[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Fatal accident King's Road Roundabout

Fatal accident King's Road Roundabout

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"

Fatal accident King's Road Roundabout

Postby Ian Maxwell » 01 Jun 2003, 20:22

The flowers on the barrier at the edge of the King's Road Roundabout mark the spot where Maureen McElroy, a local cyclist, was killed on her way to work on Monday 26th May.

I cycle through this junction almost every week day.

I have sent three immediate suggestions for improving the safety of this roundabout to Maureen Child and Lawrence Marshall. and Cllr Andrew Burns, the Executive Member for Transport.

My suggestions are:

Immediate cut back of vegetation on the roundabout centre, which reduces visibility, followed by a levelling of the central mound. If you are in danger of being hit by a truck it makes sense to maximise your line of vision.

Speed camera on Seafield Road. I have already reported a "sighting" of a speed camera to the "freedom lobby" web sites that informs drivers of locations - I suggest you do the same with other camera "sightings" at
while also calling for a real one.

Signing for the Fishwives Causeway alternative to the roundabout to be erected on the Portobello High Street. Not every cyclist will want to use this route, especially in the other direction, but nobody will find it if it is not marked.

None of these things will bring Mo back, but they might help to prevent another accident. Traffic lights should make it safer, and there are many other things that could be done.

Andrew Burns replied to my email as follows:
"I am very, very sorry to hear of this tragic accident.
I will pursue the immediate measures you suggest as a matter of
urgency and I will take a little time to carefully read and respond to the
other e-mails and suggestions that have come through. I thought I should
respond to you immediately and I will ensure you are kept informed of any developments."

More comments and suggestions to him and to Maureen and Lawrence will help to keep up the pressure.

If you want more details - ring me on 669 6542.

Ian Maxwell
Ian Maxwell

Re: Fatal accident King's Road Roundabout

Postby Gemini » 02 Jun 2003, 23:30

I think that all of the residents in Portobello where shocked at the untimely death of this young woman in such tragic circumstances. Our hearts and thoughts go out to the family that is left behind.

Mr. Maxwell is correct in stating that this roundabout is a nightmare!!
The vegetation is 'too high' both on the roundabout and at the approaches to the roundabout from Harry Lauder Road, moreover there are no security barriers along the paths of the Sir Harry Lauder Road, this road is used by children accessing St. John's,Duddingston and Portobello High School (what happened to 'safe routes to school'?)

There is no signage for cyclists and vehicles alike on the fishwives causeway - Lawrence Marshall is aware of this problem!! and has been for many years.

Our Houses Front the Harry Lauder Road, I am assuming the speed limit is 40mph - there is one pedestrian crossing (on a slight bend) trust me when I say the speed of vehicles using this road are clocking 60 - 80 and at quieter times probably 100MPH!!

The Residents have in the past approached the Local Representative
complaining about the volume (14 million per year and rising) speed & noise of vehicles, along with the overgrown vegetation at the roudabout and the inapproriate sighting of the Pedestrian Crossing - but apparently Scottish Power financed this crossing for their Staff (which is true) but Laidlaws did not want it sited opposite their forecourt (which I am not sure is true)

Fishwives Causeway is a 'cycle route'?? which is a joke!! (no signage) if the cyclist is able to negotiate Fishwives Causeway during the day what with double parking of HGV's etc.. Cars being tested by the Local Garage...
they then have to negotiate the 'pedestrian crossing ' as mentioned it is on the slight bend in the road!! When trying to cross the road at the Pedestrian crossing from Fishwives Causeway, it is extremely scary , pedestrians cannot have a clear view of the road running from west to east, they basically hope that the vehicle will see the traffic lights at red and stop - there is never a day goes by when vehicles do not run the red light.

Crossing to Fishwives Causeway from Telferton is another hazard - when you reach the other side of Harry Lauder Road - you are on to Baileyfield Road - there is no pavement for pedestrians!! if you are unfamiliar with this area it can be daunting.
The opening for this crossing is by far to wide with no security railings for pedestrians, we complained and the council put in one single bollard, probably due to vehicles accessing Harry Lauder Road from the Causeway and vice versa!!

