[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Bath Street Traffic Restrictions

Bath Street Traffic Restrictions

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Bath Street Traffic Restrictions

Postby Puerto bella » 14 Nov 2011, 18:33

Anyone able to shed any light on council proposals that are underway to 'double yellow' from the Espe up to 44 Bath St...apparently not part of the wider traffic consultation that was earlier in year?
Puerto bella

Re: Bath Street Traffic Restrictions

Postby seanie » 14 Nov 2011, 18:37

Not heard about that.
seanie

Postby SoupDragon » 14 Nov 2011, 19:00

I can't remember seeing anything mentioning that

I see Bellfield Lane is now one way
SoupDragon

Postby Puerto bella » 14 Nov 2011, 20:12

Appears very few have heard about it yet apparently its full steam ahead as Andy Mattieson never had any comments from anyone in the street .........

If Bellfield can be one way......
Puerto bella

Postby seanie » 14 Nov 2011, 20:56

I thought one of the outcomes of the consultation was to come up with proposals for a one-way system?
seanie

Postby Puerto bella » 14 Nov 2011, 21:08

It seems that the consultation is dealing with a bigger picture and yes you're right it was looking a the potential for one way system but this seems to be something different - maybe connected to accommodating the banks of bins, bins and more bins.
Placemaking ruled by traffic engineers is generally considered suicide at worst or out of vogue at best in most Scottish authorities and indeed in Europe as a whole but apparently not in Edinburgh where, ah I forgot, some officers rule the council rather than the people we elect.
Puerto bella

Postby GRANTY » 14 Nov 2011, 21:28

Residents were advised that the notice about Bath Street was posted in The Evening News and that appears to count as 'consultation' !
GRANTY

Postby wangi » 14 Nov 2011, 21:41

Presumably sticking down double yellows requires a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO)? Bath St doesn't seem to be covered by any of those currently up on the Council website: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/1523/t ... c_orders/2

And aren't these normally also advertised by sticking notes up on the streets impacted?
wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 15 Nov 2011, 00:34

I have emailed Andy Mattieson, CEC Transportation aka ' the cooncil man who poo poos residents suggestions and does the opposite' to ask about the double yellow proposals as I cant get a straight answer from anyone as to when, where, why etc......it surely cant be true that we're all getting double yellows because the Espe, Chippy and Beach House can't find anywhere lawful to put their bins and its all about accommodating bins?
Puerto bella

Postby wangi » 15 Nov 2011, 11:33

Attachments
TRO1029-Amalgamated-Plans.pdf
(4.82 MiB) Downloaded 434 times
wangi
[admin]

Postby seanie » 15 Nov 2011, 11:40

It looks like fairly minor extensions to the existing DYLs to ease congestion at junctions.
seanie

Postby rmolehusband » 15 Nov 2011, 19:09

rmolehusband

Postby Puerto bella » 16 Nov 2011, 19:54

If I'd had my Hallowe'en costume on I might win...

Anyhow - next traffic consutlation event will be in mid Dec - poss 14th. Look out for it - Paul tell all the people in your stair that said they didnt know about it last time.
Puerto bella

Postby cuth » 19 Nov 2011, 15:06

I called the council and was told that there were no plans to change any parking restrictions and that the council would not consider making any changes while consultation was going on about the wider parking issues. Clearly, they lied.
cuth

Postby seanie » 19 Nov 2011, 23:14

I've had dealings with the Council in a variety of ways, including some quite testy disagreements. However, as individuals I've found officials to be on the whole pretty reasonable and competent. In my experience problems that I have encountered have been more institutional. It's a big authority, dealing with multiple things, and sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, individuals aren't familiar with things at a local level, or that decisions are made on reasonable grounds without recognising that the public may view things differently if only due to a lack of information.
seanie

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Nov 2011, 09:35

To be honest, I think that this attitude that a lot of people seem to have towards the Council says a lot more about them than it does about CEC. I find it difficult to understand but they seem to like to be angry and have something to rage against. They don't seem to see that Council officials are just ordinary individuals, like you or I, who are trying to do a job to the best of their ability within whatever constraints they face. To portray them as having some collective malevolence seems bizarre.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Epykat » 20 Nov 2011, 12:32

Epykat

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Nov 2011, 15:16

Bob Jefferson

Postby Porty » 20 Nov 2011, 21:20

.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby rmolehusband » 21 Nov 2011, 14:56

Getting back at the changes, they all look minor to me and all designed to improve safety at junctions, admittedly at the cost of several parking places in areas where they are already in short supply. I suspect that when someone from the cooncil said 'no changes until the end of the consultation' they probably meant no decision on major changes rather than on-going tweaking like this. That seems like a more plausible explanation that wholesale corruption and incompetence in this case.

The changes at the foot of Bath Street are less obviously helpful, but probably aimed at creating a large enough area for those parked below Straighton Place to turn, rather than reversing back up to the junction. It will also improve access for the residents of the MBH flats, though there may be little sympathy for them with their garages and private parking spaces. Lastly it may be about addressing long term concerns about the access for emergency vehicles there. It will also make commercial access for deliveries and collections easier and safer - for better or worse the businesses at the end of the street need access.
rmolehusband

Postby administrator » 07 Dec 2011, 22:10

administrator
[admin]

Postby wangi » 24 Jan 2013, 11:08

So that TRO has been finally implemented, with the double yellow lines on Bath st going down yesterday:

(thanks to Jane Gardner for the photo)

"If anyone else wants to complain about the new parking restrictions on Bath St, call Andy at the council on 0131 529 3750 ASAP!"

That's a fair few parking spaces gone.

L/
wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 25 Jan 2013, 14:33

A neighbour up the street was so enraged he called the council on Wed and was told that the TRO wasnt actually in place/ adopted or whatever it is they do to ratify TROs - so.....if you get a ticket on those double yellows or are nabbed for parking in that ever empty disabled bay - is it enforceable? Most prob not if they guy is correct.
Puerto bella

Postby Puerto bella » 27 Jan 2013, 16:17

Today - it seems that the residents at this end of the street have stuck two fingers up to the inadequacies of CEC and are all blatantly ignoring their un-enforcable traffic restrictions/ double yellows. Only people they benefit it seems are the lorry drivers who can get to the bottom of the street faster. Designing Streets has passed this council by.
Puerto bella

Postby Pal of Porty » 28 Jan 2013, 13:20

All clear this morning when I cycled past. I also passed a LIne Painting lorry coming down Bath Street so I wondered if they were going to be painting even more! 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby wangi » 28 Jan 2013, 17:55

Attachments
bath-st-tro.jpg
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 30 Jan 2013, 17:53

Ok latest update... The "no loading" restriction kerb lines have now been removed, and the double yellow lines are enforceable (conform to the TRO above), so guerilla night time parkers beware!

The disabled bay will become active / enforceable when a sign goes up for it.
wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 30 Jan 2013, 20:26

So how come the council dont know anything about the TRO when people phone the Roads Dept and they check their register of confirmed TROs?
Puerto bella

Postby wangi » 30 Jan 2013, 21:39

I've never understood why they're not published online as standard. And have found getting hold of one challenging!
wangi
[admin]

Postby cuth » 28 Mar 2013, 17:57

I see that signs have gone up announcing that the double yellow lines are to extended even further on the 5th of April. I think the council are completely out of touch with the community on this issue.
cuth

Return to Portobello Matters