[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - New Portobello High School - PPAG Judicial Review

New Portobello High School - PPAG Judicial Review

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Re: New Portobello High School - PPAG Judicial Review

Postby Scoop » 21 Jul 2012, 11:57

Between this poster and myself, I think we were straight by the end of the exchanges, but then the Chief started to question me. I had said that I admire anyone who stands up for what they believe in, even if they are in the minority and are being pilloried for their views. I had said that the council is corrupt, which it is, I had said that we have to operate within a legal system which is made up of out of date hand me down laws.
Gene pool not swimming pool..........
Scoop

Postby Scoop » 21 Jul 2012, 12:05

Well, the administer clearly didn['t want my questioning of them to be viewed by others, for whatever reason. If I had rubbished them, then I might understand a bit more. But this is worse than deleting someone who has rubbished your opinion. This was deleting someone because their opinion was different to theirs. Self censorship, it's my ball and I'm not playing, whatever you want to call it. The administrator clearly has their opinions, and it is indeed their site, and they are then free to delete whoever they like. But they are wrong to think that we won't spot the hypocrisy.
Scoop

Postby Scoop » 21 Jul 2012, 12:10

Rubbished. Deleted. Rubbished. Binned. Rubbished. Put out for the trash. Rubbished.

And you wouldn't see it, because it has been deleted. Duh!
Scoop

Postby seanie » 21 Jul 2012, 12:21

I'm none the wiser as to what's transpired on the New Porty High School Facebook page. But for the most part I see people being criticised for the content of what they say, not simply because they hold a different opinion. That's to be encouraged.
seanie

Postby Porty » 21 Jul 2012, 13:04

The problem is entirely down to the people who think their opinions are being rubbished. Many of them appear to be incacpable of processing factual information and the result is, more often than not, a rubbish opinion. Rubbish in the sense that the opinion is not based on facts. The lady who read and failed to grasp the 3% poster is a good example.

Time and time again there are attempts to engage the rubbish on a factual basis, time and time again it fails. Eventually they are asked to point out where the rubbishing can be witnessed, that fails also. The defence of factual rubbish turns out to be rubbish too. What a shower.
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby seanie » 21 Jul 2012, 14:39

seanie

Postby wangi » 21 Jul 2012, 17:59

wangi
[admin]

Postby Scoop » 26 Jul 2012, 22:44

And sorry if that wasn't made clear by me rigth from the start. For what it's worth, I think it's better to leave all posts for all to see. Then if someone makes a total a*^e of themselves, it's there for all to see. Likewise, if someone expects everyone to believe that some posts were offensiveandpleasejusttakemywordforit, then others should make an informed decision on that too.
Scoop

Postby Porty » 28 Jul 2012, 23:02

You said sorry.
Porty

Postby Scoop » 31 Jul 2012, 22:41

Scoop

Postby Betty Windsor » 09 Aug 2012, 22:10

If young Windsor's exam results are anything to go by, Mrs McArthur could have more to worry about than a new school. Would be interested to know when the next HMI visit is due at PHS.
long may she rain.
Betty Windsor

Postby Snow White » 10 Aug 2012, 08:05

That's a shame for your son/daughter. It's the time of year when the post bring good news and bad news for many young people and I really feel for them. We were lucky to be in the former category, as were many of my daughter's friends so a huge thank you to all the staff at PHS for your hard work, drive and commitment to the kids, particularly in such trying circumstances (by this I mean the budget cuts and changes to curriculum as well as the new school build 'blockage').

It is rather unedifying to read your continual barbed comments aimed at Mrs McArthur through a forum such as this. I have always found her to be extremely approachable and down-to-earth. Why not pay her a visit for a meaningful two-way conversation?
Snow White

Postby seanie » 10 Aug 2012, 11:43

The last HMIE report on PHS was pretty positive, although it did highlight the poor accommodation and facilities and their adverse effect on pupil performance.

