[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Rosefield Park improvements

Rosefield Park improvements

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Re: Rosefield Park improvements

Postby Porty » 15 Mar 2012, 20:14

Great news and another victory over the objection squad. Right on their doorstep too
Well done to the Towerbank kids and to the coup

le of dozen cash brokers customers who completed questionnaires.
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby Mark Cameron » 15 Mar 2012, 21:04

It really is great news and just proves that with a bit of communication the wider community will engage and positive outcomes can be achieved.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Mar 2012, 23:09

Yeah, well done everyone. Like mcdryburn says, with this and things like the Annie and Belle petition, ordinary people are proving that, with a little effort and co-ordination, we can make things happen in this town.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Mark Cameron » 15 Mar 2012, 23:39

Right what's next ;-)

How about we petition the council to get them to spend money (not a lot) to paint some markers at equal intervals on the prom wall, put up some signs at the start and end of this new running course. Add in a few outdoor exercise stations along the way (see examples in the link below) and you've got something that would bring health benefits and add another string to the Porty bow.

http://www.fittrail.com/20station.html

Just a thought and not something that would cost the earth.

Add some colourful beach huts that can be hired out and a big wheel at the seafield end, give the playparks a much needed upgrade and we start to look like a place people will come, bring their kids and spend time (and spend money). That then draws in the new businesses and the upward spiral begins.

As you might have gathered I'm one of life's dreamers.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Mar 2012, 23:51

I think I can see an admin split topic coming up here. A marked distance along the Prom is an idea I put a fair bit of work into a few years back and it certainly had lots of support.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Mark Cameron » 16 Mar 2012, 00:00

what were the blockers Bob? Oh....and Wangi feel free to split.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Bob Jefferson » 16 Mar 2012, 00:17

Probably the fact that I was trying to make it happen single-handedly and juggling it with several other projects at the same time. I still have an email folder with messages of support from various stakeholder groups and looking back I can see that there was an invitation that I never took up to meet up with James Hunter and the Roads Manager to discuss the idea further. I'm sure the idea could easily be resurrected if you want to champion it?
Bob Jefferson

Postby Franck » 28 May 2012, 12:14

As I type this I feel like I'm listening to my dad :oops:

Over the past week and the nice weather, Rosefield Park seems to have become the place for teenagers to meet of an evening, which I have no problem with at all.I do however, have a major issue with the state they are leaving the place in, it's disgraceful.
Ask them to put their rubbish in the bin and the response makes it difficult for me to refrain myself.The amount of broken glass I pick up each morning is out of order.
Since the railings have been removed, the contact details for the east team have also gone...anyone got them to hand?

Roll on the feckin rain and cold if that's what we have to put up with.
Franck

Postby Makaveli » 28 May 2012, 12:26

Franck if you are on twitter you can reach them at @east_team
Makaveli

Postby SoupDragon » 28 May 2012, 17:47

There's a coincidence, one of my neighbours was telling me this morning about having words with teenagers breaking bottles in Rosefield Park this weekend..
I thought there was cctv up there
SoupDragon

Postby Bob Jefferson » 28 May 2012, 17:59

There is and, contrary to rumour, it works and is monitored but by the time that they are being anti-social enough to merit police attendance, particularly on a busy weekend, and it's given a grade 3 (at best) or grade 4 (more likely) rating etc etc. You can expect things to get worse. The police budget is being slashed and cops who should be on the street are back-filling the support staff posts that have had to be axed to make the savings. Remember the TV drama, 'Life on Mars'? That's where we're heading.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Franck » 18 Sep 2012, 11:49

I see the work has started on The MUGA over the weekend, should be completed in a 6-8 weeks according to one workie I asked.
Franck

Postby fresian » 18 Sep 2012, 12:46

Soup Dragon, There has been CCTV in the park since about 2004. I had to upgrade the lighting in there as part of the scheme. The problem is, as Bob states, the Police can't give it as much attention as they wanted. Perhaps DC et all could make themselves useful and form a vigilan... oops sorry, "protest group" to deal with the little miscreants. Portobello Against Little S**tbags (PALS) perhaps???
fresian

Postby lg1726 » 18 Sep 2012, 13:25

At least you guys have cctv, we are at the Quarry and have been plagued in the last few weekends with the little miscreants and their under age booze booty! Broken glass everywhere on Saturday and Sunday mornings and one section of the park designated the toilet! At least they had loo roll, so no skid marks for Mum to deal with!!

