Big Things on the Beach - Blue Moon Event

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Postby mr magnolia » 25 Aug 2004, 10:05

Bob wrote:By far the most interesting pic of the pink things yet IMO.

Renny has just emailed me the following message:

Big Things on the Beach - Luminous Event at Joppa

Full Moon Illuminations on the midnight tide .

The tidal artwork at Joppa by Renny Nisbet will be 'lit up' and afloat with the tide at midnight.

BYO - - - refreshments, woollies, bonfire, music - - -

Open House on the Beach

Saturday evening, 10pm - 3am, Sept 28 - on the Beach at Joppa.

I really don't think I could stay awake until 3am, but a few drinks until closing time and then a stagger along the Prom around midnight might be just about possible. Anyone interested in joining me in this artoholic venture?

Sept 28? We cant wait that long - make it this Saturday instead!
mr magnolia

Postby wangi » 25 Aug 2004, 10:15

Bob, or Renny, done a typo - it is Aug 28th - this Saturday.

And I think we can say the "open house" will not be Wangi's house! ;)
wangi
[admin]

Postby Jay » 25 Aug 2004, 10:52

dee, ay, em, en, exclamation mark. I'll be away this weekend ...........
Jay

'Jay - a noisy chattering European bird of brilliant plumage' OED
Jay

Postby wangi » 29 Aug 2004, 00:04

wangi
[admin]

Postby Hell's Cat » 12 Sep 2004, 17:33

Boats and big pink things all in one shot! Incidently, while I was taking the pics 2 different people asked me what the pink floating things were. Why is there not some information posted about the "art" either on the prom or at the pumping station? Seems a bit of a waste not to tell people what it's supposed to be, one person thought it was fishing lines :roll:
[img]http://www.visionsofscotland.co.uk/PersonalImages\bigthings.jpg[/img]
Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find, that money cannot be eaten.
Hell's Cat

Lack of Signage!

Postby Big Thing » 12 Sep 2004, 17:50

Hell's Cat wrote:... Why is there not some information posted about the "art" either on the prom or at the pumping station? Seems a bit of a waste not to tell people what it's supposed to be, one person thought it was fishing lines :roll:
[img]http://www.visionsofscotland.co.uk/PersonalImages\bigthings.jpg[/img]

There was a sign board by the pumping station but some visitors to the site have felt compelled (on a few occasions) to 'liberate' it and either toss it into the sea or similar. It's been rehabilitated a couple of times but on the latest occasion it finally got free - sorry.
Big Thing

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2004, 20:04

I've been asked to post the following message on behalf of a friend:

Thanks are due to Big Things on the Beach for the original idea for Portobello, the subsequent organizing and for having the foresight to promote a completely new and experimental installation.

The result was adventurous, eye-drawing and conversation-provoking - which is what we require in a caring community.

Many agencies were involved in the Tidal Artwork. Click on to the list of contributors to get an idea of the amount of planning and discussion needed.

Long hours of extremely hard physical work were devoted by the artist and helpers.

This was a learning process for BTOTB and we in Portobello look foward to further imaginative works from artists.

The brightness at Joppa Rocks was cheering in all weathers and will be missed.

Big Things on the Beach

Postby Brenda » 13 Sep 2004, 20:18

:?: What is that art installation at Joppa? I hear you all cry! If you've received your copy of the Portobello Reporter you'll see an explanation on the front page- straight from the artist's mouth. I agree, though, that some explanation would have helped a lot more people appreciate what the artist was trying to do.

For those who haven't seen the Reporter, this is what it said:
The installation, by Portobello-born artist Renny Nisbet, is an experimental tidal artwork consisting of 37 pink buoys, anchored to the seabed. The work was installed in phases through August and, as we went to press, work was underway to produce a tide-activated lunar calendar. Water at high tide will displace air from a tank on the foreshore to inflate specific sequences of buoys reflecting the changing phases of the moon. However far the work develops, the installation has provided an attractive feature, which should remain in place until the end of September. (For further information see www.bigthingsonthebeach.org.uk
Brenda

Re: Big Things on the Beach

Postby wangi » 13 Sep 2004, 21:05

Brenda wrote::?: What is that art installation at Joppa? I hear you all cry!

I often do, when i'm in the garden!
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 19 Sep 2004, 12:35

All gone now... A totally different view from the window now!

http://www.pbase.com/wangi/btotb
wangi
[admin]

Previous

Return to Portobello Matters