Portobello, Edinburgh’s seaside suburb. The Gardens, The Golf, The Splendid Beach. Brine Baths which are the best in the Kingdom.
Another apartment list could also be obtained from Mr. W.R. Ramsay, the secretary of the Portobello Merchant’s Association at the Commercial bank.

If you were more inclined to buy property, three tenements, each of two storeys and a basement, together with shops at the front and byres and stables to the rear, numbers 268 - 278 High Street were up for grabs at £2,800 the lot.

The sea cruises carried on with excursions from Portobello to North Berwick, the Bell Rock, Methil and Kirkcaldy. There was dancing on the deck to the ship’s band and refreshments of all kinds at reasonable prices.

The lady of the house at 4 East Brighton Crescent advertised for a nurse/housemaid to look after her three children. While at 3 Regent Street they were looking for a first class laundry maid, and Mrs Ross of 67 Argyle Terrace required a general servant immediately.

William Tripp, of 7 East Brighton Crescent, passed away on 3rd July and was buried in North Merchiston cemetery on the 7th. And as that funeral was taking place William Thomson of 11 Hamilton Terrace also died. His requiem mass was held at St. John’s on the 10th.

Andrew Carmichael of Portobello gained a second class degree in Structural and Field Geology from Edinburgh University

In the Robert Cox Bowling Trophy, Portobello Artisans were drawn against Brunswick.

On the golf course St Michael’s Church Ladies took on Corstorphine Ladies, losing 6-4

Mrs. E. Forbes of Portobello won the Ladies Coach and Pair driving competition at the Dalkeith Agricultural Show.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 12 Oct 2011, 07:21

On 4 July a Unionist demonstration and garden fete was held by the ladies of the Portobello Primrose League in the presence of the Duchess of Abercorn and Lady De La Warr. In the course of the afternoon a programme of sports was carried through and musical selections were provided by the brass band of the Edinburgh Boys’ Brigade and a party of pipers.

At an interval short political addresses were delivered by Major Hope M.P., and Mr. H. B. Constable. Mr. Constable referred to the death of Mr. Chamberlain and said he had left behind him a magnificent example of a life spent in the interests of the Empire. One could not help thinking that at this critical juncture in the political history of the country that the direct cause of Mr. Chamberlain leaving the Liberal party was the very peril with which they were assailed in Ireland.

Major Hope referred to the Government plot to precipitate a crisis in Ulster. He did not believe the Government could crush Ulster resistance without a real and blood bringing campaign. There was no question that the Home Rule Bill must bring civil war if it were passed unamended. They could not enforce it without the use of the whole British Army and he did not believe that the Government would ever be so criminal as to set the Army in motion.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 13 Oct 2011, 07:20

It might be the middle of July, but the Council were now open to offers for the tenancy of Portobello Town Hall for the next Christmas and New Year season.

It was glorious weather for the East of Scotland Lawn Tennis Championships at Liberton. Unfortunately Portobello’s hope, Miss Edith Balfour was knocked out in the second round of the Ladies’ Singles by Miss R.G. Fenton 6-0, 6-0.

26 The Promenade was being offered for summer let, with good sea views, as was 1 Duddingston Park ( but without the sea view.)

Grocer’s assistants, specifically first and second countermen were being sought for a ‘high-class’ licensed grocer’s shop in Portobello High street.

Mr. Schwartz was looking for an experienced young lady to work behind the cash desk at the Marine Gardens.

Alex Morrison was selling a stable, coach house and yard in Rosefield Place Lane. It had three stalls and room for two carriages.

Within Mount Charles house in Bath Street, there was an auction of household effects, including 20 leather chairs, bronze and ivory figures, a large number of art prints. Books on medical and general literature. semi-grand and cottage pianofortes and a chinese gong.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 14 Oct 2011, 07:21

As the crisis in the Balkans developed, life in Portobello went on as usual.

Edinburgh Town Council announced that it now had the consent of the Board of Trade, under the Edinburgh Electric Lighting Act 1891, to erect a power station at Portobello, and were now awaiting permission to lay pipes to bring in the sea water for condensing purposes.

The Portobello Rowing Regatta was held on 11 July. While the weather was warm , the sea was rough and so stiff was the easterly breeze and so ugly the run of the waves which took boats on the course broadside on, that the start was considerably delayed.

The chief event was a Scottish Jolly Boat Championship for the portobello Challenge Cup. The course was about one mile round buoys at Joppa. The cup was won handsomely by the Eastern Amateur Rowing Club by half a dozen lengths after leading all the way.

The Edinburgh and Leith Postal Band played on the Promenade in the evening.

At the St Bernard’s Football Club Sports, Portobello Thistle beat Roseberry to get into the final of the Five a Side tournament, but went down 2-1 to Musselburgh Athletic.