Did you know that parental educational attainment is a strong predictor of a child's educational attainment?
seanie

Postby Porty » 10 Aug 2012, 13:18

Porty

Postby Pal of Porty » 10 Aug 2012, 15:04

Porty is not doing too bad on the exam front:

Percentage of the S4 year group achieving five or more awards at SCQF Level 3 (Standard Grade Foundation level or equivalent) or better

By end of S4 for the last three years (2009, 2010, 2011):
Portobello High School 91% 94% 95%
Edinburgh City 90% 90% 92%
Scotland 92% 92% 93%
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Puerto bella » 10 Aug 2012, 17:33

Puerto bella

Postby Porty » 11 Aug 2012, 13:04

I don't agree with you on that one. Betty's post serves as a fine example of the perverse mindset of the school- hating creed. Exposed like being naked on a 26 rush hour bus, having to stand near the door cos' there's no seats. Let it be.
Porty

Postby Puerto bella » 11 Aug 2012, 17:50

'Exposed'........ like the old boy and his old boy in Auchtermuchty......what was he thinking.......
Puerto bella

Postby Betty Windsor » 14 Aug 2012, 23:26

long may she rain.
Betty Windsor

Postby seashell » 15 Aug 2012, 07:42

Betty = as you are very well aware, there can be all manner of reasons why a person retires at a certain time. So I definitely don't find it odd. Do you have inside knowledge as to that person's personal circumstances?

I'm sure everyone would like all schools to enable their pupils to achieve their potential. For PHS to improve, it requires a concerted and united effort from all concerned. Having said that, having a school that is not fit for purpose and having to sit back and watch as a group of NIMBYs use delaying tactic after delaying tactic to halt a rebuild on the most suitable sight is certainly morale-destroying.

I am sorry your son did not do well in his exams and hope this coming year is a more positive experience for him.
seashell

Postby Pal of Porty » 15 Aug 2012, 16:44

Pal of Porty

Postby Snow White » 15 Aug 2012, 22:13

The City of Edinburgh Council had placed an embargo on permanent teaching contracts due to budget cuts. I believe this led to the regrettable situation where staff on temporary contracts who could obtain permanent contracts outside Edinburgh moved on. If you were to have discussed this with any member of staff, I'm sure you could have been enlightened, Betty.
Snow White

Postby tufty » 21 Aug 2012, 16:44

In the spirit of Ms Windsor I would like to blame Portobello High School and their staff for the 3 As and 2 Bs young tufty got. All their support and encouragement has managed to ensure the future looks bright.

I would also like to blame them for making my younger 2 happy and confident, introducing them to brilliant friends and taking them on amazing trips. Then there is the enthusiasm my middle one shows for science, the conversations we have about morals around the dinner table, the fact that my oldest knows more about American Politics than me, my youngest has started to write a story for no reason and generally I never have to force them to get up for school.

I would like to take some credit myself but I only provide a happy, safe and nurturing family home, I know nothing about politics or French.

In the 5 years of experience I have of Portobello High School I have been continually impressed, reassured and more than satisfied with the education my children have received. I haven't once been bored at a school music concert and the art department shine. I would have no hesitation to recommend Porty to friends and I really look forward to the new school and the benefits it will bring to the area.
tufty

Postby tufty » 21 Aug 2012, 16:46

And I want to add retirement happens at set times in our lives and I believe the teacher who retired after 35 years worked on past retirement to support the school.That's real royalty, sorry loyalty.
tufty

Postby Bob Jefferson » 21 Aug 2012, 16:58

Great posts tufty. I too was genuinely shocked by Betty Windsor's post. Clearly, she has a personal agenda.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Betty Windsor » 22 Aug 2012, 13:40

long may she rain.
Betty Windsor

Postby Betty Windsor » 22 Aug 2012, 13:42

long may she rain.
Betty Windsor

Postby Betty Windsor » 22 Aug 2012, 13:51

BTW congratulations to wee Tufty. I am well aware that there are a lot of fantastic teachers doing a great job in difficult circumstances at PHS. That said, to pretend that all in the garden is rosy, is not a fair reflection of what is going on, in my opinion. I think I'm still entitled to that, right?
long may she rain.
Betty Windsor

Postby gillian » 22 Aug 2012, 13:57

gillian

Postby Snow White » 22 Aug 2012, 14:55

Snow White

Postby tufty » 22 Aug 2012, 16:48

tufty

Postby portygeoff » 23 Aug 2012, 10:03

I've been away for a wee while and after a period of time the memory fades and I started to think that 'no, the anti-school brigade cannot have been all that bad'. Then I read Ma Windsor's comments and the reality all comes flooding back. These people are nasty small minded NIMBY's who will say anything whether it is based on fact or not. IMHO of course, although there is enough factual evidence on this forum to back such a statement I would suggest.
portygeoff

Postby Pal of Porty » 24 Aug 2012, 10:49

I was hanging around outside the Portobello Bar having a fag and a ham roll with the Jakies and one of them told me that he was told on the QT that a decision will be due quite soon on the school. 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby Porty » 24 Aug 2012, 11:27

Was it the wee guy with the red hair?
Porty

Postby Pal of Porty » 24 Aug 2012, 12:07

Pal of Porty

PreviousNext