Porty at War: World War II

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Re: Porty at War: World War II

Postby rathbone » 04 Mar 2012, 08:24

In June the Nazis began the mass murder of Jews by gassing at Auschwitz.

19 year old Janet Lyall of 11 Portobello High Street was killed in a freak accident on a bus in Johnston Terrace. She had been seated at the back of the bus and rose, with the intention of getting off, but before the bus came to a standstill she lost her balance, fell down the stairs and on to the road where she sustained a severe head injury from which she died.

Whilst allotments were being dug, a medal was unearthed. It was much corroded, but on one side could be deciphered the Royal Arms and on the other a representation of half a dozen ships of the caravel class. Round the edge of the medal were the words: “Portobello taken by Admiral Vernon with six ships November 22 1739.

17 year old Andrew Rankin of Portobello won the Royal Empire Society’s Silver medal for literature, the first Scottish person ever to do so, and the youngest. He was also appointed an Honorary Companion of the Society.

Dr. George Wood of Portobello left over £34,000 in his will.

Strangs Tractors of Pipe Street were looking for a yard somewhere in Portobello which they wanted to rent as storage for their agricultural implements.
I have nothing to say and I'm going to say it.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 05 Mar 2012, 08:31

July 1 saw the first Battle of El Alamein.

Wing Commander James Rankin of 44 Henderson Row was further honoured, this time with a bar to his DSO and the Croix De Guerre. He had led 100 Spitfires in a sweep over Abbeville. The Air Ministry announced that he had at all times shown great tactical skill, courage and leadership, combined with a great determination to seek and engage with the enemy.

Sgt. Hutchinson of Portobello was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his great keenness for operational flying and disregard for danger.

Large crowds from Glasgow descended on Portobello for the trades holiday. On Portobello Promenade there was a Punch and Judy show and dancing in the evening.

All of the fixtures and fittings of The Marine Gardens were up for sale, down to the condiment sets from the restaurant tables.

The nursing home at 28 Brighton Place was advertising for nurses at a salary of £100 a year. The fees for staying at the nursing home were 3 guineas a week.

James Barker was appointed as the new Headmaster at the Portobello Commercial Institute.

Mr and Mrs Cameron of 7 Joppa Gardens celebrated their silver wedding.

Dr. George Cartwright of Baileyfield left £34,031 in his will.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 06 Mar 2012, 08:17

August 7, 1942 - British General Bernard Montgomery takes command of Eighth Army in North Africa.

Portobello celebrated its Bicentenary. In 1742 the original thatched cottage named Portobello was built on the Figgate Whins by a sailor who had served with Admiral Vernon.
In 1763 William Jamieson feued the land for £3 an acre and started up his brick making business, building a settlement for his workers, which was named after the cottage.

Lieutenant James Smith of 5 James Street was awarded the George Medal in recognition of his work as a bomb disposal officer in Egypt.

Lieutenant Neil Thom of Durham Road was reported as a Prisoner of War
Robert Benzie of Portobello was awarded a First Class Honours BSc in Chemistry from the University of London.

James Carswell, the chemist, of 23 Pitt Street died at the age of 80.

The fire extinguishers, light bulbs, maple flooring and urinals from The Marine Gardens were up for sale.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 07 Mar 2012, 08:19

On September 13, 1942 the Battle of Stalingrad began.

Radio Officer Rennie Millar (19) of Portobello was killed at sea by enemy action on his first voyage.

All people in Portobello between the ages of 18 and 60 were now required to register for Civil Defence duties.

People in Portobello raised over £5,000 for the Tanks For Attack campaign.

Eileen Campbell was appointed as Art Assistant at Portobello Junior Secondary school.

12 Lee Crescent was up for sale at £875. The whole tenement of 10 flats at 12 Bath Street was on the market for £2,000 the lot.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 08 Mar 2012, 08:24

On October 18, 1942 Hitler ordered the execution of all captured British commandos.

There were complaints from the National Fire Service that people were using the water tanks as dustbins and that everything from old prams to a fur coat had been found in them.

It was announced that in the event of Victory, this would be announced in Portobello by the continuous pealing of the bell of St. John’s church in Brighton Place.

