Kenneth Milligan was born in Winnipeg, Canada in 1915. His parents had decided to emigrate after they married in April 1913. It was the first wedding to be conducted at the newly built St James Church in Rosefield Place. Ken's father, a carpenter, found work with the Western Railway Company. They came back to Portobello on return tickets when Ken's younger brother died. They never returned, moving in instead with Ken's maternal grandfather at 2 Hope Street. Prior to its merger with Edinburgh, he had been the Superintendent of Parks in Portobello. They moved into no. 7 in 1926 and were the first household in the street to have an electricity supply in that year. Ken moved to no. 14 in 1948 and was married to Helen in the following year. During the war he served in the medical corps and worked thereafter as an administrator in the Health Service until his retirement.
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest