[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Cycling on the Promenade

Cycling on the Promenade

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Postby wangi » 05 Oct 2006, 22:17

wangi
[admin]

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 13:41

Time to resurrect that old chestnut in today's EN Letters Page:

I would like to point out that on a number of occasions I have been almost knocked down by cars on Portobello High Street. I demand therefore that all cars are banned. Also, some dogs foul the Promenade so I want them banned as well.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 12 May 2007, 17:57

And I would like to point out that I use the Prom nearly every day and I can confirm that instances of irresponsible cycling are on the increase despite the no cycling signs on nearly every lamppost. If cars ignored 'no cars' signs, Bob, I'm sure you be one the first to start complaining. What's the difference?
Poppy

Postby wangi » 12 May 2007, 19:15

The signs were erected without any consultation, and totally go against what another arm of the council's aiming to do (see http://www.edinburghcorepaths.org/). Additionally there are still plenty of other signs which give the impression that cycling is ok on the Prom (which to be specific it is on half of it).

The council should be wholeheartedly promoting cycling, including cycling on Portobello Promenade. Especially with all the local road works and the state of Portobello High Street - this "car park" is very dangerous for cycling along (especially the narrow section East of the crossroads).

As someone who cycles daily along the Prom I acknowledge that there are irresponsible cyclists - please challenge them, as I do. (and likewise cut any of those bloody extendible dog leads on sight)
wangi
[admin]

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 19:25

Poppy, I'm just trying to put the issue into perspective. Thousands of pedestrians are killed each year by car drivers. How many are killed, or even injured, through being struck by cyclists?

I'm not disputing the fact that there is a problem with irresponsible cycling on the Promenade. However, I do not support a blanket ban on cycling. Generations of kids have learned to cycle on the Prom, including my own, and responsible cycling is something we should be encouraging for all sorts of reasons.

The current situation is ridiculous. There is obviously no will on the part of the police to enforce the ban yet responsible cyclists are made to feel like criminals. I would like to see the 'No Cycling' signs replaced with signs that say 'Responsible cyclists welcome'.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 12 May 2007, 19:49

I'm not saying cyclists should be banned from the Prom, but there irresponsible ones do present a danger of injury and I understand the fears that the writer of that letter has. She is entitled to her opinion, surely? Anyway, Bob, I thought from a previous post of yours that at least one of your children took her first solo ride in Brighton Park?!

And you try speaking to a cycllist speeding along the Prom, head down, often with iPod plugged in! I'm afraid I cannot run that fast!!
Poppy

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 20:11

Of course she is entitled to her opinion. This is a question that has been debated many times at CC meetings and I think we always come to the same conclusion. Although there are one or two hard-liners who insist that the Promenade should only be for walkers, I think that most people recognise that the problems are caused by a very small percentage of cyclists and that it would be unfair to deny the responsible majority the pleasure of cycling along the Promenade.

That's why I think the 'No Cycling' signs should go. Let's acknowledge that the Prom is a great recreational space for everyone and, as wangi suggests, challenge the relatively small number of anti-social people who cause the problems. And responsible cyling, in my opinion, includes having the sense to dismount when the Prom is particularly busy.

And you are right Poppy, both my kids actually learned to cycle in Brighton Park before I let them loose on the Prom.

Do you agree with my idea for changing the signs?
Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 12 May 2007, 20:48

Poppy

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 21:04

Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 21:10

Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 12 May 2007, 21:23

Poppy

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 21:26

Bob Jefferson

Postby Poppy » 12 May 2007, 21:45

Poppy

Postby Bob Jefferson » 12 May 2007, 21:50

Bob Jefferson

Postby Pal of Porty » 12 May 2007, 22:41

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Epykat » 13 May 2007, 18:07

Epykat

Postby Pal of Porty » 14 May 2007, 17:13

Pal of Porty

Postby paulw » 04 Jul 2007, 10:53

paulw

Postby wangi » 04 Jul 2007, 11:00

Or...

All drivers on the road are a hazard. I have seen collisions between responsible motorists and responsible pedestrians on a few occasions. These things are unavoidable. People walking along the pavement can stop and change direction at any time, particularly when looking after small children or dogs. Motorists may have lapses in concentration and often travel at speed.

When my son is old enough to get out of his pram and use the pavement i don't want to be forced to take positive action against any motorist that puts him in danger.

Yeah?
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 04 Jul 2007, 11:01

BTW, I'm the first to get pissed off with cyclists, and I cycle daily along the prom. This morning I avoided the Prom because of the four cyclists who zoomed past me at the start of it...
wangi
[admin]

Postby paulw » 04 Jul 2007, 11:25

paulw

Postby Pal of Porty » 04 Jul 2007, 13:55

Pal of Porty

Postby seanie » 04 Jul 2007, 17:14

seanie

The Prom

Postby promqueen » 11 Oct 2007, 08:24

Would it not be a good idea to get a designated bike lane painted on the prom? I'm fed up with these silent menaces quickly weaving in and out of pedestrians and dugs - it's not good for the heart ! Am fully supportive of folk using their bikes, but if there was something official, at least we'd know where NOT to walk and the cyclists would know where not to wheech ! :roll:

Admin: merged from
promqueen

Postby Bob Jefferson » 11 Oct 2007, 19:02

The idea of a dedicated cycle lane has been suggested before. Although this works well elsewhere (the Meadows for example) the Prom is slightly different. For one thing, you have lots of young children and dogs who will not understand the significance of the markings. Wherever you place the cycle lane, people will have to traverse it to access the beach. Some cyclists may regard the lane as their territory and be inclined to cycle faster or with less care.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of encouraging responsible cycling on the Prom but I'm not convinced that a cycle lane is the solution. And neither was Spokes the last time this came up.
Bob Jefferson

Re: The Prom

Postby Sandra » 11 Oct 2007, 19:14

Sandra

Postby seanie » 11 Oct 2007, 22:03

seanie

Postby Puerto bella » 11 Oct 2007, 22:35

Puerto bella

Postby wangi » 11 Oct 2007, 22:50

wangi
[admin]

Postby Skeely » 01 Dec 2007, 14:22