Everyone who had not been previously vaccinated against smallpox were instructed to report to Portobello Town Hall

The Portobello Girl’s Club was looking for a leader 3 nights a week.

Mr. Grant of Portobello was elected President of the Leith Licensed Grocers’ Association.

Bessie Shepherd, who ran the china shop at 90 Portobello High Street died, as Robert Mayor, the tailor from 89 Joppa Road.

George Jack of Portobello sold his Large White pig for 9 guineas.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 09 Mar 2012, 08:19

On December 16, 1942 the Soviets defeated Italian troops on the River Don in the USSR.

Wing Commander James Rankin DSO and Bar, DFC and Bar, Croix De Guerre was presented to the King and Queen.

28 year old miner Michael Bell was killed while cycling home from Newcraighall. He was in collision with a motor lorry and sustained multiple head injuries.

Robert Collett, the Headmaster of Towerbank School died.

A Sea Cadets corps was formed in Portobello, which met at the High School every Tuesday between 7:30 and 9:30.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 10 Mar 2012, 08:29

On January 23, 1943 Montgomery’s Eighth Army took Tripoli

At a Dig For Victory meeting in Portobello Town Hall George Porterhouse, the secretary of the gardens and allotments committee announced that allotments had increased fourfold since the outbreak of the war. In addition many private gardens were now producing vegetables for the first time.

Dr A. C. MacGregor, the President of the Edinburgh Geological Society at a meeting in Synod Hall, reminded the Government of the importance of the brick clays in the raised beach at Portobello and hoped that this would not be overlooked in post-war planning.

At a meeting of the General Purposes Committee of Edinburgh Town Council it was revealed that Portobello open air pool could not be re-opened for swimming because the chlorine pumping machinery had been taken away.

The sale of savings stamps in Portobello had exceeded £4,000 in December.

Portobello Co-op were looking for a new grocery manager and a coal carter who knew how to handle a horse.

Meanwhile Mr. Purves of 18 Tower Street was selling his Black Gyp horse.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 11 Mar 2012, 13:50

On February 2, 1943 the Germans surrendered at Stalingrad in the first big defeat of Hitler's armies.

The Portobello Home Guard store was broken into and a quantity of explosive stolen. A steel padlock securing the door was sawn through and seven grenades, 12 high explosive detonators, three stick bombs, two anti-tank bombs and 20 ballistic cartridges were taken. The police would be glad for any information which may lead to their recovery.

Walter Dickson of 5 Elcho Terrace set up a new company to produce cellular concrete and issued 100 £1 shares.

A new drapery and fancy goods shop opened at 4 Bath Street.

A Civil Servant was urgently looking for a small furnished flat in Joppa.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 12 Mar 2012, 08:17

On March 16 the Battle of the Atlantic climaxed with 27 merchant ships sunk by German U-boats.

The Central Cinema was advertising for a Manager and an Operator. The Abercorn Terrace Nursing Home was advertising for a housekeeper and assistant nurses.

A meeting was convened by the East Edinburgh Unionist Association in the Bath Street Hall to discuss the Beveridge Report into welfare proposals.

Dr. Robert Adam of 17 West Brighton Crescent was appointed Medical Officer to the Colonial Medical Service in Kenya.

Numbers 2, 4, 8 and 10 Bath Street, 38 properties in all, were up for sale as one lot at a starting price of £3,100. There was a garage to let in Rosefield Place for £4 per annum.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 13 Mar 2012, 08:21

On April 19, 1943 the Waffen SS attacked jewish resistance in the Warsaw ghetto.

Mr Pethick Lawrence, MP for Portobello, speaking at a meeting in Bath Street Hall, expressed the view that while the coalition war government had been of great service in preserving national unity and in promoting valuable reforms, how far it could continue to do so into the peace could not be decided and speculation on the subject was not merely premature but provocative of dangerous controversy.

A man digging in a garden in Portobello unearthed what appeared to be an ancient coin. When it was cleaned up it was discovered to be a halfpenny dating from 1799.

7 Sandford Gardens was offering a pram for sale in good condition.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 14 Mar 2012, 08:21

On May 16 the British began air raids on the Ruhr.

