[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Save our Golf Course

Save our Golf Course

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Save our Golf Course

Postby Porty » 03 Feb 2006, 10:58

Porty

Postby Epykat » 03 Feb 2006, 19:22

Epykat

Postby Bob Jefferson » 03 Feb 2006, 19:51

Bob Jefferson

Postby Porty » 04 Feb 2006, 12:11

Porty

Postby Epykat » 04 Feb 2006, 13:07

Epykat

Postby sample808 » 17 May 2006, 14:58

i too hold a heavy disdain for golf as an activity. it is anti-social and claims green space that could be used by all (you cannot picnic on a golf course, although i still try...)

so why has a proposal for a new golf course been tagged onto the end of the pfans proposal? it seems very unpopular and, lets face it, we live in scotland where golf is pretty well provided for.

i also don't buy the view that the loss of this one public course will deprive us of the next tiger woods. i don't think poor kids play golf they just like to carry the clubs about...

i think the pfans proposal should u-turn on this issue or that a new petition should be started: to rid green spaces from the dangerous tyranny of the little white ball.
sample808

Postby Mate of Marya » 18 May 2006, 02:49

Mate of Marya

Postby Stephen McIntyre » 18 May 2006, 08:57

Stephen McIntyre

Postby Mate of Marya » 18 May 2006, 17:41

Mate of Marya

Postby Porty » 19 May 2006, 14:47

.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby Dadaist » 19 May 2006, 15:49

Dadaist

Postby Porty » 19 May 2006, 15:59

Porty

Postby Dadaist » 19 May 2006, 16:04

Dadaist

Postby Porty » 19 May 2006, 16:21

Porty

Postby Mate of Marya » 19 May 2006, 16:54

Mate of Marya

Postby Maria » 19 May 2006, 17:19

There is a certain irony in the fact that while some local residents are trying to preserve the golf course for families, dog walkers etc., nationally golfers are trying to 'manage' public access to golf courses ; see this link to a BBC article
Maria

Postby gilo » 19 May 2006, 17:29

Anyone know whats the public access policy to the golf course in Portobello Park is?
gilo

Postby Porty » 19 May 2006, 19:33

Porty

Postby Epykat » 19 May 2006, 20:37

Epykat

Postby Epykat » 19 May 2006, 20:39

Epykat

Postby Cleopas » 19 May 2006, 22:30

Cleopas

golf

Postby sample808 » 18 Jun 2006, 16:50

sorry mate of marya, have been away or i would have replied earlier.

but where to start... i find golf to be a nepotistic and socially exclusive sport and it is this that forms my objection to the game.

a golf course takes up an extremely large area of green space for its purposes, supposedly this space is free for all to use. i would like to picnic on a golf course because it is my right to do so and your comment on this only serves to point out how exclusive golf can be.

i do not object to football/rugby pitches because these tend to use a defined area within a green space that everyone CAN use.

i think your point about "depriving local children" is a bit strange considering the fact that you would deprive them of an education ("If I was to choose between a golf course or a new Portobello High School, I certainly know what I would vote for") an odd priority if you ask me but perhaps you think all children should recieve their education on a golf course.

i think there are plenty of places for children and adults to take the fresh air in porty, surely you don't have to be playing a game of golf to enjoy it? and, lets be honest, golf is hardly the best exercise a body can get, is it now?

finally, i do not know any professional golfers but i do know plenty of rubbish ones and i don't think any of them would describe golf as a "minority sport". we live in scotland - the home of golf. it is very well funded and provided for unlike a proper minority sport like skateboarding...[/u][/i]
sample808

Re: golf

Postby Mate of Marya » 18 Jun 2006, 19:32

Mate of Marya

Postby wangi » 18 Jun 2006, 20:26

wangi
[admin]

Postby Mate of Marya » 18 Jun 2006, 21:27

Mate of Marya

save our golf course

Postby sample808 » 20 Jun 2006, 16:51

sample808

Re: save our golf course

Postby Mate of Marya » 20 Jun 2006, 20:31

Mate of Marya

golf

Postby sample808 » 21 Jun 2006, 13:59

i agree that there should be a provision for a range of sporting activities, golf included, but the subject of this thread was about saving the existing golf course and i made a point about the PFANS proposal which calls for a new and improved public golf course.

i do not agree with this part of the proposal, not because i dislike golf as a sport (although i obviously do), but because i believe that a new golf course will use green space that we cannot afford to lose as a community. all for the sake of a "minority sport" which is already well provided for.

if your motives are to provide facilities for minority sports then there are plenty of others that would benefit greatly from the use of this space. all of the ones that i can think of would also leave plenty of space for other members of the community to use freely, without the fear of being killed by a little white ball...
sample808

Return to Portobello Matters