[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Severe Weather Warning

Severe Weather Warning

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"

Severe Weather Warning

Postby Poppy » 30 Mar 2010, 17:05

Edinburgh & the Lothians are bright red on the Met Office Weather Warning Map

[url]
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... html?day=1[/url]

The sea is huge this afternnon - high tide has past but the waves are still rolling right up to the wall and over it in some places. Near the baths a wave has crossed the Prom via a wee flight of steps judging by the seaweed and sand against the coping of the tenement. It's a bit breezy for a stroll today!!!
Poppy

Postby Maria » 30 Mar 2010, 17:45

Oooo! Haven't seen that before. I'm away to find some torches and candles, just in case......
Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 30 Mar 2010, 20:02

Anyone get any photos? I went down to try to get some video but I had missed the best/worst of it.

Someone put this up a few weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RIVBqLtVoY

It would be even more impressive if they had just held the camera steady instead of waving it around. And left the girl in the foreground as, erm, a reference point.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 30 Mar 2010, 20:15

I thought about it but I doubt I could have kept the camera steady (or myself upright) enough in the wind - and the bad light and the driving rain and spray presented a problem too! I tried to open a window to take pictures [couldn't see through the glass!], but the force of the wind made it all a bit dodgy.

The next high tide in daylight is tomorrow about 16.15 (if that's 15.15 GMT :wink: ?) which is predicted to be 6 m which is high, but the wind may have died down by then. It might be interesting to see how much sand is left tomorrow though?
Poppy

Postby Epykat » 30 Mar 2010, 20:20

Ooooo, our lights are flickering!
Epykat

Postby Poppy » 30 Mar 2010, 20:27

Same here. I think Marya's candle and torch idea might be worth considering!
Poppy

Postby Maria » 30 Mar 2010, 20:37

Our lights flickered too! I've insisted that we fetch our two camping lanterns and as many torches as we can find - comes of being a teuchter and being accustomed to frequent powercuts. Homer thinks I've completely flipped. :lol:
Maria

Postby Poppy » 30 Mar 2010, 20:40

Plenty wine too, Marya, I trust!!
Poppy

Postby wangi » 30 Mar 2010, 20:46

It's going to be interesting around 4am...
wangi
[admin]

Postby Poppy » 30 Mar 2010, 20:46

Got any sandbags, wangi????
Poppy

Postby wangi » 30 Mar 2010, 23:14

Nope. I've been mopping all night - we've got a bad seal at the bottom of our front door... Water runs down the door and into the house. Of course didn't help that some tube left the letter box open today with an unwanted flyer. :twisted:
wangi
[admin]

Postby Bob Jefferson » 31 Mar 2010, 06:05

Bob Jefferson

Postby wangi » 31 Mar 2010, 09:38

wangi
[admin]

Postby Poppy » 31 Mar 2010, 19:45

Poppy

Postby StarVanMan » 01 Apr 2010, 00:41

StarVanMan

Postby Epykat » 01 Apr 2010, 09:01

Epykat

Postby Poppy » 01 Apr 2010, 10:21

Poppy

Postby SoupDragon » 01 Apr 2010, 15:21

I have a recollection of seeing an old photo of damage to The Prom during high spring tides, I'm sure I saw it online somewhere but cant remember where
I also have a vague recollection of reports of damaging spring tides in the late 1950s, ? 1958

The council workmen have been down clearingt he debris on the beach today, the tractor was also out before the high winds started pulling the sand from the wall
I hear the railings along at the fun fair were damaged and other bits of the Prom have collapsed
SoupDragon

Postby Scorpion » 01 Apr 2010, 20:01

I seem to remember putting the clocks forward for British Summer Time a few days ago :shock:

Andy Knight

Fear knocks at the door, knowledge answers and finds nothing.
Scorpion

Postby Bob Jefferson » 01 Apr 2010, 20:42

A little bit of footage I got the other day. Not quite as dramatic as I would have liked. Hoping we might get one more big high tide storm and I'll be ready this time.

Bob Jefferson

Postby SoupDragon » 02 Apr 2010, 11:05

From our kitchen window, I wasn't keen to go out in it.

Yeah, Scorpion, Summertime
:roll:
SoupDragon

Postby Bob Jefferson » 02 Apr 2010, 15:15

From today's EN:

Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 02 Apr 2010, 16:57

The beach is littered with all manner of dead shellfish, crabs, starfish, sea cucumbers etc. and local kids are assembling some interesting, if gruesome, collections.

Some of the damage along at Seafield.

Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 03 Apr 2010, 21:21

I was sent this - don't know who took it.

Bob Jefferson

Postby Sandra » 04 Apr 2010, 20:42

Sandra

Postby wangi » 04 Apr 2010, 21:11

wangi
[admin]

Postby Bob Jefferson » 05 Apr 2010, 02:37

Bob Jefferson

Postby wangi » 05 Apr 2010, 14:56

Part of the wall at the back of Rock Cottage is bust in too...

wangi
[admin]

Postby Bob Jefferson » 24 May 2010, 19:33

Video footage of the storm damage to the Rockville Hotel here:

http://www.awag04.dsl.pipex.com/video.html

Strange to think this was just a few weeks ago.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 24 May 2010, 21:05

I love the line "I think a fish just came over into the car park" :lol: :lol:
As they do..........
Epykat

Postby Maria » 20 Sep 2010, 20:19

From today's EN;

Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Sep 2010, 20:45

Bob Jefferson

Re:

Postby wangi » 09 Oct 2010, 15:44

wangi
[admin]

Re: Severe Weather Warning

Postby Maria » 18 Jan 2011, 15:50

Is there really enough sand to move from one end of the beach to the other? I thought the plan was to bring in more sand to replace the sand lost, but it appears that isn't the case.
Maria

Re: Severe Weather Warning

Postby wangi » 03 Jan 2012, 18:24

Fun Park wall down:

wangi
[admin]

Next

Return to G&TT