Mr. Thomas Simpson of Portobello won first prize in the large white breed boar class at the Edinburgh Highland Games

88 Argyle Crescent, a desirable four-bedroom house, was on the market for £450.

58 Bath Street was looking for a good general servant to assist young woman in the work of a small cafe. The applicant must be thoroughly reliable and honest.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 15 Oct 2011, 07:16

On 21 July an excursion train from Portobello to Glasgow was stopped 120 yards outside Saughton station when the guard observed one of the passengers fall from the train. He found a young man about 25 years of age, respectably dressed, was severely injured, having fallen on his head. The injured man died about five minutes after the accident. He seems to have been traveling alone but some people in the carriage gave his name and address as R. Reilly, 40 Cavendish Street, Glasgow. No explanation of how the accident occurred could be secured from any of the other passengers. The body was taken to the mortuary at Corstorphine.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 16 Oct 2011, 07:24

On the 23 July Austria - Hungary demanded that Serbia arrest the leaders of the Black Hand Gang. Serbia refused.

Meanwhile life went on as normal in Portobello.

Mrs. Urquhart of 11 John Road , who had just given birth to a new baby, wanted a nurse housemaid, with some experience and good references.

On the golf course the St Michael’s Church ladies team played their monthly medal competition, which was won this month by Miss Dorward.

At a meeting of Edinburgh Town Council, the councillors couldn’t make up their mind about the need for a public wash-house for Portobello and the matter was remitted to a sub-committee

The Paper Mill in Portobello were looking for a blacksmith and two general labourers.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 17 Oct 2011, 07:18

The following day Serbia appealed to Russia for help.

A lady, who signed herself simply A.B. wrote to the Scotsman complaining that on a journey from West Linton to Edinburgh: “... after Leadburn I got the compartment to myself till Portobello was reached, when four gallant Scots invaded my loneliness, as drunk as drunk could be. Fortunately a lady and gentleman also came in. We had a long stoppage in the tunnel, with no light whatever, and, to crown it all, the darkness was filled with horrid sounds of sickness, which had worse possibilities....”

There was a sale of ryegrass hay at Dalhousie Mains. You could pick up 100 tons at reasonable prices. A motor bus was leaving Portobello Station at 1:30 p.m.

At George Watson’s College Walter Bailey of Portobello won the annual prize for economics, and at the Ladies College Mary Shanks won a bursary entitling her to free education for the session 1914 -15.

At 2 Durham Road Mr. and Mrs. Victor Wood had a new baby son.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 18 Oct 2011, 07:19

On 28 July Austria- Hungary declared war on Serbia. Serbia had no real army to speak of. Austria Hungary had 2,260,000.

Austria began bombarding Belgrade at nine in the morning. The Bombardment lasted until noon. The inhabitants were leaving the city which expected a fresh attack in the evening.

In Russia huge numbers of people gathered in St Petersburg. Impromptu meetings were held in all parts of the city and the scene was one of unprecedented enthusiasm for war.
Germany said it could offer Austria Hungary 3,850,000 troops in support. Russia said it could offer Serbia 5,360,000.

According to the Scotsman Great Britain was making a final effort to find a formula acceptable to the antagonists, but there was very little hope of success, largely owing to Germany’s attitude

In the Scotsman it was announced that the stoneware manufacturer Alexander Buchan, J.P. of 8 East Brighton Crescent, who had died the previous June, had left the princely sum of £11,251 in his will.

In the evening the Musselburgh and Fisherrow Trades Band played on the Promenade.

Mrs. Caldwell of Windsor Place was advertising a successful treatment for stammering and stuttering.

22 Regent Street, described as a 3-bedroom cottage, was on the market for rent.

Special cruises were sailing from Portobello round Inchkeith every evening at 6:30 p.m.

If you telephoned Portobello 121 you could hire a six cylinder Landaulette with driver.
Failing that, you could buy a 3 horse power Minerva motor cycle for £7 for G. Valvona and Sons.

Thomas Bunyan of 7 Mentone Avenue married Ann Buchanan of Dolphingston.

The resident of 58 Regent Street was trying to off-load two fox terrier puppies, cheap.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 19 Oct 2011, 07:17

On 1 August Germany declared war on Russia

Mrs. Walter Black of 14 Park Avenue was delivered of a son, while further along Park Avenue, at No. 4, Joseph Potter died at the age of 51.

Ann Spence of 72 Promenade married Francis Dixon.

The following day Major Hugh Christian of 13 Durham Road died at the age of 83. Major Christian had been Provost of Portobello from 1882 until 1891. In 1896 he lead a deputation of inhabitants, landowners, and rate payers of Portobello to Westminster to protest against the proposal to amalgamate Edinburgh and Portobello.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 20 Oct 2011, 07:16

On 3 August Germany declared war on France.

There was an immediate stoppage of all sailings from British ports.

A number of Germans who had been holidaying in Portobello were now stranded there because there were no sailings from Leith to Hamburg. The German Consul advised them to travel to Harwich

The pleasure cruises on the steamers from Portobello Pier were suspended.

Salted fish was piling up in storage at Leith because it was impossible to ship it over to the continent.

