How do I get an avatar?

We guide you through a series of masterclasses in posting pictures, getting an avatar and much more!

How do I get an avatar?

Postby Guest » 06 Nov 2004, 15:01

First you need to find an avatar that you like. This is simply a small image that you wish to represent you on the forum.

Have a look in www.heathersanimations.com for a start, or try a Google search on 'avatars'.

The image needs to be hosted somewhere so that you can link to it. Then it's simply a case of posting the URL in your profile setting. However, linking to someone else's web site in this way is not recommended because it is considered bandwidth theft. Ideally, you should upload the image to your own personal webspace and link from there. If that is not possible you could email the image to us and we can host it on your behalf.

Let's assume you have posted a suitable image on your own webspace. If you right-click on your chosen image and select 'Properties' you will get the URL of your image. Copy this URL and then click on the 'Profile' button at the top of the page. Scroll down to the Avatar control panel and paste the URL into 'Link to off-site Avatar' field and then hit the submit button.

Your image should be no wider than 125 pixels (and preferably no taller) and the resolution should be set to 72 dpi.

If all this sounds complicated, it isn't really. Give it a go. If you get stuck there are plenty of people here ready to help you.

Postby Mimpty » 26 Nov 2004, 17:27

dear experts,

If you see an image you like, is there any way of shrinking it to the appropriate size for this site? Or would I just have to look for something else?
(Just a general query)

Thanks.
Mimpty

Postby Guest » 26 Nov 2004, 17:44

Dear Mimpty

My advice to you is to save an image somewhere on your computer, in your My Pictures folder for example. Now, right-click on the image and from the drop-down box select 'Open With'. This should give you a list of programs you can use to display the image. It is almost certain that you will be able to use at least one of these applications to edit your image.

If you want to try this and post back or pm me we can take it from there, but it's very simple and you will probably work it out yourself. Give it a go!

An Expert (not really)

Postby Mimpty » 26 Nov 2004, 18:01

Thanks Bob!

I will have a bash at this soon. Still chuffed at finally putting an avatar up there in the first place. :D

I can only use the computer at my work and they put the fear of God into us when they gave us internet access. Don't download, don't do this, don't do that etc.

Mimpty.
Mimpty

Postby ecm » 26 Nov 2004, 18:19

Mimpty wrote:Thanks Bob!

I will have a bash at this soon. Still chuffed at finally putting an avatar up there in the first place. :D

Mimpty.

Mimpty,

This link was provided by Alex way back on the thread relating to posting pictures and I've used it since many times with no probs.

http://www.resize2mail.com/
ecm

Postby Mimpty » 29 Nov 2004, 14:56

Thanks, ECM, will have a bash.
Mimpty

Postby Lizzie » 26 Mar 2005, 17:45

I have tried to follow the new instructions on how to get an Avator on the Avators - Need to upload thread, but not having much luck. Please could someone explain it in simple terms to me again - sorry :oops:
I'd only just got to grips with the previous way to do it :lol:
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?
Lizzie

Postby Lizzie » 26 Mar 2005, 18:31

I've done it - I think :!: I've managed to get a lovely little pink Easter bunny :)
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?
Lizzie

Return to How do I?