Sergeant J. Parrott of Portobello was killed while on active service.

Over £25,000 was collected in one week in Portobello for the Wings For Victory Fund.

The George cinema and the Victory cinema, both in Bath Street were both taken to court for carrying out repairs which had not been approved by the Ministry of Works.

Portobello Ambulance Corps came third in the annual St. Andrews Ambulance Corps competition.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 15 Mar 2012, 08:24

On June 11, 1943 Himmler ordered the liquidation of all Jewish ghettos in Poland.

Corporal Stephen Hunter of 18 Wellington Street was killed in action in Tunisia.

Revd, D. Easton resigned as minister at Windsor Place church in order to become a military chaplain. His congregation decided by 80 votes to 73 to petition the Presbytery to refuse him permission to leave, but the Presbytery accepted the resignation. Revd. Easton expressed regret that he was leaving behind him a doubting, reluctant and divided congregation.

Revd Robert Davidson died at the Portobello Old Parish Church manse.

Alistair Cowe, aged five, was blown off Portobello Promenade and in to the sea by a gust of wind. He was rescued by Stoker John Payne of the RNVR.

Mrs McAdoo of 8 Brighton Place lost a narrow gold bar brooch with a jewelled thistle on the centre.

J. Houston of 8 East Brighton Crescent had three adult rabbits for sale, a Siamese Sable, a Blue Beveran and an Angora.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 16 Mar 2012, 08:21

On July 25 Mussolini was arrested and the Italian Fascist government fell.

John Bain was killed in an accident at the Portobello railway yard.

Major Cruickshank, who had twelve times rowed for Portobello Rowing Club in the Scottish Championships gave a talk to the Rotary Club on present conditions in China.

The Revd Herbert Hall of St. Marks, Portobello was elected Bishop of Aberdeen
A new Scottish record for the 220 yard freestyle was set in Portobello Baths when the race was won in 2 minutes, 26 seconds.

Portobello Bowls Club beat Leith 82 / 54 in the Sanquhar tournament.

17 Bath Street was sold for £1,710.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 17 Mar 2012, 08:17

On August 12 the Germans evacuated Sicily.

Flying Officer F. Thomson of Portobello was awarded the DFC.

Wing commander James Rankin DSO, DFC Croix De Guerre was promoted to Group Captain.

Revd T. Henderson was elected Rector of St Mark’s church to replace Bishop Hall.

The Council expressed concern at a large increase in the amount of lost property being recovered from Portobello beach. In the previous week there had been articles of clothing, purses, ration books, identity cards, articles of clothing and 103 children, all of which had been taken to the police station for collection.

Everyone was required to take their gas masks to the Warden station at 224 Portobello High Street for inspection.

Mrs. Trotter of 12 Stanley Street was looking for a roomy pram in good condition.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 18 Mar 2012, 08:27

On September 12, 1943 the Germans rescued Mussolini

Portobello High School got through to the last round of the Red Cross Poster competition. Though they were not the winners their entry was commended for great freshness of outlook.

The school was advertising for a new Head Teacher. The salary was £600 per annum plus a £20 war supplement.

David McInnes of Portobello died in Leith hospital after being knocked down by a bus in Northfield Broadway.

If you needed a level and tripod, Buchan’s Pottery had one going spare.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 19 Mar 2012, 08:20

On October 13, 1943 Italy declared war on Germany

George Glennie of 25 Park Avenue was declared missing presumed drowned on active service.

Portobello WVS made the sandwiches for a welcoming party at Leith docks for 3,694 returning servicemen.

It was estimated that over the summer at least 20,000 people had attended the open air dances on Portobello Promenade.

A contingent of school boys from Portobello High School left to work in the potato fields of Ross-shire.

37 Durham Terrace were selling their Remington portable typewriter.
Frank Smith, the Superintendent of Portobello Power Station died.

Alexander Russell obtained a licence to run a public house at 119 Portobello High Street.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 20 Mar 2012, 08:19

On November 6, 1943 the Russians recaptured Kiev.

Sergeant Walter Lees of 23 Bath Street was killed during air operations.

