What you listening to at the moment?

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"

Postby Maria » 28 Feb 2008, 23:43

Marya wrote:
ecm wrote:I'll see you there. Mr ecm secured tickets for the front circle. We're taking Dan too so it's costing a fortune. It'll be D's first gig. He was weaned on Neil Young.

I'm as excited about that as I am about seeing Mr. Young.

Snap! We're taking Matthew, but he doesn't know it yet as it is a surprise. It'll be his first gig too, so it will be extra special. From an early age he's sung along very happily to 'The Needle and the Damage Done' :lol: We're in Row A in the stalls so will give you a wave :wav:

Still excited ecm? Have you seen the price of tickets on ebay? :shock: Resisted the temptation and have hung onto ours. Just the little matter of tomorrow night and *ahem* Disney's stage production of High School Musical to do first :oops:
Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 28 Feb 2008, 23:57

Without wishing to appear snobbiste about this, the HSM audience was the worst-behaved my wife, a veteran of children's shows, has ever experienced, though I still maintain that nothing beats the borstal school outing I had sitting behind me at a Xmas panto a few years back.

Look out for the wall to wall merchandising btw.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Maria » 29 Feb 2008, 00:04

Please let it be over soon [-o<
Maria

Postby ecm » 29 Feb 2008, 00:05

Marya wrote:Please let it be over soon [-o<

Are you taking the kids from your school?
ecm

Postby Maria » 29 Feb 2008, 00:08

No...my son. Let's just say his musical influences are many and diverse :roll:
Maria

Postby ecm » 29 Feb 2008, 00:11

Marya wrote:Still excited ecm? Have you seen the price of tickets on ebay? :shock:

There's a big wad of cash to be made, isn't there? I'm resisting too and looking forward to it very much.
I shall throw jelly beans at you from up above.
ecm

Postby ecm » 29 Feb 2008, 00:13

Marya wrote:No...my son. Let's just say his musical influences are many and diverse :roll:

Blimey!! Oh well, good luck and all that. See you Monday.
ecm

Postby Maria » 01 Mar 2008, 00:32

Bob Jefferson wrote:Without wishing to appear snobbiste about this, the HSM audience was the worst-behaved my wife, a veteran of children's shows, has ever experienced, though I still maintain that nothing beats the borstal school outing I had sitting behind me at a Xmas panto a few years back.

Look out for the wall to wall merchandising btw.

Well, tonight's crowd was very well behaved I must say. Think you'd have approved of the two 18 year old girls sitting beside us, Bob. They came dressed in mini skirted replica cheer leader outfits from the film, though I'm not sure if shiny, red stilettos are an authentic part of a cheer leader's apparel.

Fortunately, escaped most of the merchandising, though we did buy a basketball keyring.
Maria

Postby kipling » 01 Mar 2008, 18:07

kipling

Postby ecm » 01 Mar 2008, 19:08

kipling wrote:Neil Young - 2008 Set Lists

http://www.sugarmtn.org/years/08nysets.html

Thanks for that Kipling. It's got the juices flowing. Plenty there to please most folks and more than a few numbers to give Neil an opportunity to go off on a 15 minute blistering guitar solo.

Bring it!
ecm

Postby Maria » 04 Mar 2008, 10:26

Marya wrote:Neil Young - Live Rust

Gradually grown on me over the years.
Will be at his March concert along with all the old hippies :hippy2:

What a fantastic night! Did Dan enjoy it ecm (and did you get your drink :lol:) ? Did it live up to your expectations Kipling (and belated Happy birthday!)? Did you get a ticket in the end Porty? I hope you did, though there was a fair bit of competition for them judging by the number of folk outside with placards. We were told front row tickets were fetching £500 and that there had been folk at the railway station in Livingston asking for spare tickets.

Homer had seen Neil before, both times at the SECC, which is a fairly crap venue and he said nothing compared to last night's concert.

It was my son's first gig and it really couldn't have been any more special. There was a great atmosphere and when Neil eventually spoke to the audience he seemed to be enjoying it too. He did 'go off on one' a few times; 'Down By The River' and 'Powderfinger' are two of my favourites, so no complaints on that front. 'No Hidden Path', however, went on for roughly 25 !!!! minutes; I did wonder if we were to get any sort of encore or if that was it. Fortunately, the band returned to the stage and gave us more.