We residents have for years complained about the gross dangers of this area for pedestrians and cyclists alike. I do not know if this is also in ROSPA's remit.

Camera's along with traffic calming measures are desperately needed in these locations.
Gemini

Postby kevin » 05 Jun 2003, 13:55

kevin

Postby Guest » 05 Jun 2003, 17:20

Fatal accident at King's Road roundabout

Postby Lawrence Marshall » 12 Jun 2003, 18:50

I was very sorry on my return from holiday this week to learn of the fatal accident which occurred at the King's Road roundabout on the morning of Monday 26th May.
The thought of this accident has stayed with me since and I have contacted the Council's officials with the suggestions raised with me by local cyclists.
I understand that there was to be a site meeting involving the Council and the police today (Thursday 12 June 2003) at the roundabout and I will update this site with any new information arising from this.
I actually was unaware that the Fishwives Causeway alternative route to town wasn't signposted from Portobello High Street - it certainly is from Moira Terrace. I hope that our officials can speedily put up the necessary signage.
As folk probably are aware it it likely that traffic lights will be installed in the reasonably near future at the King's Road roundabout. Whether the roundabout itself remains is uncertain but the view of the Community Council is that its complete removal would not be welcome if it was only to be replaced by a large expanse of black tarmac.
In terms of the height of the existing vegetation on the roundabout, there is a view by safety experts that this actually helps reduce traffic speeds on the roundabout since to provide a clear view right across would tempt folk to "go for it". Recent trimming work and painting of chevrons has thus largely been a tidying up exercise.
I hope that Spokes and other cyclists will feel free to continue to make suggestions for improving the situation at the rounabout for cyclists in the short term known to me and to our officials - I will press for any such improvements that can be made to be made as quickly as possible.
Lawrence Marshall

Postby rbrtwlkr » 12 Jun 2003, 22:18

Hi

When i was return to work which i work for the council which i am tractor driver which i always cleaning beach with machine i saw the flowers there which it was surprised that happen and i knew the roundabout really busy every day and it would be very best way to get new traffic lights because when i finished with beach i go through kings road and i always wait wait wait for about 5 to 10 mins approx then finally clear so i quickly enter roundabout so it is BEST WAY is traffic lights as it would less accidents

robert
rbrtwlkr

Postby Gemini » 13 Jun 2003, 12:19

I am rather surprised at Councillor Marshalls remarks that he was unaware that there were any signage at Porty High Street/Fishwives Causeway, the Residents at Baileyfield Road have been for many years advising the Councillor that there is' no adequate signage at all for this immediate area' , eg. Cul-de-sac, Cycle Route, or indeed that there is a Residential Street located here!!

I would hope that Lawrence has read the posting regarding the dangers of the crossing at Fishwives Causeway/Harry Lauder Road - we shall await his response!!
Gemini

Postby Lawrence Marshall » 13 Jun 2003, 18:54

In response to "Gemini" I was aware of the request for a "cul-de-sac" sign to indicate before getting that far that Baileyfield Road at the top of the first section of Fishwives Causeway leaving Portobello is a dead end. Our officials have placed such a sign at the top - but I agree that one closer to Portobello High Street would be useful.

I received the e-mail below today from Graeme Paget of City Development. I thought that it might be of interest. I should add that I also spoke today to someone related to the lady killed at the roundabout who gave me a better idea of the circumstances leading to her tragic death.

... e-mail from Graeme Paget:

Hello Everyone

I can offer the following information on these matters :-

This Department's Cycle Team will be reviewing the signing for the cycle route on Fishwives Causeway and will instigate improvements where necessary.

The re-design of the road junction (which may or may nor include the removal of the roundabout) will be carried out as part of a 3 year programme for The Quality Bus Corridor Project. There are no detailed designs available as yet since the project only got underway in April 2003. I believe however, that this junction may be one of the first to be constructed within the overall project.

The vegetation on the roundabout has been fairly well maintained over the last 18months as part of a combined effort between Network Services and Environmental Services' Local Area Task Force. There are no statistics to indicate that the foliage creates a road safety issue, therefore it is not proposaed that this be cut back further at this time. If there are any particular locations that raise concerns for cyclists with regards to foliage, please do contact me to discuss this further.