The price of foodstuffs was rising rapidly. The price of butter went up 20 shillings a cwt. in just a week. and cheese by 5 shillings in the same period. Sugar had doubled The price of eggs had soared and they were becoming a scarce commodity.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 21 Oct 2011, 07:22

On 4 August German troops entered Belgium and as a consequence Britain declared war on Germany.

There was an emergency meeting of Edinburgh Corporation. Many of their staff had been called up for military service, including the medical superintendent at the City Hospital.

Emergency regulations led to the registration of all enemy aliens living in Edinburgh. This showed that there were just over 300 germans in the city, mostly working as waiters, barbers and tailors.

One lady in Portobello advertised that she was prepared to offer her house for the accommodation of six beds for the treatment of any sick or wounded who might be landed in the Edinburgh area.

All remaining band performances in Portobello were cancelled for the duration.

Numerous contractors had intimated that they could no longer adhere to the terms of their contracts in view of the rapid rise in prices.

From W & AK Johnston’s in St Andrew Square you could buy a European War Map, fully coloured, for 2/6d.

At 32 Wellington Street John Nesbit died. For over fifty years he had run the chemist shop in Portobello High Street.

Mrs. Urquhart of John Street’s yorkshire Terrier Pompey went missing.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 22 Oct 2011, 07:18

By 7 August Lord Kitchener was calling for 100,000 men to join British Army.
On 12 August Austro Hungarian troops invaded Serbia and on 14 August French troops entered Lorraine.

Motorists going from Portobello to Berwick were advised to go via the inland routes and on no account to go via Haddington and Dunbar They were warned to drive with great care, particularly when going round corners in case of troops being on the road. Troops had precedence at all times and motorists must stop immediately when requested by the military.

In a fund-raising effort for the Red Cross, Adam Grieve of 58 Joppa Road, John Forsyth of the High Street and W.A. Gray all donated £5. J.A. GRay of 52 Park Avenue gave £1 to the National Relief fund. Richard Cooper & Co gave £50, Thomas Miller of 168 High Street £1, Mrs. Dickie of 4 Stanley Street 1 Guinea, Robert Merrie of the same address the same amount and John Ferguson of 2 St. Marks Place £1

The council pushed on with new seating in Portobello Town Hall. Sealed tenders had to be lodged with the Town Clerk by 7 September.

Notice was given that everyone who was entitled to vote in Portobello should register at the municipal buildings by 12 noon on 6th October.

The Board of Trade gave notice to the North British Railway Company that it considered that the hours worked by engine men on the route between Portobello and North Berwick was excessive and asked the company to take steps to reduce these hours.

Golf carried on on Portobello Golf Course, with Mr. L. Hollister and Mr. D. McQuillan tying for the Williams Cup presented by the Portobello Licensed Victuallers.

Numerous adverts were still appearing for cooks, housemaids and general servants in the Portobello area.

Food was becoming scarcer, but who said starve? You could order barrels of salt herrings from Wm. Slate for 20s a barrel.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 23 Oct 2011, 07:20

Once the British Expeditionary Force arrived in France on 22 August things began to move quickly. The following day the Battle of Mons began, and, two days later the Battle of Tannenberg.

Compulsory military training was introduced as the need had arisen for every able bodied man of appropriate age to put himself under military training for the defence of his country’s interests.

Undeterred by the war R&J Scott put in an application to the Dean of Guild Court to build two cottages at Baileyfield Road.

At the Jewel cottages, between Niddrie and Portobello, 24 year old Andrew Walker was killed when he stopped to adjust the harness of his horse. He had stood on one of the shafts to the cart, which was loaded with 30 cwts of fish offal, but had unfortunately slipped off, startling the horse, which then dragged the cart over him. He was taken to the Royal Infirmary in the Portobello police ambulance, but died on the way.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 24 Oct 2011, 07:19

28 August saw the start of the Battle of Heligoland

A lad of 17 named William Gray was sentenced to three months imprisonment for breaking into an ice cream parlour on Portobello Promenade and stealing a quantity of articles. James Wilson, and Archibald Wallace, who were both 14 and said to have no home, were each sentenced to 12 stripes of the birch.

Miss Williamson of John Street gave £50 to the national relief fund and Daniel Ross £10 Miss Shepherd of 90 High Street gave £1

St James Parish Church wanted a new organist, annual salary £15

Help us to retain our staff during the war. If you wish to economise there is no better method than taking advantage of the dyer and cleaner. A&J MacNab, 240 High St. Portobello.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 25 Oct 2011, 07:18

As September dawned the Battle of the Marne began.

A new recruiting office was opened in Portobello Police Court Room. During the first week eighty recruits for Lord Kitchener’s new army had been medically passed and attested as fit for service.

In the Court itself William Floeder, a fifty year old German pleaded not guilty to begging from two ladies in Portobello. The evidence showed that he had told the women, and subsequently the police. that he had been discharged from the local bottle making works because of his nationality. This was shown to be untrue. Floeder said that the ladies had trembled when he said that he was a German and they had probably misunderstood what he said. The Magistrate noted the Floeder had smooth white hands, not those that one would expect if he engaged in manual labour. The Magistrate asked why Floeder had not returned to Germany when war broke out. Floeder replied that he had nothing to do with the army or the war. The Magistrate admonished him with the remark that such conduct could not be tolerated and recommended his removal to Redford detention camp. Floeder was accordingly handed over to the military authorities.