During the concert, the really nice guy behind me was so taken with Matthew's enthusiasm he gave him a book of music of Neil's early tracks, with a dedication inside, to mark the occasion. At the end, Matthew was holding the book up in front of him and the band members clocked him as they took their bow. Ralph Molina then came across and handed Matthew one drumstick and me the other (they are printed with Ralph Molina's signature and 'Neil Young and Crazy Horse') . As I said , it couldn't have been any more special for him and, therefore, for us. He's still on cloud nine today, though he suspects that only his teacher will appreciate his story.

Just noticed that Porty was posting last night so obviously missed out on the concert.
Maria

Postby ecm » 04 Mar 2008, 13:30

Yeah, we all enjoyed it immensely. I kind of began to wilt during No Hidden Path, it's not a song I rate really. I'd have rather had Cortez instead of that one but, hey ho.

Dan loved it all too but how fab is that that Matt get's a stick from the legendary Ralph. Amazing!

Neil's wife Pegi, who supported him, was mediocre to say the least, but Neil's dog could have come on stage and chased his tail for 40 mins and got the same indulgent reception.

I was most impressed that Neil made a real effort in the wardrobe department. He appeared for the first of his two sets in a nice (not too crumpled) beige suit. Well done that man, I thought. However, for the second set he appeared in a dark suit that looked like it had been shat on by a thousand seagulls. Were those paint splatters or what?
Tsk!

Wonder what you'd get for your stick on e bay, M?
ecm

Postby Maria » 04 Mar 2008, 14:08

ecm wrote:Neil's wife Pegi, who supported him, was mediocre to say the least, but Neil's dog could have come on stage and chased his tail for 40 mins and got the same indulgent reception.

I went expecting the worst, so didn't think she was so bad. Think we all knew that we had to be receptive as our reaction to her could determine his performance.

He appeared for the first of his two sets in a nice (not too crumpled) beige suit. Well done that man, I thought. However, for the second set he appeared in a dark suit that looked like it had been shat on by a thousand seagulls. Were those paint splatters or what?
Tsk!

Wonder what you'd get for your stick on e bay, M?

The first suit (and the white shirt) were also covered in paint splatters ecm. The painting thing was obviously the theme of the show, what with the 'artist' bloke painting those canvases during the acoustic set and putting them up to introduce the songs during the electric set.

I haven't got my stick. Matt very promptly claimed them both, though if he has any intention of taking up playing the drums he'd better think again! :twisted:

I couldn't believe the amount of stuff on the stage, some of which was quite bizarre. For example, there was an old fashioned red phone and a light-up miniature model of a wild west hotel with 'Neil's ' written on it. What was that all about??
Maria

Postby Porty » 04 Mar 2008, 14:14

Sounds like I missed a fantastic show, which has just been compounded by my meeting a well-connected ticket fellow fi Portobello, outside the deli.

"you should have called me" he said!!

Oh well, can't win them all.

Played acoustic for an hour, i believe?
Porty

Postby Maria » 04 Mar 2008, 15:11

Porty wrote:Played acoustic for an hour, i believe?

You can find the set order on here Porty.
Maria

Postby Porty » 04 Mar 2008, 15:36

Tremendous. Mr ticketman said "he didn't play 3 of my favourites" but then immediately balance matters with "but it was brilliant".
Porty

Postby Maria » 04 Mar 2008, 15:53

I suppose you can't expect him to play his entire back catalogue though I would have liked to have heard 'Like a Hurricane', 'Pocahontas' and 'Rockin' in the Free World' none of which he played. Enjoyed 'Dirty Old Man' which I hadn't heard before.
Maria

Postby Maria » 04 Mar 2008, 17:11

ecm wrote:Neil's wife Pegi, who supported him, was mediocre to say the least,

Forgot to mention ecm, but the guy who was sitting behind my pal would agree with you - he fell asleep! :lol:
Maria

Postby Porty » 04 Mar 2008, 17:57

Marya wrote:I suppose you can't expect him to play his entire back catalogue though I would have liked to have heard 'Like a Hurricane', 'Pocahontas' and 'Rockin' in the Free World' none of which he played. Enjoyed 'Dirty Old Man' which I hadn't heard before.

I would take those 3 and Welfare Lover (if thats what its called)

We have been listening to ATGR all afternoon at work.
Porty

Postby Porty » 04 Mar 2008, 20:13

Think I saw you on the High Street at about 5pm this evening Marya, if that was Matthew you were with I would watch out, he looks as if he may be getting a bit Neil Young like in his appearance. :lol:
Porty

Postby Maria » 04 Mar 2008, 21:01

You can't do anything round here without being spotted!