Trooper John Rodgers of 6 Bridge Street returned home after having been blinded whilst on active service in Germany. Trooper Rogers of 12 Mount Lodge Place was also repatriated.

Mr. J Campbell Ross, the past president of the United Kingdom Commercial Travellers Association, who lived in John Street Portobello, died

Miss Agnes Thorburn who ran the fruit and confectionery business at 152 Portobello High Street died.

The residents of 13 Durham Road had a goblin vacuum cleaner and an electric kettle for sale.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 21 Mar 2012, 08:19

On December 24 the Soviets launched offensives on the Ukrainian front.

The Portobello unit of the Sea Cadet Corps entertained the Musselburgh Air Training Corps to a film show and sing song.

William Allan of 31 Ramsey Lane was sentenced to three months in prison and John Gordon of 60 Promenade to one month for stealing chocolate from an Edinburgh factory. When arrested Allan had 8 lbs of chocolate strapped to his legs under his trousers and Gordon had 6 lbs.

Alan Bell of Portobello was appointed stationmaster at Corstorphine, with responsibility for Turnhouse.

James Wilson, the dentist of 23 Abercorn Terrace died.

David Livingston of Portobello also died. He was well known as a pioneer of cycling and was famous for having cycled from Edinburgh to Berwick and back in one day, on a penny farthing.

The Co-op was looking for a counter hand in the fleshing department.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 22 Mar 2012, 08:18

On January 27, 1944 Leningrad was relieved after a 900-day siege.

There were concerns at the continuing erosion of Portobello beach. The normal level of the beach at the sea wall was now six feet below what it was in the memory of even middle aged people. That level was not permanent and was affected by storms. Various proposals were put forward including the construction of a new sea wall.

147 less couples had married Portobello in 1943 than in the previous year.

A new garage, the Midlothian Garage Company, opened in Bath Street. At 23 Bath Street a new business for needlework and hand knitted garments opened up.

The Windsor Place nursing home was under new management.

The Co-op was looking for a temporary male assistant for the Gent’s Department.

262 Portobello High Street had an angus oak 4ft roll top desk for sale in first class condition. Yours for just £25.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 23 Mar 2012, 08:18

On February 15 1944 the Allies bombed the monastery at Monte Cassino.

Revd Harold Reid of 19 Abercorn Terrace was mentioned in dispatches for gallant and distinguished services. Revd Reid was chaplain to the scottish troops in Malta and had been wounded at El Alamein.

For civil defence reasons the General Purposes Committee decided to keep Portobello Open Air Pool closed.

The past president of Portobello Burns Club, Baillie John Hay died suddenly, having represented Portobello on the Town Council for 23 years.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 24 Mar 2012, 11:01

On March 18, 1944 the British dropped 3000 tons of bombs on Hamburg

Flying Officer William McLaren of 16 Portobello Promenade was killed on active service.

Second Lieutenant James McMaster died of wounds received in action.

William Blackwood of Portobello was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment for absenting himself without reasonable excuse from Home Guard parades on four occasions. He was also fined a total of £17.

A strong north easterly wind combined with a high tide caused some damage to the Promenade, portions of which were broken away at two points. The waves were washing right up against the garden walls along the front and in the morning after the whole Promenade was littered from end to end with seaweed, pieces of wood, stones and hundreds of pieces of orange peel.

At the Seafield end of the Promenade a Little Auk was spotted, having been washed ashore with oil on its wings. It managed to return to the sea, but it was doubted that it would survive.

William Duncan of the 4th Portobello Scout Troop was awarded the Scout Gilt Cross for rescuing a five year old boy from drowning.

Revd Arthur Robson was appointed minister of Windsor Place church.

Mr. Roy MacKay was appointed station master at Portobello station.

Mark Wintrup, the senior swimming instructor at Portobello Baths died at 48 years of age.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 25 Mar 2012, 07:19

On May 12, 1944 the Germans surrendered in the Crimea.

Captain Alexander Gilbert of 3 Durham Drive died on active service in Kenya

14 Stanley Street was up for sale for £1,000

Portobello Former Pupils cricket team beat Trinity Academicals by seven wickets and 48 runs.

