Community Council Elections

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Community Council Elections

Postby Bob Jefferson » 13 Apr 2006, 18:38

Do a little, change a lot - join your Community Council.

Nomination papers are now available in the library for the forthcoming elections. In recent years, there has been no need for an election since the number of candidates has not exceeded the number of places available. This year, I hope and expect that an election will take place.

You need to be over 18, living in the area and on the electoral roll. Nominations are welcome from individuals and local interest groups. Portobello CC meets 10 times a year on the last Monday of each month.

Deadline for nominations is 25 April.

Nomination Form

more info
Last edited by Bob Jefferson on 02 May 2006, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Jefferson

Re: Community Council Elections

Postby PortyMan » 17 Apr 2006, 15:35

Bob Jefferson wrote:Do a little, change a lot - join your Community Council.

You need to be over 18, living in the area and on the electoral roll.

What, exactly (or even, roughly), is 'the area'?
PortyMan

Postby PortyMan » 23 Apr 2006, 19:37

Does anyone know? Is it 'Portobello' ward only, or do Duddingston, Bingham, Magdalene, Joppa, etc count? Only two days to go...
PortyMan

Postby Maria » 25 Apr 2006, 16:56

Well, did everyone get their nomination forms in safely?

If we have elections will we have hustings? Could Portobelly Telly let all those standing for election make their own wee party political broadcasts? How much will Bob spend on cosmetics and his personal hairdresser? :wink:
Maria

Postby Stephen McIntyre » 25 Apr 2006, 17:59

I want a star trek outfit. :D
Stephen McIntyre

Postby Bob Jefferson » 25 Apr 2006, 18:30

Well the deadline for nominations has passed. I have just come from the Library where the count has taken place. You will recall that under the new boundary changes we are entitled to 15 places for elected members and 15 places for local interest groups. If the number of nominations for elected members exceeds 15 then an election will take place. I can't remember what the procedure is for groups in this event.

I can now exclusively reveal.....

that Joyce Cambell, the Returning Officer, will make an official announcement here on this thread tomorrow afternoon. :wink:
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 25 Apr 2006, 19:46

There was a hairy moment about 6.30pm when it was discovered that I, the proposer and seconder of two prominent candidates, did not appear to be on the electoral roll :shock:

By 6.50 she'd found me - thank goodness - I do exist :lol:
Enough of your nonsense - get back to the Play Pen!
Epykat

Postby Maria » 26 Apr 2006, 18:18

Bob Jefferson wrote: Joyce Cambell, the Returning Officer, will make an official announcement here on this thread tomorrow afternoon. :wink:

:?:
Maria

Postby ali » 28 Apr 2006, 15:02

Bob Jefferson wrote:

that Joyce Cambell, the Returning Officer, will make an official announcement here on this thread tomorrow afternoon. :wink:

Hullo??

Is anybody there???
ali

Postby Bob Jefferson » 28 Apr 2006, 16:55

Apologies from the RO, who is currently snowed under with work. On her behalf, I am authorised to tell you the following:

There were 15 valid nominations for elected members, so no election is required. There were 14 nominations from local interest groups.

Elected Members:

Celia Butterworth
Dawson Currie
Alix Gaffney
Robert Gatliff
Stephen Hawkins
Bob Jefferson
Stephen McIntyre
Nora McKenzie
Avril Scott
John Smart
Alex Smith
Tom Smith
Nick Stroud
William Wilson
Betty Young

Local Groups (with reps where known)

Portobello Community Centre, Amnesty International, Labour Party, PFANS (Jackie Brock), PCATS (Diana Cairns), Portobello Online (Maria Devoy), 143 Squadron Air Training Corps, Citizens Advice Bureau (Kathleen Hart), PPAG (Karen McLean), Portobello Reporter (Brenda Molony), History Society (Margaret Munro), Brightons Residents Association (Tom Nimmo), Traders Association (Sheila Scott), Portobello Amenity Society (John Stewart)

Apologies for any typos. Lots of names you will recognise I'm sure and one or two new faces as well.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 28 Apr 2006, 17:15

One or two established members are missing from the new line-up. I'd like to pay tribute to one in particular, who has very gallantly withdrawn her nomination to avoid the need for an election. Margaret Smith is well known around Portobello and has served the community in many roles for a lot longer than I have been around these parts.