I'm trying to figure out the Matthew/Neil Young comparison. Is it his clothing, his hair or his gait? Admittedly, he does have a hole in his jeans and he is currently sporting his 'Winter length' hair, but he's never had polio so if he's walking funnily I'm not sure what his problem is!
Maria

Postby Porty » 05 Mar 2008, 11:21

Well I only saw the hair and what I thought was a long coat. Could be cos' the last time I saw him he looked like a wee boy who had a Sloppy Joe on!! :lol:
Porty

Postby ecm » 05 Mar 2008, 11:31

Marya wrote:
ecm wrote:Neil's wife Pegi, who supported him, was mediocre to say the least,

Forgot to mention ecm, but the guy who was sitting behind my pal would agree with you - he fell asleep! :lol:

It was too dreadful to sleep to. What was that song like with the scitar on it???????

here's a review and a pic of his manky suit
ecm

Postby Maria » 05 Mar 2008, 21:19

Porty wrote:Well I only saw the hair and what I thought was a long coat. Could be cos' the last time I saw him he looked like a wee boy who had a Sloppy Joe on!! :lol:

No long coat .....yet :? He was just carrying my Porty Shopper for me. The ' wee boy' is fast disappearing before my eyes. It's scary stuff :(
Maria

Postby Poppy » 07 Mar 2008, 21:28

Review in the paper today with pics of the coat http://music.guardian.co.uk/live/story/0,,2263190,00.html

Made me laugh, this bit:

For reasons known only to Young, an artist paints canvases at the rear of the stage and announces songs by placing interpretative pictures on a large easel stage right. The unexplained visual art theme extends to Young's paint-spattered suit. He looks disturbingly like a man who has been on the receiving end of a seagull's bowel movement. Still, no one goes to see Neil Young in search of fashion tips.
Poppy

Postby kipling » 10 Mar 2008, 00:36

At the end, Matthew was holding the book up in front of him and the band members clocked him as they took their bow. Ralph Molina then came across and handed Matthew one drumstick and me the other (they are printed with Ralph Molina's signature and 'Neil Young and Crazy Horse')

I've being going to gigs for 30 years, and the best I ever managed was John Entwistle's plectrum. :roll:
kipling

Postby Maria » 10 Mar 2008, 14:01

kipling wrote: the best I ever managed was John Entwistle's plectrum. :roll:

Who?
Maria

Postby ecm » 10 Mar 2008, 15:49

Marya wrote:
kipling wrote: the best I ever managed was John Entwistle's plectrum. :roll:

Who?

ecm

Postby Maria » 26 Mar 2008, 19:41

Burach (my favourite Gaelic word!) - Vincent Black Lightning 1952
Maria

Postby Black Mamba » 18 Apr 2008, 13:28

Right now I'm listening to the new Linkin Park CD 'Minutes To Midnight'
Love it.
Black Mamba

Postby Maria » 19 Sep 2008, 09:52

Maria

Postby ecm » 19 Sep 2008, 11:00

Excellent.

He's playing Cabaret Voltaire on Sunday. I saw him there a few years ago supporting someone. I was so taken with Hayes as support that I've since forgotten who topped the bill.

Hayes was fantastic and such a handsome chap. Quite the comedian too.
ecm

Postby Maria » 19 Sep 2008, 11:14

ecm wrote:He's playing Cabaret Voltaire on Sunday. I saw him there a few years ago supporting someone. I was so taken with Hayes as support that I've since forgotten who topped the bill.

Hayes was fantastic and such a handsome chap. Quite the comedian too.

Many thanks for that ecm. If I can arrange a baby sitter (Matt hates me using that term :lol: ) for Sunday I'd love to see him.
Maria

Postby ecm » 19 Sep 2008, 11:20

To be honest, I quite fancy it myself. The only problem last time was getting a good look at him. Bad combination of vaulted ceiling and him being about 6 foot 6 tall.
It's really bugging me that I can't remember who else was on last time. it might have been Buddy Miller?

Anyway, I'll have to think about whether to go or not. It is a school night after all.

Might see you there.
ecm

Postby Maria » 29 Sep 2008, 15:27

Marya wrote:Attic Lights - Never Get Sick of the Sea

OK I'm a teeny bit biased as the drummer, Noel, is a wee brother of a pal from home (and I feel ancient as I remember him only as a baby, without the beard). However, I reckon their single, due out tomorrow , could do really well. Good luck to them!

Just heard Attic Lights' Wendy being played by Mark Radcliffe on Radio 2.
Maria

PreviousNext

Return to G&TT