I am sure that the new road layout proposed for this location will offer cyclists greater priorities through the junction. As described above though, details of this do not exist yet.

Finally, I am aware that a speed camera is proposed for Sir Harry Lauder Road and this is due to be installed this year.

If you would like to discuss any of the above issues further, please contact me and I will direct you to the appropriate section of our the Department.

Regards

Graeme Paget
Professional Officer
Network Services - North Area
Tel : 0131 529 3718
Lawrence Marshall

Postby Dave » 13 Jun 2003, 20:04

Dave

Postby Lawrence Marshall » 13 Jun 2003, 21:35

Lawrence Marshall

Postby Cairns » 13 Jun 2003, 22:44

Cairns

Postby Gemini » 13 Jun 2003, 23:09

Gemini

Postby Gemini » 13 Jun 2003, 23:17

Gemini

Postby Dave » 14 Jun 2003, 01:30

Dave

Postby Gemini » 14 Jun 2003, 17:28

Gemini

Postby Dave » 14 Jun 2003, 18:38

Dave

Postby Gemini » 14 Jun 2003, 22:28

Gemini

Postby Jamesie » 21 Jun 2003, 01:49

Jamesie

Postby Lawrence Marshall » 25 Jul 2003, 19:06

Dear All,
I thought that you might be interested in the two e-mails below from Graeme Paget of the Council's Department of City Development. The first was sent on 13th June 2003.

Councillor Lawrence Marshall
Portobello

I can offer the following information on these matters :-

This Department's Cycle Team will be reviewing the signing for the cycle route on Fishwives Causeway and will instagate improvements where necessary.

The re-design of the road junction (which may or may nor include the removal of the roundabout) will be carried out as part of a 3 year programme for The Quality Bus Corridor Project. There are no detailed designs available as yet since the project only got underway in April 2003. I believe however, that this junction may be one of the first to be constructed within the overall project.

The vegetation on the roundabout has been fairly well maintained over the last 18months as part of a combined effort between Network Services and Environmental Services' Local Area Task Force. There are no statistics to indicate that the foliage creates a road safety issue, therefore it is not proposaed that this be cut back further at this time. If there are any particular locations that raise concerns for cyclists with regards to foliage, please do contact me to discuss this further.

I am sure that the new road layout proposed for this location will offer cyclists greater priorities through the junction. As described above though, details of this do not exist yet.

Finally, I am aware that a speed camera is proposed for Sir Harry Lauder Road and this is due to be installed this year.

If you would like to discuss any of the above issues further, please contact me and I will direct you to the appropriate section of our the Department.

Regards

Graeme Paget
Professional Officer
Network Services - North Area

... and the following of the 8th of July 2003:

Lawrence

I refer to you phone call earlier today regarding the above. Having attended the fatal accident enquiry held on 13 June 2003, I can inform you that the The City of Edinburgh Council are to investigate the possibility of :-
1. The introduction of spiral markings on the roundabout in conjunction with more destination names to be painted on the road surface.

2. Introduction of "Get in Lane For " Signs on the approach to the roundabout.

3. Look at the alternative route, already in place for pedal cyclists, (High Street, Fishwives Causeway) to see if it is still suitable for cyclists in relation to ligthing and personal safety.

Plans are presently being drawn up by CEC for the introduction of a Quality Bus Corridor in the area which may see the roundabout being removed and the junction being redesigned with the introduction of traffic signals.

I hope this is of assistance.

Regards

Graeme Paget
Professional Officer
City Development Department
Network Services - North
Lawrence Marshall

Postby Gemini » 29 Jul 2003, 19:24

Just wondering when the barrier at King's Road Roundabout will be fixed, must be a couple of weeks now since something crashed through it.
The temporary barrier has also broken off and is lying mangled on the road.

Should any of the Portobello Reps!!! be reading this perhaps they can arrange with their contacts in the council to have it repaired asap, as it is a safety matter of the utmost urgency!!
Gemini

Return to G&TT