Mr and Mrs Hopkirk of Sandford Gardens celebrated their silver wedding.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 26 Mar 2012, 07:19

June 6, 1944 saw the D-Day landings

Flight Officer Archibald Warnock of Portobello was awarded the DFC.

Revd. Easton was repatriated to Portobello following service as chaplain to a field regiment involved in active service. He had sustained injuries to his leg, after falling off a bicycle.

Sir Henry Steele, who for many years had represented Portobello ward on Edinburgh Town Council and became Lord Provost, was awarded a Dcotorate of Law by Edinburgh University.

A special meeting of Portobello Co-operative Society Ltd. was held in the Loftus Hall in Wellington Street to discuss amalgamation proposals.

A Punch and Judy show and an Accordionist obtained licences for a pitch at the foot of Bath Street every Saturday afternoon.

The resident of 3 Park Avenue was selling a full set of golf clubs in good condition, with bag, for £6 10s. 23 Argyle Crescent were selling their cutlery, crockery and china and enamel ware, only slightly used.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 27 Mar 2012, 07:19

On July 24, 1944 Soviet troops liberated the first concentration camp at Majdanek.

LNER opened a canteen at the Portobello sidings to cater for the 500 staff who were employed there. The canteen could accommodate 36 people at each sitting and also supplied special packed meals for the train crews.

Professor James Ritchie was awarded the Keith Prize for research into mussel growth in the intake pipe of Portobello Power Station.

Krystina Pitak of 30 Portobello High Street lost her passport in Waverley station.

Daily dancing on the Promenade began, with performances by the Pioneer Corps Dance Band at 2:30 and 7:30. There was also an exhibition of Highland dancing to music by the Newtongrange Pipe Band.

Revd. Whyte of Portobello Baptist church left to take up a new post in Croydon.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 28 Mar 2012, 07:19

On August 4, 1944 Anne Frank and her family were arrested by the Gestapo in Amsterdam.

Flight Sergeant Robert Irving of Portobello was awarded the DFM.

Mrs. Menzies of Portobello raised £669 13s 11d for the penny a week fund.

Dr. Margaret Cameron, who with her sister Dr. Catherine Cameron had run a medical practice in Portobello for over forty years, died aged 75.

Mr. Demarco at 1 Portobello Promenade was selling his piano for £90. 22 Adelphi Place had three Kerry Blue puppies for sale.

A water gala was held in Portobello Baths. Peter Heatly gave a display of diving. Nancy Riach and Ian Macdonald attempted to break the scottish record for the 440 yards and Motherwell YMI, the scottish champions, played a water polo match.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 29 Mar 2012, 07:18

On September 26, 1944 Soviet troops occupied Estonia.

A concert in Portobello Town Hall raised £111 14s for the Red Cross fund.

Dr John Balfour, who had been president of the Portobello Amateur Rowing Club, Captain of Portobello Golf Club, a member of Portobello Bowling Club and played for Portobello Rugby Club died.

Mr Robert Darling of 5 St Mary’s Place died suddenly. Mr. Darling had been secretary of Edinburgh YMCA for thirty years.

It was proposed that 60 temporary houses could be built in Portobello Park to cater for families displaced by war damage.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 30 Mar 2012, 07:18

October 30, 1944 saw the last use of gas chambers at Auschwitz.

Sergeant Victor De Muynck of 43 Melville Street was reported missing in action on the Rhine.

Mr. James Hossack, the headmaster of Portobello High School gave a talk to the Workers Educational Association on Post-war development in Scotland with particular reference to agriculture, lighter industries and hydro-electric power.

Mrs Steele of 23 Abercorn Terrace urgently needed a nanny to look after her two children who were aged 2 years and 2 months respectively.

6 Pitt Street had a 5 month old gold and black cocker spaniel for sale.

The Portobello Toddler’s Playground was looking for a superintendent at a salary of £55 per annum.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 31 Mar 2012, 07:20

On November 20, 1944 French troops drove through the 'Beffort Gap' to reach the Rhine.

Private Andrew Weir of Portobello was involved in the Battle of the White House in Arnhem and wrote home that :” A lot of mortar fire was coming over and it was keeping our heads down. The next thing we found was Jerry getting on top of us. We organised ourselves and counter attacked and killed a lot of them. The rest of them ran into the woods near by. They did not wait for it but got off their mark. We charged with the bayonet and they scattered and fled."