I'm not going to say we will miss her because I know that she still fully intends to come along to the meetings to keep an eye on Tom and to have her say. Besides, she isn't allowed to leave because she makes the sandwiches.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 28 Apr 2006, 21:29

That is a shame. I'm sure she'll just sit quietly in the corner instead :wink:
Epykat

Intension's

Postby Libby » 04 May 2006, 00:40

Was this a preferred list :wink: :wink: kept to 15 so as there would be no need for an election, if so it doesn't look good does it. Looks like a wee Cleek. :oops: :oops:
All good things comes to those who wait
Libby

Re: Intension's

Postby Sandra » 04 May 2006, 09:33

Libby wrote:Was this a preferred list :wink: :wink: kept to 15 so as there would be no need for an election, if so it doesn't look good does it. Looks like a wee Cleek. :oops: :oops:

definitely very cliquey! :lol: :wink:
Sandra

Re: Intension's

Postby Epykat » 04 May 2006, 22:08

Libby wrote:Was this a preferred list :wink: :wink: kept to 15 so as there would be no need for an election, if so it doesn't look good does it. Looks like a wee Cleek. :oops: :oops:

I don't know where you get that impression Libby. Anybody who is eligible is free to put themselves forward for election - or to withdraw if they want to as Margaret did. There really is no 'clique'. If there really was a clique do you think Porty would have been let in? :wink:
Epykat

Postby Bob Jefferson » 04 May 2006, 22:24

Well, she would say that Libby because she is part of the clique.

Don't trust anyone. Especially me.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Sandra » 04 May 2006, 22:26

Bob Jefferson wrote:Well, she would say that Libby because she is part of the clique.

You're the one we all trust :)
Sandra

Postby Bob Jefferson » 04 May 2006, 22:31

If only I could trust myself.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 04 May 2006, 22:40

Bob Jefferson wrote:Well, she would say that Libby because she is part of the clique.

You were told at the secret clique meeting not to say that :roll: . You'll be showing people where you keep your secret bugging device next.
Epykat

Postby Libby » 05 May 2006, 02:03

Bob Jefferson wrote

withdrawn her nomination to avoid the need for an election.

Yes you can make your wee funny jokes about it, come to think of it, if Margret hadn't withdrawn her Nomination does that mean possibly one of the clique might not have been elected :?: perhaps upsetting a few people

In my opinion people are being denied the chance for to vote who they really want

Yes i will say it again a "preferred list"

Bye the way whose house did we sit and have Tea and Biscuit's while it was being discussed Margret would withdraw her Nominations. :wink: :wink:
Libby

Postby Bob Jefferson » 05 May 2006, 08:49

Libby, how can I convince you that there is no conspiracy? Although there has not been sufficient interest in recent years to make an election necessary a large number of nominations was expected this time round. In the event, disappointingly, there were only 17 nominations for elected members. One of these was judged to be invalid by the Returning Officer. That left 16 nominations for 15 places. We can try to persuade people to stand for election but we can't make them.

I don't know exactly what is involved in organising a Community Council election but is it really worth the hassle in a situation where you are electing 15 members from a pool of 16? Margaret had already decided that in these circumstances she would stand down, having served the Community Council with distinction for a number of years, to avoid this situation. Her actions were typically selfless and commendably pragmatic.

New members are the lifeblood of any organisation and I'm pleased to see that there are now several new faces. There is no clique and no preferred list. Everyone living within the Portobello area had the opportunity to stand for election and if one or two more people had done so then we would have had the election that I, for one, hoped and expected to take place.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Izzie » 05 May 2006, 16:08

Seems to me there is a lot off sour grapes here

Why did Libby not apply?? :? :?
Izzie

Postby Stephen McIntyre » 05 May 2006, 16:32

Libby wrote:
Bye the way whose house did we sit and have Tea and Biscuit's while it was being discussed Margret would withdraw her Nominations. :wink: :wink:

Fruitcake would have been more appropriate. :D
Stephen McIntyre

For the attention off

Postby Libby » 06 May 2006, 00:39

EH hello Izzie, just falling short of the Boundaries i am considered not residing in the area, if i had be assured, i would have stood.

Bob you say you don't know what is involved in organising a community council election, i have noticed that you are standing, may i make a suggestion that perhaps you could take the time to find out what is involved and if indeed it is worth the hastle. :?:

Stephen did you not comment that you thought there was a witch hunt and Bob was the Witch.

With you, the Devil springs to mind. :twisted:

Your comments are noted.
Libby

Postby Izzie » 06 May 2006, 08:38

Libby,have you stood for your own C.C. and if so are they going for an election. :?: :?:
Izzie

Postby Epykat » 06 May 2006, 10:23

Libby wrote:Yes you can make your wee funny jokes about it, come to think of it, if Margret hadn't withdrawn her Nomination does that mean possibly one of the clique might not have been elected :?: perhaps upsetting a few people

I'd be interested to know who you think is in the clique? Could you maybe name them for us?

