Shop Signs - Old Town Hall / Portobello Bar

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Shop Signs - Old Town Hall / Portobello Bar

Postby eastofedina » 17 Aug 2012, 17:03

I noticed that the shop(s) to the left were being renovated.
When the existing sign was removed, it revealed the signage of the shoe shop that usd to occupy the shops - was it JA Marshalls ( Bootmaker)? Does anyone have a photo of this? I was informed that this was where my uncle got his first pair of shoes in the 50's.
I wasn't quick enough to take a picture, but the Marshalls sign has since been removed, revealling original signage painted directly onto the stone.
The shop on the left appears to have the sign "Music Saloon", whilst the shop on the right reveals "J Clarke" - possible fish shop link?? The J Clarke sign is painted over an even earlier sign - very ornate in black and gold. The first word is "Adolph" the second word is quite hard to make out, possible BAL *** E?

Does anyone have any further info on the history of these shops?
eastofedina

Re: Shop Signs - Old Town Hall / Portobello Bar

Postby wangi » 17 Aug 2012, 17:15

The Marshalls sign was captured by Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/v0x1w
wangi
[admin]

Postby eastofedina » 17 Aug 2012, 18:06

Thank you - screenshot grabbed.
eastofedina

Postby moira » 30 Aug 2012, 20:34

Portobello Baptist Church is refurbishing the shop front. We think the old sign was "Adolf Bar". The Marshall sign has been taken off. It was only partially there but we have the section of the sign which remained in safe keeping. We recognize the historic importance of our building which of course was the old Town Hall. In October when the shop front refurbishment is completed we will have an open day so that people from the community can have a look round the interior of the building. We have already opened the cafe on several Saturdays providing soup, sandwiches and cake. Donations were put towards good causes like providing clean water in Haiti. The cafe will be open again during the Open Day.
moira

Return to Local History