Lieutenant Andrew Forrest of 49 Windsor Place was killed whilst on active service.

Mrs Gunne of 235 Portobello High Street had a large zinc bath for sale.

The Editor of the Musselburgh and Portobello News, William Warwick was hit by a bus and fatally injured. He was 69.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 01 Apr 2012, 07:28

On January 26, 1945 Soviet troops liberated Auschwitz.

A 100 mile an hour gale struck Portobello. Huge gaps were torn in the sea wall and altogether about 100 yards of the promenade collapsed. Waves beat against the front of the villas along the front and in many cases washed right over the roofs, carrying seaweed, driftwood and stones over into the back gardens. A number of heavy stone garden walls were demolished and the debris scattered around, while paths were torn up and even the tarmacadamed surfaces of roads were damaged. The waves not only washed over the Promenade but reached a distance of about 40 yards up some of the side streets and the spray was carried as far as the High Street. The gale continued with great fury for about three hours and householders described it as the worst for many years, It was certainly the most destructive experienced for a long time.

Firemen had to pump out Portobello Baths which had been flooded with sea water during the storm.

Mr. Pethick Lawrence MP addressed his constituents at a meeting In St. John’s School. He urged them to consider how they would vote in the General Election which would have to take place once hostilities ceased. Society which in the past had been rent by class divisions must be based in the post war era upon the broadest foundations of communal well being if it was to survive. If all the bad old system was to be replaced in the future by a new conception of human brotherhood to be worked out in detail in the affairs of nations and societies, it must be done by new men who had never accepted the past regime.

Reginald Hawtin, a 58 year old switchboard supervisor was electrocuted in the transmission house at Portobello Power Station. The power of the shock threw him down the stairs. Artificial respiration was applied without success.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 02 Apr 2012, 07:24

On February 4 Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin met at Yalta

Sergeant Leslie Arcus of Portobello and Private William England of 10 Mentone Avenue were killed whilst on active service.

Fire ripped through the tenements between 107 and 115 Portobello High Street. The top storeys and attics were completely destroyed and the second storeys partly destroyed. The houses and shops on the lower floors were also badly damaged. 25 families lost their homes.5 fire engines, 2 salvage tenders and a wireless car were rushed to the scene and the fire was attacked from every possible direction. Traffic on the High Street was interrupted. For several hours the firemen had to battle against the flames which were constantly breaking out here and there. Mrs. G Ramsay, Mrs. Scott and Mr. Peter Croft all had to be carried from the burning tenement by firemen and neighbours and one of them, Mrs. Ramsay, was later removed to the Eastern General Hospital. 4 of the firemen also had to receive hospital treatment for burns.

A special fund was set up to help the families who had been made homeless by the fire, to be administered by the Portobello Destitute and Sick Society.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 03 Apr 2012, 07:22

On March 6, 1945 the last German offensive of the war began, to defend oil fields in Hungary

There was a special meeting of the Streets and Buildings Committee of Edinburgh Town Council to consider as a matter of urgency the erection os a new sea wall at Portobello from the foot of James Street along to Eastfield. It was noted that some years ago the level of the sand was 18 inches below the promenade, but now it was 18 feet. It was agreed to remit the matter to the Burgh Engineer.

Two women welders were chosen by their fellow employees of the SMT at Marine Gardens to launch two landing craft .
Lieutenant Colonel William Sinclair , lecturer in Philosophy at Edinburgh University was elected as the Unionist candidate for Portobello at the next General Election by the members of the East Edinburgh Unionist Association.

James Grant received a licence to sell intoxicating liquor in his grocery shop at 168 Portobello High Street.

The Co-op was looking for a boot and shoe repairer.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 04 Apr 2012, 07:23

May 7, 1945 saw unconditional surrender of all German forces to Allies

It was a wet day, but nevertheless thousands of people paraded the streets and additional police had to be called to regulate the crowd which had gathered outside Register House. Wellington’s tatue was climbed by several soldiers and sailors. For a time a soldier stood perilously balanced on the mane of the horse and from this height tried to catch caps which were thrown to him. Thousands of young people had gathered there and a Marine who had appointed himself as conductor, led community singing. In american fashion, torn up paper fluttered from the windows down to the street.