Monsieur Tegg of Portobello announced that he would gladly give free lessons in conversational french to any nurses preparing to go to the front.

A special collection for the war effort was held in St. Mark’s Church yielded £25.

At the valuation appeal court Miss Agnes McGregor appealed against the Assessor’s valuation of £50 on her Show ground, Rifle Range and Photographic Studio at 74 Promenade Portobello. The Court reduced the valuation to £25,

During the construction of the railway bridge at the top of Brunstane Road, three of the workmen, Alex Sandilands, James Naxton and William Wills were seriously injured. The iron plates which were to form the top of the structure were being placed in position when the bridge collapsed on to the three men. Sandilands received concussion of the brain and injury to one of his shoulders. Naxton had a rib broken and Wills a wound to the left eye, left elbow broken and right wrist sprained. The men were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Naxton and Wills were allowed to go after their wounds were attended to, but Sandilands was detained.

Mr. Goodall of 21 Straiton Place decided to sell his Darracq touring car. It was a 25 hp 5 seater fully equipped with lamps, horn and tools. A snip at £60. He also offered lessons on both driving and motor mechanics.

Mr. Melrose of 29 Tower Street was selling his five year old dark brown welsh pony.

Portobello Thistle went down 2-1 to Tranent Juniors in the Dalmeny Cup

The tenth annual competition of the Scottish Amateur Band Association was held at the Marine Gardens. Mr. Herbert Bennett was the judge and the test piece was Strauss’ Love and Laughter. The winners were the Lassodie Public Band under their conductor Mr. F. Farrand.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 26 Oct 2011, 07:18

On 13 September French troops began the attack on the German army at the river Aisne

With the publication of the new electoral register for Portobello, it was noted that the number of people eligible to vote had risen from 1,707 to 1,746.

In an endeavour to avoid running over a dog, the driver of a motor car proceeding towards Portobello swerved suddenly to the side with the result that the vehicle capsized and he and the two other occupants were thrown out. Messrs. J & G Watson, builders, were only slightly injured, but James Wood, a joiner, had to be taken to the Royal Infirmary where he was found to be suffering from scalp lacerations and concussion.

The Lord Provost’s Committee of Edinburgh Town Council considered proposals to widen and extend the promenade at Portobello and to provide open air salt water baths. A report was to be commissioned from the Burgh Engineer. It was also noted that a portion of the Portobello to Leith road at Seafield was to be altered for bridge building by the North British Railway Company and also a part of Milton Road between Brunstane Road and the Duddingston farm steading.

The Championship Cup at the twentieth annual Scottish Champion Band competition at the Marine gardens was won buy the Darvil Burgh Band.

Between Lee Crescent and 4 East Brighton Crescent the key to a large chest was dropped and lost.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 27 Oct 2011, 07:22

25 September saw the start of the Battle of Albert

It was decided by the Portobello Ladies Golf Club to devote one third of the accumulated funds of the club to a donation for blankets for the troops.

Mr. Barnie of 11 Straiton Place had decided to offer up the use of his home for foreign language lessons.

In a friendly two rink match at Portobello Bowls Club, the hosts lost to Musselburgh by 13 shots.

Special music classes for lads and men were being held in Portobello High School. They taught sight reading, musical appreciation and voice production for a fee of five shillings.

A gas fire ensures cosy comfort when you rise, whilst you dress and when you retire. No preparation is needed, no aftermath of dirt, dust and ashes entailed, and you are protected against chills and cold. With a gas heater you can have really hot water in the bath, bedroom or kitchen at any hour, night or day, without lighting the kitchen fire and without troubling your servants. Can anything be pleasanter than a hot bath whenever you want it? Efficient gas appliances may be seen under working conditions at the Gas Commissioners showrooms, Portobello
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 28 Oct 2011, 07:20

The Battle of Arras began on 1 October.

The order was issued to the relevant authorities that no public lights were to be lit on the Portobello sea front until further notice. This precaution applied only to public lights and not lights in the windows of shops and houses.

A special Edinburgh Battalion of 800 men was set up under the command of Sir Robert Cranston. The recruiting station was in Portobello and each man who enlisted was give a pair of boots and a shirt specially made by local unemployed seamstresses.

At a meeting of the Edinburgh Presbytery of the Church of Scotland it was agreed that the congregations in Portobello would co-operate with each other in holding united services of intercession during the war. A week of special services would be held in all the churches, starting on Sunday 4th October and a Day of Humiliation and prayer would be observed on such a weekday as may be regarded as most generally convenient for each of the congregations.

Miss Alice McCrindle, soprano vocalist, of Kelton House, Brunstane Road began advertising singing and voice production lessons.