I personally don't get why we (that is DC et al) are getting in such a tizzy about the issue of Sainsburys getting an off sales licence a year from now when we have such anti social/public order issues from current off licences!!
lg1726

Postby fresian » 18 Sep 2012, 13:34

lg, probably because most of the current ones are run by, how can I put it? "Ethnic" people, and having a crackdown on that problem might be construed as politically incorrect. CEC would consider it be far more socially acceptable to tackle the big bad capitalist supermarkets instead.
fresian

Postby lg1726 » 18 Sep 2012, 13:40

lg1726

Postby Pal of Porty » 18 Sep 2012, 14:46

The little drinking miscreants are reaping havoc everywhere with their broken glass. There are 5 patches of broken glass from Big W through to the end of the Innocent Tunnel - got yet another glass puncture the other day and I have already fitted my bike with anti-flak kevlar tyres! 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby lg1726 » 18 Sep 2012, 15:00

Well as I've said before, I would rather see six Sainsburys on the High Street with stringent under age sales policies than the current arrangement where the little darlings seem able to get booze without any restriction. The public order/anti social concerns of residents seem to have been put to one side in an attempt to use the alcohol over provision argument to prevent their licence by DC et al and our elected representatives! I do hope that the minority group do not yet again drive the agenda!!!
lg1726

Postby StarVanMan » 18 Sep 2012, 22:27

My experience is that if you approach young people having a drink nicely and ask them to be careful about their bottles they are pretty civil. I dont know what happens in the end, and it only takes one stupid act to leave glass everywhere, but I like to think that approaching them with some respect gets some respect back. It doesnt cost anything.
StarVanMan

Postby wangi » 19 Sep 2012, 01:03

Pretty much on the ball SVM - most of the mass carnage is when they've been moved on.

Am I unique in having a drink, bought illegally, with friends on a park/prom/beach before I was 18?! Doubt it.

Tighten up please - but the young folk are just making best use of the avenues available! Maist are good kids.
wangi
[admin]

Postby gillian » 19 Sep 2012, 09:32

They are good kids, mostly, and no wangi you are definitely not the only one. I just wish they would have their get togethers have a wee drink and then put their bottles in the bin!!! There are usually plenty to be found, Brighton Park for example has 3 or 4 all near the benches. The same goes for lunch times though, how hard can it be to put your chip paper in the bin?
gillian

Postby lg1726 » 19 Sep 2012, 10:25

lg1726

Postby SoupDragon » 19 Sep 2012, 11:06

I have no doubt most of them are good kids and there may even be some local teens in there.
But they aren't reasonable if you ask them not to smash bottles, my post up the thread in May was about our neighbour asking some teens not to smash their bottles in the play area, in the daytime for which she got a mouthful of abuse.

I have no illusions that Clanger 4 when he went on his rough camping trips didn't drink, but they all cleaned up after themselves, even clearing up other folks rubbish

As usual its a small minority that gie all a group or area a bad name
SoupDragon

Postby Franck » 19 Sep 2012, 12:56

Franck

Postby Pal of Porty » 19 Sep 2012, 13:35

I have no problems with teenagers in general and given the age of my kids, I know and like many of them anyway. I have tried to reason with some of the young drinkers on one occasion along the lines of - drink and clean up your mess and very few people will be on your backs - leave broken glass everywhere and ultimately, after a lot of hassle, you will just get moved on. Cue another puncture. 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby SoupDragon » 19 Sep 2012, 13:54

SoupDragon

Postby dino » 20 Sep 2012, 14:14

Hi there, my husband and I are interested in buying a property in West Brighton Crescent (right next to Rosefield Park), but after doing some research i.e. finding out about the new MUGA install and the fact that currently it seems to be a gathering area for young kids drinking, we are a bit concerned.

Can someone tell me whether this is an ongoing problem or if it only happens now and again and should we be worried? The thing is we really like the property and the area around it but don't want to make the wrong move!!!!

Any help is very much appreciated.
dino

Postby Franck » 20 Sep 2012, 14:20

Franck

Postby lg1726 » 20 Sep 2012, 14:26

lg1726

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Sep 2012, 14:32

Rosefield Park did have a problem a few years back but the introduction of CCTV moved the troublemakers on. I'm sure there is still a bit of noise occasionally during Summer evenings but no more than you might expect living next to any park. It's a great area to bring up a family and WBC is a lovely street.
Bob Jefferson

Postby rmolehusband » 20 Sep 2012, 14:44

rmolehusband

Postby dino » 20 Sep 2012, 16:22

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated. Not quite sure what you mean about the neighbours. Its seems a nice neighbourhood???
dino

Postby Pal of Porty » 20 Sep 2012, 16:59

I don't live in WBC but do visit frequently as I have very good friends there and between us we have children ranging from 9 to 16 years old. Brilliant place for a family and easy walking distance to parks, the beach, Porty and the local primary and secondary schools. 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby Maria » 20 Sep 2012, 17:06

It's a nice, friendly street dino. I,honestly, wouldn't worry too much about teenagers hanging around the park- mostly they are just nice kids chilling with their mates. I admit there were two separate incidents incidents last week, where some (very nice) teens from West Brighton Crescent were beaten up for fun by some older youths (the same ones on each occasion) in Rosefield Park , but the Police, I believe, are pursuing a definite lead.

Youth related crime is pretty city wide and tends to come in waves. Often, as the Police clamp down on one area, it simply moves to another.
Maria

Postby dino » 20 Sep 2012, 17:30

I realise it may only be occasionally that these issues occur at the moment but were worried about what will happen when the muga is installed. This has potential to get worse which is such a shame for the residents because its a really nice street! If only we could see into the future :)
dino

PreviousNext

Return to Portobello Matters