Lieutenant A. Bisset, who had been a prisoner of war, but released by advancing allied troops in Germany, returned home to Portobello. Lieutenant Bisset was taken prisoner at St. Valery in 1940. In three escape bids he got clear of the camp only to be recaptured, the third time after he had fallen into a chalk pit and sprained his ankle after being free for four days.

A report on proposals for Edinburgh after the war proposed that the shore and front at Portobello should be redeveloped to encourage the tourist industry.

John Gray was appointed deputy manager at the Portobello branch of the National Bank of Scotland.

Edinburgh Corporation were advertising for a french teacher and a teacher of nautical subjects for Portobello High School.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 05 Apr 2012, 07:21

On June 5, 1945 the Allies divided up Germany and Berlin

Major Alan Miller of 46 Durham Square died suddenly.

Speaking in the Portobello Masonic Halls Mr. Pethick Lawrence MP said that he had become convinced that a good many of the affairs of Scotland would be much better attended to here than in London. He would willingly support any well-considered scheme which would enable affairs concerning Scotland to be settled here at less expense and with far less delay than was involved in submitting them all to London.

Frank Yeaman, the Scottish National Party candidate addressed electors in the Loftus Hall, Wellington Street.

Lietenant Colonel W. Sinclair, the Unionist candidate addressed elctors at Portobello High School.

Findlays the chemist was selling a wonder cure solvent for corns, warts, bunions and hard skin. One bottle does it for only 1/5d

A fete at Portobello United Free Church raised £51 for the Salvation Army fund.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 06 Apr 2012, 07:36

On July 1, 1945 American, British, and French troops moved into Berlin.

At the General Election it was noted that a woman in Portobello who had been bed-ridden for four years left her bed to go and record her vote. The election was a Labour landslide victory.

More Glasgow holidaymakers arrived in Portobello than Portobello could accommodate. According to the police lorries laden with advance luggage were coming into the town all night. The beach and Promenade were packed. Fun City and other amusements drew their crowds of patrons and hawkers of paper windmills did a roaring trade . There were some of those men in new suits, whose numbers were increasing as the months went by, sunburnt fit looking men not yet quite accustomed to civvy street but liking it.
Mrs Meenan of 52 Bath Street had a furnished room for let.
rathbone

Postby rathbone » 07 Apr 2012, 07:25

On August 6, 1945 the first atomic bomb dropped, on Hiroshima, Japan.

Corporal M. Shepherd of Portobello was awarded the oak leaf emblem and mentioned in dispatches for her war work. Before the war she had been East of Scotland swimming champion.

T. Thomson, a postman in the Portobello Sub-office was awarded the Imperial Service Medal for services during the war.

The trial began of Robert `Robertson and Timothy Donoghue on charges of robbing Demarco’s ice-cream shop at 78 Portobello High Street and murdering the proprietor, Giuseppe Demarco. Mrs Demarco had been assaulted. In her evidence Mrs. Demarco said that the two accused had come into the shop about 9:30 in the evening. They said that they intended to rob the shop. Mr. Demarco immediately called the police, who ejected the men from the shop. About an hour later they came back. When Mr. Demarco tried to get them to leave, Robertson grabbed a lemonade bottle and hit him over the head. While he was unconscious on the floor Mr. Demarco was repeatedly kicked by Robertson. Mrs. Demarco was then also struck with a lemonade bottle. The two men then grabbed £9 10s 6d from the back of the counter. People who were passing by came in to the shop. One, a soldier, knocked Donoghue out. Robertson was apprehended by the police as he attempted to get away. Robertson was found guilty, but Donoghue was found not guilty of culpable homicide and the charge of theft against him was not proven. Lord Justice Clerk stated that he was able to discover in the case certain elements which justified him in not imposing the very severest sentence. He sentenced Robertson to seven years imprisonment.

On 2 September 1945 the Japanese signed the surrender agreement and the war was over.
rathbone

PreviousNext

Return to Local History