Playground provision in Portobello

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Playground provision in Portobello

Postby Bob Jefferson » 29 Jan 2005, 21:40

The Portobello Community Development Plan is beginning to take shape and we are at the stage where some of the ideas we have been discussing are now becoming actions.

One of the themes we have been exploring is playground provision and I have volunteered to take this one forward. What I would like to do is get some feedback on the current provision from kids and parents. Which playgrounds are in need of maintenance? Which need to be refurbished? Is the current provision adequate, age-appropriate etc? What else could be provided?

Once we have agreed what is required I would envisage a meeting between a group of parents, Ron Tulloch (the person in CEC responsible) and our local councillors.

Your input is needed so please share your thoughts on this subject.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 22 Apr 2005, 08:48

By the end of today 1500 questionnaires on this subject will have been distributed via local primary schools and nurseries.

The results will be analysed and published on this forum and will be circulated to our local councillors, Ron Tulloch and other council officials. A meeting of interested parties, including parents who want to be involved, will then be convened.

In the meantime, this thread is for anyone who wants to post comments or ideas on playground provision in Portobello.

A separate survey on provision for teenagers will be circulated via local secondary schools very soon.
Bob Jefferson

Postby bellybabe » 22 Apr 2005, 14:56

Bob Jefferson wrote:By the end of today 1500 questionnaires on this subject will have been distributed via local primary schools and nurseries.
[

Don't push it - if they only arrived through my door this morning they can't be distributed until next Friday! I'll try and persuade as many people as possible to fill them out there and then though.
BB
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!

-Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz)
bellybabe

Postby Bob Jefferson » 23 Apr 2005, 21:30

See what I mean? Just can't get the staff. :roll:
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 28 Apr 2005, 23:08

Bellybabe wrote:
Bob Jefferson wrote:By the end of today 1500 questionnaires on this subject will have been distributed via local primary schools and nurseries.
[

Don't push it - if they only arrived through my door this morning they can't be distributed until next Friday! I'll try and persuade as many people as possible to fill them out there and then though.
BB

Really BB - get the finger out! I've had my 1800 distributed, filled in, returned to my dining table and sorted into bundles in less than a week, so.....na,na,nanana :wink:
Enough of your nonsense - get back to the Play Pen!
Epykat

Postby Bob Jefferson » 30 Apr 2005, 18:59

Latest on Joppa Quarry Park from Maureen's report to the CC:

Joppa Quarry Park - Children's Play Area

Tenders were returned for the play park. It will cost more than we anticipated, but the project will still go ahead as planned. The Council's Ron Tulloch, parks and sports technical manager, has been disappointed that nobody has got back to him about being involved in the design, but it is not too late for children to get involved in the finer points later on. Ron can be contacted on 529 7955 ron.tulloch@edinburgh.gov.uk . He is pleased about the work that is taking place to plan play facilities for all young people in the area, led by Bob Jefferson at the meeting in the Portobello Library at 6.30pm on Tuesday 10 May.
Bob Jefferson

Postby bellybabe » 30 Apr 2005, 21:17

A couple of my questionnaires came back with people saying they'd like to be involved in this. The questionnaire implied it was already sorted to a lot of people, I think.
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!

-Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz)
bellybabe

Postby Bob Jefferson » 30 Apr 2005, 21:27

You're right, we did imply that because that was the information I was given, but it may not be too late for these people to have some input. If you have contact details for them then put them in touch with Ron Tulloch.
Bob Jefferson

Postby MrsMc » 08 May 2005, 12:46

Last year the council dismantled some of the play equipment at Mount Lodge Place. I understand the Helter Skelter had helped cause a broken arm before I moved here (four years ago) however I have no idea why the council removed this and the small swing/slide section. I assumed at the time that they were being replaced by updated equipment, but nothing has materlised. This was around the time Rosefield Place got re-done.

If anything, this has encouraged the disrespect of this play area, with less to play with the kids are bound to cause more mayhem (with broken bottles etc) I suppose a subconcious response on their part but which we and the council should be more wise by treating the children with more respect.

This park is used by lots of parents with young children on a daily basis - I have cleaned this park many times (as have my neighbours and the children) as sometimes the council haven't gotten round to it. (When they do, they do a fantastic job). There is a problem with some teens using the park as a bottle smashing arena but I suggest this would swiftly halt if they had some kind of equipment dedicated to them (maybe like the items at the top of Figgate Park?) Sturdy items encouraging healthy competition bewtween the youngsters. I have visited a fantastic park in East Lothian with highly unique but simple items which the children would love- where exactly escapes my memory for the moment but I will let you know when I remember.

It's a shame to think this area, deep in historical value to Portobello hasn't been given a cash injection - which would ultimately benefit the kids in this area - their self-esteem could certainly do with it!!
MrsMc

Postby Bob Jefferson » 22 May 2005, 19:53

I now have the returned questionnaires, around 100 in total. The response has been excellent, with everyone taking the issue very seriously and obviously putting a lot of thought into it. Most pleasing of all is that a massive 57 parents have indicated that they would be "willing to take part in further consultation, including a meeting to develop the idea of community involvement in our playparks."

I intend to set up a meeting with Ron Tulloch and local parents in the near future to discuss the results.
Bob Jefferson

Return to Portobello Matters