[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Rat-running and large vehicles (Bath St, Straiton Pl etc)

Rat-running and large vehicles (Bath St, Straiton Pl etc)

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Re: Rat-running and large vehicles (Bath St, Straiton Pl etc

Postby Bob Jefferson » 16 Jun 2011, 13:20

Our goal should be to discourage through-traffic on Portobello High Street. You don't do that by speeding up vehicle progress at the expense of convenience and safety to pedestrians.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Makaveli » 16 Jun 2011, 15:29

Surely more through traffic means more potential customers on our failing High Street non?
Makaveli

Postby wangi » 16 Jun 2011, 15:41

wangi
[admin]

Postby Bob Jefferson » 16 Jun 2011, 16:01

Improve the traffic flow (to the likely detriment of pedestrians) and you simply invite more traffic. Conversely, if removing the rat runs brings traffic to a standstill on the High Street, then drivers will start to avoid it.
Bob Jefferson

Postby seanie » 16 Jun 2011, 16:13

Improve the traffic flow and more people will chose it as a route, leading to the same congestion as before.
seanie

Postby Pal of Porty » 16 Jun 2011, 16:22

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Bob Jefferson » 17 Jun 2011, 09:37

What you describe is perfectly possible and it might improve traffic flow but that in itself is likely to generate more traffic. But the cost of that is inconvenience to pedestrians using the Town Hall crossing during peak times. A 40 second delay seems like a long time when you are used to a much quicker response time and I would be concerned that some pedestrians might become impatient and not wait for the pedestrian phase. It's a question of balance. Do the possible advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Perhaps a trial is required? I have requested some info from the relevant section in the Council as to how such a scheme might work and will publish their response.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 17 Jun 2011, 09:50

I think the sesquence of lights going along the High Street at the top of Bath Street is at green for far too long compared to the time at green going from Brighton Place to Bath Street. People, especially teenagers, get frustrated having to wait so long to cross and take chances all the time. I also totally agree with POP about the Milton Link lights and the Kings Road Roundabout. I'm sure I must waste an hour a week just sitting at the lights!
Epykat

Postby Bob Jefferson » 17 Jun 2011, 10:18

Bob Jefferson

Postby Makaveli » 17 Jun 2011, 10:47

Good work there Bob. Will be good if a trial can be set up as I am convinced a more free flowing section on the High Street will benefit both drivers and pedestrians.
Makaveli

Postby Grunk » 17 Jun 2011, 13:04

Grunk

Postby Bob Jefferson » 17 Jun 2011, 14:00

Yes, that seems to be how it would work. But, as I understand it, it does rely on someone crossing at the main junction. If no-one presses the button then the pedestrian phase is bypassed and any synched crossing wouldn't have a window. Until recently, I believe it was policy not to sync crossings in this manner but in certain circumstances it is now regarded as an option. The bottom line is that there are just too many cars on the road and, until that is addressed, tinkering around the edges will make very little difference. And above all, let's make sure that we prioritise the safety of pedestrians, particularly the most vulnerable like PoP.
Bob Jefferson

Postby SoupDragon » 17 Jun 2011, 20:23

I'm wondering how easy it will be to get out into the High St from the area if a one way system is introduced,
at present we try to drive up Bath St as there is better chance of getting out due to the traffic lights.
But I do feel a one way system is long overdue

Wonder if the speed limit will be made a uniform 20mph instead of the 20mph going West on Straiton Place and 30mph going East, not that a lot of rat runners obey the 20mph
SoupDragon

Postby Bob Jefferson » 17 Jun 2011, 20:43

What? It's 20 mph going west and 30 mph going east? On the same stretch of road? That can't be right! Think you could be right though about the problem with an increase in traffic turning right from Bellfield Street into the High Street. Would probably require lights.
Bob Jefferson

Postby SoupDragon » 17 Jun 2011, 22:52

Sure I've mentioned the confilcting signs before
Been like that for years
I did try phoning the council once but got bounced from dept to dept, I was also asking about all the grey poles with no signs on them at all ( example just outside no 9 )

on the corner of Regent St and Straiton Place - looking West

other side of same sign - looking East

but coming into the area via Bath St, Regent St Bellfield St, Marlborough St the signage is for 20mph, which were put up when they put the speed bumps in, the signage in the photos predate them all I think
and the grey metal poles were put up one Sunday but no one ever came and put any signs on most of them , some did get No Parking eventually
SoupDragon

Postby seanie » 17 Jun 2011, 23:36

Maybe I'm missing something but how do the pictured signs conflict?
seanie

Postby Makaveli » 18 Jun 2011, 05:22

The empty poles maybe for 20mph repeater signs that would be required to enforce a 20mph speed limit - I cannot see the pics from SoupDragons post (my IT seems to have blocked the pics) so cannot tell what type of 20mph sign is already in place.
Makaveli

Postby Bob Jefferson » 18 Jun 2011, 07:13

There is no conflict that I can see. Straiton Place is 20 mph between Bath Street and Regent Street and 30 mph between Regent Street and Bellfield Street, regardless of the direction of travel.
Bob Jefferson

Postby SoupDragon » 18 Jun 2011, 10:39

No there is a conflict
Bellfield St, Regent St, Marlborough St and Straiton Place are all in the 20mph zone
The speed limit signs are posted at the top end of the streets near the High St

So if you come in via Bellfield St its 20mph , still 20mph into Straiton Place and 20mph into Bath st
Revese that journey its 20mph down Bath St then 30mph posted just before Regent St

So travelling up Marlborough St, Regent St, Bellfield St toward the High St and along Straiton Place eastward, you can say its 30mph if you passed that sign

If you came down Regent St turned along Straiton Place then up Bellfield St its 20mph as you wont have passed the 30mph sign
SoupDragon

Postby Bob Jefferson » 18 Jun 2011, 11:10

I stand corrected. In that case, we need to get rid of both of the signs as one is not required and the other is clearly wrong.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Grunk » 20 Jun 2011, 12:40

Grunk

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Jun 2011, 13:57

Think the issue with coinciding the Town Hall pedestrian phase with the green light for Brighton Place/Bath Street might be vehicles turning left out of BP backing up and blocking the box junction but worth considering.

