[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Berry Square, Portobello

Berry Square, Portobello

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Berry Square, Portobello

Postby wangi » 22 Nov 2012, 22:54

Have come across some interesting old photos of Berry Square, which was on Aitchison's Place between Beach Lane and Tower [Figgate] Street, on . I've placed them on on old 1896 25" OS map below for reference:

Click on them for larger sizes...

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Some other interesting Portobello shots at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sixtiesedi ... 0450214484 - will probably map the Baileyfield ones too.

L/
wangi
[admin]

Re: Berry Square, Portobello

Postby SoupDragon » 23 Nov 2012, 10:59

I have a vague memory of those cottages.
I'm sure at the end of the lane- between the end of the row and where the entrance to the masonic Lodge is- was where the donkeys from the beach were stabled.

For me this one is a gem, it's where we lived when I was born and I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the building before before.

by , on Flickr

It's where Kwik Fit is now. I remember getting a telling off for making my fingers all dirty poking them in the holes where the railings should have been.

Our kitchen window was at the front, I'd sit on the bunker when mum did the washing up, I didn't really appreciate the view towards the Outdoor Pool or Power Station but was fascinated by the cream top of the maroon buses.
Last edited by wangi on 23 Nov 2012, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embed photo
SoupDragon

Postby wangi » 23 Nov 2012, 11:22

Judging by of that block of tenements with the bracing in front - I imagine they were demolished as not structurally safe?
wangi
[admin]

Postby Epykat » 23 Nov 2012, 12:02

You're right about the stables Soupy. We used to pass them every day on the way to school - they stunk! :lol:
Epykat

Postby SoupDragon » 23 Nov 2012, 13:22

Yeah Epy , they did smell a bit, I used to feel sorry for the poor donkeys in there where it was all dark.
Can you mind the donkey that lived at Mount Charles? Where Scotmid is now.

I saw the braced bit in the photos, I wonder if that's why we moved?
Mind you as I piece together memories I think it was only a room and kitchen we had, no bathroom just a toilet. I think. Maybe we had a boxroom. Coal fire. I can still feel the texture and pattern on the settee though, sitting in a fort of the cushions.
I'm not sure when we flitted, early 1960s I think, my sister was born in the new place in 1963.
Was it the winter of 62/63 had heavy snowfall? I remember looking out over white covered houses and also being told Santa would land on the balcony, not to worry as there was no chimney dad would let him in the door.
SoupDragon

Postby Templar75 » 13 Oct 2014, 11:44

They were known as the Mitchells Buildings, I think they were demolished around 1964-5, I remember walking down Fishwives Causeway after work and seeing an Ambulance there, I was told that a young Scaffolder I think had fallen off and was pierced right through by a metal rod, I was later told that the young man had died.
Templar75

Return to Local History