[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - "Sort it out yourselves" (PPAG win legal appeal)

"Sort it out yourselves" (PPAG win legal appeal)

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"

"Sort it out yourselves" (PPAG win legal appeal)

Postby Grunk » 12 Sep 2012, 12:30

admin: thread split from .

Can I graze livestock on common good land?
Grunk

Re: New Portobello High School - PPAG Judicial Review

Postby seanie » 12 Sep 2012, 12:30

Do lions and tigers count as livestock?
seanie

Postby Sceptic » 12 Sep 2012, 12:40

Rentagob and co's ego will know no bounds, today Portobello High School, tomorrow, Sainsbury's, next month, the world! Not only have they condemned the pupils and staff who are at porobello, also Boroughmuir and all the other schools who were in the next tranche of school development. Always remember, we have long memories, you will not be forgotten

"Vengence is mine saith the Lord, I will repay!"
Sceptic

Postby fresian » 12 Sep 2012, 13:21

Grunk,

Yes I believe you can, and unlike dogs, you are not required to clean up after them. so feel free to parade your oxen in the park.
fresian

Re: New Portobello High School - PPAG win legal appeal

Postby Bob Jefferson » 13 Sep 2012, 11:44

Viridor might be interested? :twisted:
Bob Jefferson

Postby lg1726 » 13 Sep 2012, 11:46

Yep - if there were to be a dispose and build strategy, better it be a school than flats/houses and like you and I fresian, I'm sure given the recent past, many others will feel the same way about such a commercial alternative! Or how about a superstore!!
lg1726

Postby Snow White » 13 Sep 2012, 11:54

Sainsbury's gets my vote Ig!
Snow White

Postby lg1726 » 13 Sep 2012, 12:03

Yea with a skateboard facility thrown in for good measure!!!
lg1726

Postby Bob Jefferson » 13 Sep 2012, 12:09

And a small lake for jetskis.
Bob Jefferson

Postby lg1726 » 13 Sep 2012, 12:16

Get a bloody sight more use with all this on it than we see now!!
lg1726

Postby fresian » 13 Sep 2012, 12:20

Still reckon a travellers site would be a good addition to the area, You know, social inclusion and all that. The rules say that the council can't build on the site, there is nothing to say that they can't give permission for someone to park a caravan on it. Reckon the proposed half way house for offenders which was proposed opposite at the crossroads should be given the go ahead as well.
fresian

Postby Pal of Porty » 19 Sep 2012, 09:59

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Epykat » 19 Sep 2012, 16:37

Epykat

Postby rmolehusband » 19 Sep 2012, 16:42

Come on Commander, don't get in a flap and stall any longer, what land do you have in mind. This has been a sorry tail, a long haul and a real drag, and we can't wing it with our childrens' education any longer no matter what the spoilers say. Despite its roll, the current school is a dive, not enough room for even a pitch. It's getting beyond a yoke.
rmolehusband

Postby rmolehusband » 19 Sep 2012, 16:45

rmolehusband

Postby Porty » 19 Sep 2012, 16:47

Epykat

I assure you It wasn't meant to be funny. You and the above named are content to destroy or remove Portobello High School from the heart of our community - it is a matter of fact and widely recognised to be the truth, you and your ilk have no viable solution that will save PHS. No shite.

Allow me to add the caveat; it is not up to "the ilk" to come up with a soultion. You are simply the ones that stood in the way. I'm not sure whether it's selfishness, ignorance or a combination of the two but it is the truth and I repeat is widely recognised amongst our community.
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby Scoop » 19 Sep 2012, 17:06

Gene pool not swimming pool..........
Scoop

Postby Scoop » 19 Sep 2012, 22:58

Scoop

Postby seanie » 19 Sep 2012, 23:08

I would respond in more detail, but life's too short to respond to each and every bat-shit insane idea that someone comes up with.
seanie

Postby Scoop » 19 Sep 2012, 23:21

Scoop

Postby brian » 20 Sep 2012, 00:43

Anybody should be entitled to comment about any subject raised, that is the purpose of the forum. I just feel that ridiculing people's suggestions will not benefit anybody. I too want a new School as soon as possible, I am an ex pupil, I have a son at the school and a son at Duddingston Primary. All that I am suggesting is that it is made welcoming for people to offer alternative suggestions ( should they be required ).
brian

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 01:01

seanie

Postby brian » 20 Sep 2012, 01:02

With that I agree wholeheartedly , it is a major problem , but even with the pursuance of a legal route, there still has to be a plan B, so opening the door to as many contributors as possible is an essential.
brian

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 01:15

But fantasy Plan Bs are merely a distraction, and don't help at all. They give false hope and don't move the debate on.

In terms of site options, 15 were explored back in 2006. Most were not remotely viable then and it's unlikely to be much different now, although they can be looked at again. I've given my take on the alternatives above. I may well be missing something, but when I try to go through the alternatives none seem very attractive, and precious few are even deliverable.
seanie

Postby brian » 20 Sep 2012, 01:26

If you have no intention of considering a contingency plan, I don't understand why you are on the forum. If it turns out that Porty Park is not possible, we still need a new school.
brian

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 01:29

I've gone to some lengths to outline contingency options above.

Are you hard of reading?
seanie

Postby brian » 20 Sep 2012, 01:36

Could you please explain your idea of the the difference between a "fantasy plan B " and a contingency plan ?, I'm not being awkward, I'm simply trying to understand you.
brian

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 01:52

Building a 3-4 storey school,"conference, research, sport or a visitor centre or something" on 10m stilts over the Freightliner terminal and East Coast main line is not, in any sense a 'contingency plan'. Contingency plans have to be constrained by some sense of reality (financial, legal, regulatory, practical etc.) otherwise they're not contingency plans. They're fantasy.

For example, whilst the technology certainly exists to create a new PHS in geo-stationary orbit above the the earth, the costs involved in building such a facility, and the maintenance costs, would be prohibitive. I imagine the Travel Plan would be quite a challenge too. So a satellite PHS, whilst not technically impossible, is such a an unlikely option that it would not be a 'contingency plan' in any sensible reading of the term. It would be a 'fantasy Plan B'.

Can you begin to recognise the distinction?

If so we can begin to discuss 'contingency plans' on their actual merits , as opposed to simply letting utter nonsense pass without comment.
seanie

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 02:00

Obviously there's spectrum ranging from the reasonable to the deranged, but surely simply positing an 'contingency plan' does't actually make it an actual contingency plan?
seanie

Postby brian » 20 Sep 2012, 02:04

Prior to posting tonight, several friends had expressed their reluctance to post on this forum for fear of being ridiculed by the responses, after your response to post 6, I fully understand their concerns, with your unquestionable knowledge of everything, you will no doubt be able to sort everything out without any assistance from anybody else.
brian

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 02:16

If you're actually interested in the issue, what options exist and how to resolve it, then engage with it. All you've done so far is whine about the tone of other people's comments, without offering any substantive comment at all.

What contingency plans can you think of? What do you disagree with in the options I examined above?

That could lead to a constructive debate.
seanie

Postby brian » 20 Sep 2012, 02:23

I am extremely interested in the issue and I' m not aware of having " whined " about anything. I have merely suggested that you could be more welcoming to new contributors. your responses are clearly antagonistic, so I will make my proposals to the people at the Town Hall, hopefully they will be more tolerant.
brian

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 02:31

Again you choose not to make any substantive comments on the central issue; replacing PHS.
seanie

Postby Scoop » 20 Sep 2012, 07:17

Scoop

Postby seanie » 20 Sep 2012, 08:00

seanie

Next

Return to G&TT