Re the erroneous signage at Regent Street, Council is aware and looking into it so hopefully will be resolved soon.
Bob Jefferson

Postby SoupDragon » 16 Nov 2011, 13:12

The rat running is as bad as ever, I know a certain percentage are dropping kids off at nursery or parking in Straiton Place to walk to Towerbank but the majority seem to be rushing along as fast as they can, down Bellfield St, along Straiton Place and up Bath Street.
And we've still got the conflicting speed signage
SoupDragon

Postby Puerto bella » 16 Nov 2011, 19:52

Next traffic consultation event will be mid Dec - 14th has been talked of. Make sure you look out for it and tell people to go along.
Puerto bella

Postby Bob Jefferson » 16 Nov 2011, 20:32

Bob Jefferson

Postby Puerto bella » 16 Nov 2011, 20:35

That's nothing....I've got an emails dating back to 2004 with a certain lady councillor....
Puerto bella

Postby Makaveli » 17 Nov 2011, 09:52

I was just sat at the junction on the Hight Street just now and you get 7 cars through and they then get stopped at the pedestrian crossing at the Town Hall meaning nothing is moving. I can't imagine how much pollution is being put into the air on the High Street due to cars not moving.

You know the quickest and easiest way of stopping the rat running? Get rid of the pointless pedestrian crossing outside the Town Hall.

I brought this up before and was shouted down because people can't walk a few extra yards to cross at the lights but I stand by my comments that you could solve a lot of traffic problems by either getting rid of these lights or by synchronising them. Until this is done I am afraid that people will use the side streets to get along to the junction quicker.
Makaveli

Postby SoupDragon » 17 Nov 2011, 11:20

Bob, I'm not surprised in the least
I had mentioned it to the cooncil myself, years ago, got bounced around from dept to dept no one seemd to be interested, same with the grey poles, they're still there signless
SoupDragon

Postby rmolehusband » 17 Nov 2011, 12:05

rmolehusband

Postby Makaveli » 17 Nov 2011, 12:22

OK maybe not shouted down :oops:

But how would you make the rat run less appealing?

People don't like being stationary in traffic and even if you reduce the speed limits on the rat runs it will not be a big enough deterant. You would need to block off routes and as you said this is not fair on local residents.

As for attracting more traffic if the pedestrian crossing was removed or brought in line with the junction light sequence I don't think that would be the case as where is the extra traffic coming from? I doubt anyone who uses Sir Harry Lauder would then change and come down into Porty as that wouldn't make any sense.

The only solution to the blocked High Street is sorting those pedestrian lights - either by removal or by changing the sequence.
Makaveli

Postby wangi » 17 Nov 2011, 12:38

wangi
[admin]

Postby Mark Cameron » 17 Nov 2011, 13:30

Agree with Wangi but could this even be implemented only during peak times with appropriate penalties for cars caught contravening this?

Also what often strikes me as being a cause of conjestion on teh high street is that the vehicles parked on both sides of the street (on the block stretching from Boots towards Joppa) cause the bottleneck. When you get two large vehicles (bus/lorry) at that point an immediate tailback is created as they try to navigate the tight space.

Has any of the discussion about congestion ever discussed double yellows on one side of that stretch? Honestly think that plus a one way system on Straiton at peak times would make a big difference with hopefully small consequence to residents.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Grunk » 17 Nov 2011, 13:41

The first thing that needs to be done is to ensure that all the junctions are working at maximum efficiency. To do this the bottlenecks need to be identified and the timing adjusted to suit.

The simplest way to identify a bottleneck is to see where a queue of backed up traffic starts from. As can be seen on most days the queue starts at the pedestrian crossing, it is clear after that. This means that too many cars are coming in vs the amount of cars going out. The fix would be to phase the pedestrian crossing during rush hour.

Other blockages include bus stops and T-junctions. Where vehicles stopped block traffic. A solution would be to put (enforced) double yellow lines opposite these, ensuring that even when a vehicle is stopped, there is space for traffic to flow.
WRT bus stops, having them just before a junction isn't great. The bus can only move up to the stop when the lights are green, it then stops at the junction blocking traffic through the green phase. It then moves off during the red phase, so an entire phase has been missed.

After that, you can look into making streets one way, as doing that doesn't remove the blockage, so traffic backs up even further making other rat runs more appealing (e.g. windsor place, st. marks place).

I guess the broader point is why are so many people choosing the Portobello route rather than the Portobello bypass (HLR), the town centre traffic cannot simply be residents only can it? Although I've not checked recently I imagine there is probably an issue at the milton road junction and the new kings road junction (which seems to have had massive holes in it for ages).
Grunk

Postby rmolehusband » 17 Nov 2011, 13:46

rmolehusband

Postby Bob Jefferson » 17 Nov 2011, 14:01

As a resident of Rosefield, I can tell you that I was delighted when they closed off Rosefield Ave. Prior to that we had a lot more traffic racing through the area at dangerous speeds. Now it's mainly local residents as it is one big cul de sac. Pedestrian safety has to be paramount in any proposal. Inconvenience to motorists is way down the list.
Bob Jefferson

PreviousNext

Return to Portobello Matters