Libby wrote:In my opinion people are being denied the chance for to vote who they really want

Yes i will say it again a "preferred list"

Judging by that statement I'm obviously NOT in the clique because I didn't get any tea or biscuits from anybody :cry: . Being a relative newcomer to the CC I can assure you that Prime Minister's question time it aint! If you are so upset about not being able to spend two hours a month discussing dogs dirt and manic jet skiers then maybe you should take up a hobby of some sort to pass the time :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Epykat

Answers

Postby Libby » 07 May 2006, 17:19

Firs of all are you complaining that you have to sit round the round table and discuss the subject of dogs dirt and manic jet skiers ? is this not what it is all about i don't need to take up a hobby i work and i also give a lot of my time as a volunteer, the reason ? to make my community a better place for my children and myself to live.

Izzie you are curious i will give you that and i also appreciate that, i was not on the CC but have attended the meetings in my area for the last 7 months. When members of the public have also attended and asked for help in getting things sorted out, not certainly jet skies as i don't live near water, they have always been told, "we are working on it" or "it is being looked at", well i am sorry i am one of people who are not prepared to sit and wait for an answer like that.

I have been able to sort quite a few things that were asked of the CC and i have gone to them and said "Look this is not being dealt with or looked at, it has actually been fixed" can you give me an explanation as to why you could not get it sorted ?

There reply "Speechless"

That is why this year i decide to stand for the CC and to make sure it was not the same people that have represented the area for the last three years i was able to force an election.

Hope this answers you questions
Libby

Postby Izzie » 07 May 2006, 18:21

Sorry Libby but I do have to ask you what kind off things did you sort that the CC did not and how many people are up for election.

You have got me even more curious :roll:
Izzie

Postby Izzie » 07 May 2006, 21:56

What about the local youths do they not have a rep :?:
Izzie

Re: For the attention off

Postby Porty » 07 May 2006, 22:08

Libby wrote:
Stephen did you not comment that you thought there was a witch hunt and Bob was the Witch.

Yes I did.
Libby wrote:With you, the Devil springs to mind. :twisted:
The devil's in the detail.
Porty

Postby Maria » 08 May 2006, 08:09

Jamesie wrote:
Bob Jefferson wrote:Local Groups (with reps where known)

Portobello Community Centre, Amnesty International, Labour Party, PFANS (Jackie Brock), PCATS (Diana Cairns), Portobello Online (Maria Devoy), 143 Squadron Air Training Corps, Citizens Advice Bureau (Kathleen Hart), PPAG (Karen McLean), Portobello Reporter (Brenda Molony), History Society (Margaret Munro), Brightons Residents Association (Tom Nimmo), Traders Association (Sheila Scott), Portobello Amenity Society (John Stewart)

Having once been the Porty High rep on the Community Council I'm disappointed to note there does not appear to be any representation nowadays - anyone know the reason for this?

Avril Scott was the High School Rep until she stepped down recently Jamesie. She is now a Community Councillor in her own right. At the last meeting, a member of the High School Senior Management Team came forward to represent the school. Looks like it's a simple case of forgetting/not knowing to put in an application form for the High School to be a represented group. They can still be co-opted I would think.
Last edited by Maria on 08 May 2006, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 08 May 2006, 08:37

Aileen Ward, I seem to recall. As there are still two spaces left for local interest groups it shouldn't be a problem signing her up and of course she is welcome to bring along pupil reps anytime. I believe there has been some talk recently of having younger people officially represented on community councils but I'm not sure where we are with that yet.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Stephen McIntyre » 08 May 2006, 10:31

Bob Jefferson wrote:Aileen Ward, I seem to recall. As there are still two spaces left for local interest groups it shouldn't be a problem signing her up and of course she is welcome to bring along pupil reps anytime.

So one can bring one's own clique along if one so desires?
Stephen McIntyre

Postby Izzie » 08 May 2006, 15:22

What about one off the air cadets since they seem to be a new group.

New blood and all that,could they not bring one off the youths from there?? :lol: :lol:
Izzie

Postby Epykat » 09 May 2006, 19:55

Stephen McIntyre wrote:
Bob Jefferson wrote:Aileen Ward, I seem to recall. As there are still two spaces left for local interest groups it shouldn't be a problem signing her up and of course she is welcome to bring along pupil reps anytime.

So one can bring one's own clique along if one so desires?

Obviously, if you're not a member of an already formed clique (like we are) then you are free to form your own, totally separate clique. This would of course necessitate the purchase and consumption of biscuits and tea - at a home of your choice.

The more I think about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that, were I actually in a clique, it wouldn't be with my alleged cliqueees, but a more upmarket clique altogether :wink: Am I free to change cliques if I so wish?
Epykat

Next

Return to Portobello Matters