Andre Letta, the Scottish Court Conjuror was now taking bookings for the winter season
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 29 Oct 2011, 07:37

On 5 October the first German aircraft were shot down by allied planes

The war was proving an inconvenience to the Edinburgh Pigeon Fancier’s club. They usually met in the Corn Exchange for their annual show, but that had now been taken over as the headquarters of a battalion of the Territorials and they were forced to take a smaller room at 1 Blenheim Place. The winner for best pouter was H. Shields of Portobello.

Between Portobello and Craigentinny a light engine running on the North British Railway ran into the back of a stationary goods train injuring the guards. One of these, James Marr of 1 Ramsay Place Portobello was thrown violently to the floor, but escaped with only bruises. The other, William McClumphie of Albert Street fractured his collar bone and had a cut on the left side of his head.

In the Sheriff Court Jack Watson pleaded guilty to stealing two bicycles from outside Portobello Baths. His Lordship, Lord Orr said the accused seemed to be a person becoming dangerous to society and sentenced him to eighteen months imprisonment.

William Nairn, who had previously been the manager of a pub in Shawlands in Glasgow was granted a licence to open a drinking establishment at 73 High Street Portobello
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 30 Oct 2011, 08:20

15 October: Battle of Ypres

It was announced that the new Portobello Town Hall would be opened by Lord Provost Inches on Friday 30 October. It had taken 2 years to build and cost £8,000.
However, the Council had still not decided whether to build a public washhouse in Portobello or not.

The body of a well dressed man was observed floating in the sea off the east end of Portobello Promenade and was recovered and removed to Edinburgh City mortuary, where it was identified as that of Peter Smith, a sixty year old private tutor.
The Rev. William Farquharson of St. Andrew’s Church in Hawick announced that he had been called to serve as the new minister at St. Philip’s Church in Portobello.

Mrs. Raeburn of 9 Promenade Terrace was advertising that she had a bedroom and sitting room suitable for two gentlemen sharing, and she was a good cook.

John Carron, from 3 Ramsay Place, who worked as a conductor on the trams, was given a reward of 10/- for rendering assistance to the police.

Portobello bowls club donated £6 13s to the National Relief Fund.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 31 Oct 2011, 08:19

On 16 October Canadian troops arrived in Britain

For some time rumours had been circulating about the Continental Chocolate Factory, the large red brick building opposite the top end of Kings Road. The building rests on a solid concrete foundation and occupies a site of strategic importance. It commands Leith Docks, four roads, the east coast and Midland railway lines and the whole of the valley between Portobello and Edinburgh. It was well known that the owner, William Schulze, was german. and that most of the skilled workmen in the factory were also german. In the interests of public safety the Edinburgh police, armed with the necessary warrant, paid a visit to the factory on 16 October and made a thorough inspection of the place. The officers of the law were engaged in this task for several hours, but nothing of a compromising character was found in the building. Both of Mr. Schulze’s sons were present during the inspection. The attention of the military authorities had also been called to this factory and it was also subject to inspection by them to determine where the existence of such a building at an important strategical point is both desirable or permissible except under adequate safeguards. As neither Mr Schulze or his sons were naturalised britons, they were regarded as enemy aliens. A total of 12 alien ‘enemies’ of military age were afterwards taken to Edinburgh in a police wagon.

The employees of the Portobello Family Laundry gave a donation of 3 guineas to the Relief Fund

Robert Ewart (54) from 36 Joppa Road, who worked as a night watchman was hit and killed by an express train while crossing the line near the Niddrie North signal box on the way home from work.

3 Skua were observed around Portobello Pier, harassing the gulls within two hundred yards of the high water mark. This was the first time for many years that skuas had been observed at Portobello. Between 6 and 8 red throated divers were seen between Ethel Terrace and Joppa and a large company of gannets were seen fishing off Eastfield and a flock of 14 wild geese passed over Portobello traveling west.

Two fishermen, William and Thomas Wilson from Newhaven pleaded guilty to fishing illegally off Portobello. Their normal business was fishing for sprats but after war broke out the market for sprats collapsed and they found themselves unemployed. Consequently they started fishing for flounders contrary to the Scottish Fishery Board by-law. During the time they were out they only got one flounder. They were fined 5/- each.

In the upcoming municipal elections it was announced that rather than the usual practice of the Portobello Councillor, Samuel Carmichael being re-elected unopposed, he would be challenged by Robert Gillespie of 2 Joppa Road, a member of an extreme socialist party calling itself the Labour Party of Great Britain.

Over sixty runners from the Edinburgh Souther Harriers took part in a six mile race against the 5th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment. The race started and finished at Portobello Baths.

499 people still managed to play on Portobello Golf course over the previous week.

During the week a total of 1,379 books were issued from Portobello library. Of these 841 were works of fiction, 433 were children’s books, 48 history, 15 science, 6 philosophy, 5 religious, 4 poetry and the rest general literature.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 01 Nov 2011, 08:20

29 October: Turkey allied itself with Germany and Austria-Hungary.

The Rohilla, a steamer of 7,400 tons, which was being used as a hospital ship out of Queensferry sank about a mile south of Whitby, with loss of life. Aboard was William Lindberg of 23 Viewforth Buildings Portobello, who was a fireman. Late in the afternoon his wife received a telegram reading: “Rohilla wrecked. I am saved. Lindberg.”

