[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Proposed Housing Development at Fun Park

Proposed Housing Development at Fun Park

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Proposed Housing Development at Fun Park

Postby Kevin » 11 May 2003, 00:02

We have received notice that there is to be an application made for housing to be built on the Fun Park site.

As neighbours to this site we are opposed to any housing development on this site as we will be subjected to loss of view and the privacy we currently enjoy in our home.

We would appreciate your support in our objection to the proposal.
Kevin.
Kevin

Re: Proposed Housing Development at Fun Park

Postby angigael » 11 May 2003, 08:29

angigael

Postby Gemini » 12 May 2003, 23:06

Gemini

Proposed Building at Fun Park

Postby Susan » 14 May 2003, 14:27

Susan

Fun Park

Postby Susan » 17 May 2003, 22:56

Susan

Postby chris » 03 Jun 2003, 19:16

I might be swimming against the tide here but I'd be delighted if the fun park was demolished. And the arcades. The seaside doesn't have to be tacky.

But that's just my opinion. :)
chris

Fun Park

Postby Susan » 04 Jun 2003, 01:20

Hi Chris,

I don't agree with you about the Fun Park.

I think Portobello seafront needs the commercial activity provided by the arcades and Fun Park.

Many people find these established seaside businesses a complementary activity to a day at the seaside. Drawing visitors to Portobello who circulate and spend in the shops is what makes Portobello a financially viable proposition for the towns business community, without the extra business of the summer months many would not survive the winter months.

I don't know where the word tacky applies to these establishments, they are well run and have had huge financial investment by their private owners.

Susan
Susan

Propesed housing development at fun park.

Postby kevin » 04 Jun 2003, 13:20

:) I agree with Chris and would like to see amusement arcades and fun parks removed from the promenade.
Portobello promenade would be more attractive for visitors and locals alike if it had good toilet facilities and maybe even a decent cafe or visitor centre.
Every time I walk past these arcades your peace and quiet is spoilt by bingo callers or some horrible piped music played onto the prom,and there's always folk hanging about outside dropping litter from their burgers or chips onto the promenade.

Musselburgh promenade doesn't have these tacky facilities and is a good example of what our Porty prom should look like, eg clean,decent seating,nice flower displays etc etc..
I'm sure that businesses on the high street would also benefit from visitors going there if required for refreshments after a stroll on the prom.

kevin.
kevin

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2003, 18:12

Susan may not like the term ‘tacky’ but I think it’s fair to say that most local people regard this end of the Prom as being rather ‘downmarket’. The burgers, bingo and booze formula is undeniably still one that attracts a certain clientele but other than making a profit for the owners of these establishments I’m not convinced that there is much there of value to the wider community and I don’t think many people will shed a tear when the bulldozers move in. It always depresses me to see people wasting their money in slot machines and as a parent I worry about the type of person who hangs around in these places. Of course we want to celebrate and capitalize on our seaside heritage but there are some bits that are long past their sell by date and are probably best left in the past. The ‘Golden Days’ of Portobello as a seaside resort are a distant memory and we now have to address the challenge of how we re-invent ourselves, but since I am now straying off-topic (and risking another rebuke from Chris) I’ll resume this on a new thread.

Postby chris » 04 Jun 2003, 18:17

chris

Fun Park.

Postby Susan » 05 Jun 2003, 01:05

Susan

Postby Kirstielove » 05 Jun 2003, 16:50

Kirstielove

Postby chris » 08 Jun 2003, 21:45

chris

Fun Park

Postby Susan » 10 Jun 2003, 17:50

Susan

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2003, 21:19

Postby bert » 10 Jun 2003, 23:09

bert

Amusements

Postby Cairns » 12 Jun 2003, 22:27

If you don't like them don't go in, I don't see bouncers dragging passers by in.
My children would rather spend there £1 on 2p machines lasting up to an hour and enjoying family time, instead of a can of juice and a packet of sweets hanging about the street.
After a 20 min walk its nice to wander in and enjoy the atsmosphere, making for a pleasant afternoon outing.
The prom has a lot to offer to diferent tastes lets keep it that way.
Cairns

More development planned for Prom green space.

Postby Emma » 28 Nov 2003, 16:17

Emma

Postby Guest » 01 Dec 2003, 17:51

Postby gillsmith » 01 Dec 2003, 22:41

gillsmith

Postby fresian » 12 Sep 2012, 13:16

What sort of flats are they proposing. Hopefully not tenements. otherwise Diana Cairns will set herself up as spokesperson for Portobello Against New Tenements (PANTS), now that she has some spare time on your hands.
fresian

Postby magbagpuss » 12 Sep 2012, 19:56

I thought tenements were flats ?
magbagpuss

Postby fresian » 13 Sep 2012, 09:51

Magbagpuss, they are, however PANFS doesn't have the same ring to it. You know how DC likes to have an acronym for all her little protest groups.
fresian

Return to Portobello Matters