The contents of 2 St Mary’s Place Portobello were sold at auction, from the superior pianoforte down to the mangle and the lawnmower. Another similar sale was being held at 8 East Brighton Crescent, and again the mangle completed the list.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 02 Nov 2011, 08:17

The German paper Hamburgischer Correspondent carried an article on the Portobello Chocolate Factory saying: ” The military authorities have taken possession of a large german factory near Edinburgh, in which were found several extraordinarily solid foundations which might have been used for setting up heavy guns and which would command not only the town of Edinburgh, but also the Forth Bridge and the naval base at Rosyth. The factory in question was built in 1904 and is said to give work to 500 men. As a matter of fact the number is only 6. The only comment we can make on this discovery is the single sentence: The English make their ghost hunting absolutely laughable.”

104 new pupils enrolled at Portobello High School during the autumn term, an increase of 19 on the previous year. However, the Higher Education Committee decided that a number of Belgian refugee boys who had applied for enrollment could not attend free of charge. The matter was remitted to the Convenor and the Clerk to make a final decision. (They decided to let the boys attend for free.)

The Niddrie & Benhar Coal Company Ltd., based in Portobello, announced that it was stopping all transfers of its debenture stock from 2 November.

The Reverend William Farquharson of Hawick was inducted as new minister at St Philip’s Portobello. The minister’s post had been rendered vacant by the death of the Reverend William Ewing earlier in the year. After the induction there was a reception for the new minister where he was presented by welcome gifts from the congregation.

William Millar of 10 Bath Street was offering a chocolate coloured Pomeranian, with good pedigree, cheap to a good home.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 03 Nov 2011, 08:18

Under the auspices of the Portobello Temperance Council, an institute was opened in Pipe Street for the benefit of soldiers now quartered in Portobello. The institute was set up in the former Free Church School and had been fitted up most comfortably as a reading, writing and recreation room with an abundant choice of games and a fresh supply of books and magazines. The room will be available every evening to men in uniform and tea and cakes will be served.

The Portobello Labour Association called for a minimum allowance of £1 a week to soldiers maimed by the war, to widows of soldiers killed and to dependents when the bread winner was on active service.

The employees of Portobello Potteries donated £5 to the Relief Fund and Portobello Amateur Rowing Club gave £2

With quiet and impressive simplicity, the remains of the sixth Duke of Buccleuch were laid to rest in the family chapel in Dalkeith Palace. Royalty, nobility and commoners alike were mourners. In Edinburgh the flags flew at half mast. The mourners were led by Queen Alexandra who laid a white floral cross and a wreath of violets on the coffin. Portobello was represented by the Reverend James Oliver.

The annual general meeting of the Portobello Cemetery Company was held. Internments were down on the previous year (621 as compared to 704). Consequently income was also down. The overall balance on the annual accounts was £229 11s 3d.

Mrs Dalgleish of 7 Park Avenue gave birth to twin girls.

36 Tower Street wasn’t selling, so the asking price was reduced to £130.

Portobello Thistle beat Musselburgh Athletic 2-1 in the Midlothian Junior League
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 04 Nov 2011, 08:20

Mr. Thomas Paterson, of Rosebank Lane, received a postcard from his son Thomas, a private in the Scots Guards to say that he had been taken prisoner and was now being held in a camp at Gottingen, Germany.

The employees of the Portobello Cooperative Society donated £4 14/- to the Relief Fund and the staff of Portobello High School £4 10s 9d

Under the provisions of the Edinburgh Extension Act of 1896,Edinburgh Town Council decided to make an order to provide for the maintenance of a Fever Hospital at Portobello.

One of the two twin girls born to Mrs. Dalgleish of 7 Park Avenue died. The Dalgleish’s had called her Gladys, but she had not been christened.

2 Sydney Terrace were advertising for an experienced general servant.

Miss Williams of Seabeach House was offering french lessons.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 05 Nov 2011, 08:19

On 21 November the British Army invaded Mesopotamia (present day Iraq).

The 6:10 p.m. passenger train from Gorebridge to Waverley was in violent collision with a goods engine near Brunstane foot bridge. 11 people were injured. The goods engine had been shunting out of the Portobello loop line when it was struck by the Gorebridge train. The goods engine was carried about 100 yards along the line. The Gorebridge train left the rails. It came down on its side, bursting its water tank. The three passenger coaches telescoped into each other, trapping the passengers on board. People living nearby who heard the noise immediately phoned for the police and ambulance. Within an hour all 50 passengers, including the injured, had been got out and attended to. The driver and fireman of the goods engine were both taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary as were three of the passengers from the Gorebridge train. The rest of the injured were treated at the scene. One of the passengers, Alexander Bennet, who broke both legs, successfully sued the train company for compensation and was awarded £1,000.

Reverent Dr. Jamieson called on his congregation to consider whether, in the present circumstances, it would not be an advantage to the church and a benefit to the nation if they would practice total abstinence until the need of it ceased. When someone asked when that would come, he responded that it was for every man to judge for himself.

The hire charges for the new Portobello Town Hall were set as 5 guineas for concerts and political meetings and 3 guineas for other meetings

A lady in Regent Street, who claimed to be a specialist in mending and darning was offering her services for 3d per hour.

Mr. Jack of 53 Regent Street was offering his services as a Chauffeur and car mechanic.

228 men and 30 ladies played golf on the Portobello course over the previous week.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 06 Nov 2011, 08:18

A recruiting meeting for the McCrae Battalion was held in Portobello Town Hall. Sir George McCrae was received with hearty cheering. He said he wanted men for two reasons. First, he wanted large reinforcements for the purpose of giving some rest to those who had been fighting the long weary battle. The second reason why he wanted a very large number of men, fresh men, was that there should be a sufficient force at the right place at the right time. Sir James Leishman said that he was glad to know that up till then Scotland as at the head of the recruiting returns. Scotland could do better, but up till then it had been the best. What had Edinburgh done by way of example as the capital of Scotland? He was glad to say almost, but not quite, 20,000 young men of Edinburgh had joined the forces of the Crown. Edinburgh had done well, but it could do better. There were some men who said when the McCrae battalion was projected that Edinburgh was played out. That it as dried up. That there were only slackers, shirkers and cowards left. He deprecated this black balling of young men for not doing their duty and he objected to the way in which, by cartoon and otherwise, footballers and others had been pilloried in the press. There was no worse way to get men to enlist than the way these young men had been insulted. Footballers and others had done extremely well to his knowledge. Over 300 people attended the meeting.

James Veitch of Portobello donated 1 ton of potatoes towards the war effort.

Mr. Andre Letta, the Scottish Court Conjuror of Portobello announced that he would be putting on special christmas entertainments for the troops, featuring the Royal Bohemians, harmonious humorists.

An elderly woman was found half drowned in the Figgate burn by police sergeant Fraser and police constable McIntosh who removed her to Portobello Police Station where she was examined by Dr. Fraser. She was unable to submit to interrogation as to her identity.

A representative gathering of Roman Catholics from Portobello met to consider that steps should be taken in connection with the refusal of the Edinburgh School Board to grant free books to children attending St. John’s school. It was pointed out that the Edinburgh School Board was practically the only one in the country which occupied the position of refusing the claims of Roman Catholic children. It was decided to send a deputation to the School Board asking them to recognise the claims of necessitous Roman Catholic school children to free books and, were that unproductive, to try other means.

William Low & Co. of 7 Brighton Place were advertising for a first hand grocer. Good references were essential. Henry Calder and Sons, on the High Street were similarly advertising for a first grocery counterman.

At the paper mill they needed paper makers, cutter men and reeler men.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 07 Nov 2011, 08:19

A concert was held in Portobello Town Hall in aid of the Belgian Relief Fund. An appropriate beginning was made with the singing of the Belgian national anthem, the audience rising to their feet while it was being rendered. The main performers were the soprano, Miss McCrindle, the contralto, Miss Thomson, the tenor Mr. Clapperton and the baritone Mr. Borthwick. In the course of the evening the vocalists gave an excellent account of themselves. The violin solos by Mr. Winram were received with marked approval. Mr. Adair’s humourous sketches and recitations created much amusement and he also struck a popular note with an optimistic little monologue dealing with the war

Outside the Town Hall James, the three year old son of Robert McGeorge, a soldier on military service, ran in front of a tram car, was knocked down and run over, sustaining severe injuries. After receiving medical aid the child was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where he died three hours after the accident.

St. John’s Roman Catholic school announced that 90 of its former pupils were now serving in the armed forces overseas.

Mr. Codona of Tower Street wanted to buy some gas heating radiators. They had to be in good condition and cheap for cash.

Goodall’s garage was offering second hand motor tyres of all sizes at £3 for a set of four.

On the golf course the weekly total of players had dropped to 107 men and 16 ladies.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 08 Nov 2011, 08:23

On 21 December the new Royal Air Force carried out the first ever night bombing raid.

It was announced that 750 Portobello men were now serving their country as soldiers and sailors. A concert was held in the Town Hall to raise funds to send them all a useful Christmas gift. Sir Robert Cranston took the opportunity to say that, while he accepted that it was not right for a man to enlist if he was the sole support of his mother, it was the bounden duty of every man who was free to join. The working classes were just not doing their duty. The life of every young man was not his own, but belonged to the country and he should not hesitate if need be to give his life for his country. Of the 750 men from Portobello 100 had been privileged to go to the front and would not come back. The men who had fallen had died for a cause which was ever held dear to Scotland, the cause of liberty. He had no doubt that Portobello would know how to honour the memory of her sons when the war was over.

(The 750 men represented 80% of the unmarried male population of Portobello between the ages of 19 and 35)

The Portobello Rotary Club held a special concert in the Gaiety Theatre for the children of the servicemen. The Lord Provost Wished them a happy new year. They might think that curious when their fathers and brothers were engaged in one of the most awful wars that had ever been thrust upon the country and were fighting at the front for their country, and fighting not only for the Empire, but for freedom, for liberty, for the abolition of german culture and for the propagation of humanity. Nevertheless, he said, it might have been worse, as was seen from the position not only of the French and Belgian children, but of the French and Belgians generally. Their sad fate was a great deal worse and he had no doubt they would extend their sympathy to them and wish for a speedy ending of the war.

The Portobello Club provided its annual treat for poor old folk in Pipe Street Hall. After tea, cake and fruit had been served there was a vocal recital and Mr. J.O. Fraser regaled the gathering by recalling old time happenings in Portobello.

With the building of the new Power Station at the junction of Kings Road and the High Street it was decided to take the opportunity of widening the High Street and the whole length of Kings Road and to change the narrow and pointed turn into Portobello Road into a broad cross roads.

The Rev. Merrick Walker of Portobello was appointed officiating clergymen to Baptist and Congregational troops.

Members of the Edinburgh Harriers, the 4th Royal Scots and the Waverley Harriers had a seven mile spin together from Portobello Baths and back.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 09 Nov 2011, 08:19

25 December saw the famous Christmas truce on the western front when a football match between the two armies was held on no-man’s land.

Sir George McCrae’s Portobello battalion marched through the centre of Edinburgh on Christmas Day.

The 5th Battalion and 7th Battalion of Royal Scots, who were now stationed at the Portobello Chocolate factory, had a christmas dinner at the Marine Gardens which was followed by cinematograph entertainment which was provided for the wives and families of the soldiers.

Mrs Moscrip went round Portobello selling flags in aid of the Lord Provost’s fund for sending comforts to the troops. After a night of rain, the day was not too promising and when she started at eight in the morning there was every prospect of a cold, dreary and, perhaps, wet task. Nothing daunted she stuck to her task and was rewarded by an improvement in the weather which made her labour of love more congenial and at the same time made it more fruitful in results as the dry and bracing end to the day brought out people in large numbers. As a result of the flag selling over £800 was realised.

The pupils of Portobello High School sent a christmas box to the troops valued at £6 2s 6d
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 10 Nov 2011, 08:22

The New Year was brought in with a watch night service held in St. James’ church by the Portobello Young Men’s Guild. Messages from members at the front were read and men invalided home through wounds were present. 120 members of the Young Men’s Guild were currently absent through military duty.

The Portobello Boys Brigade band paraded along the High Street

In the Portobello Parish Mission hall about 200 women and children, the dependents of serving soldiers and sailors, were entertained to tea and a concert by Mr. Gilbert Currie M.P.

A concert organised by the Portobello Ward of the Edinburgh High Constables Society raised £35 10s 7d. It was decided to send all of the Portobello men who were on active service or prisoners of war a woolen balaclava, a pair of mittens and a cake of shortbread each.

James Milne, a miller, injured himself when he fell off the end of the platform at Portobello station. He was cut about the head and face and strained his groin.

Like most other people, the bird fancier had been affected by the war. The numbers submitting birds to the Scottish Cage Bird Society annual show was way down on previous years. In many cases exhibitors had not taken the risk of sending their birds long distances. Having said that, there were more than 1,600 exhibitors, mostly men over military age. J.H. Buchan of West Promenade Terrace won third prize in the Buff Hen, any colour category.

37 Argyle Crescent were selling a grey gelding polo pony. They thought it might be suitable for a gentleman on home service. Also for sale was a 4-wheeled trap and a set of harness.

Collins, the Butcher on the High Street was looking for an assistant. He must be a good shop man and able to kill.

Mr. Barnett of 2 Melville Street was looking for a youth to learn to drive and look after his motor car.

308 High Street was looking for a good domesticated housekeeper who was able to cook.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 11 Nov 2011, 08:19

Edinburgh Town Council proposed closing the Portobello Hospital and transferring its patients to Colinton Mains. There was considerable opposition to this among the Portobello community and the Public Health Committee decided to drop the proposal.

Two military gentlemen in a motor car which knocked down a man in Portobello Road at 11p.m. were requested to communicate with the Police station.

Mr. William Torrance of Mount Lodge Portobello was elected as a member of the Scottish Commercial Travellers’ Association.

Greenlees and Sons were advertising for a shop somewhere in Portobello which they could rent in order to open a boot repair business.

No. 8 East Brighton Crescent came on the market, offered for sale at £600.
No 14 Bellfield Lane was for sale at £650
and 18 Melville Street was for rent at £34 per year.

Following a storm a number of dead birds where washed up on the beach, including a pink footed goose, five common guillemots, one ringed guillemots, one razorbill, nine little auks, three scaup ducks and two golden eyed ducks.
rathbone

Next

Return to Local History