[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Woodwares closing / Sainsburys coming to Portobello

Woodwares closing / Sainsburys coming to Portobello

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Woodwares closing / Sainsburys coming to Portobello

Postby BeachBum » 15 Aug 2012, 20:22

It has been announced that Sainsburys will be opening in Porty at 222-228 Portobello High Street [admin: correct address].

Good news in my opinion.

I'm sure opinion will be mixed and that there will be a strong campaign against them coming to Porty as per most things.

I found this document on Peter McColls website which has some more details,

Edited to add link to Peter McColls website.
Last edited by wangi on 15 Aug 2012, 22:45, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: correct address
BeachBum

Re: Sainsburys coming to Portobello

Postby Lones » 15 Aug 2012, 20:27

Does that mean the hardware store is closing down?
Lones

Postby BeachBum » 15 Aug 2012, 20:30

BeachBum

Postby Puerto bella » 15 Aug 2012, 20:48

but they wont need planning permission for the use - its already a class 1 unit.
How could there be a campaign against it?
A bit of range and choice might buck up the co-op.
Puerto bella

Postby wangi » 15 Aug 2012, 21:09

Last edited by wangi on 15 Aug 2012, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct address
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 15 Aug 2012, 21:18

So, when are Scotmid selling up to Tesco?
wangi
[admin]

Postby jb5370 » 15 Aug 2012, 21:20

Can't believe hardware shop to close. That will be a big loss to High Street - staff always so knowledgable and helpful. Mixed feelings about Sainsbury's but sad to see that shop go.
Last edited by jb5370 on 16 Aug 2012, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
jb5370

Postby wangi » 15 Aug 2012, 21:29

wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 15 Aug 2012, 21:37

a campaign wont stop the use and wouldnt have much hope in stalling alterations if PP required so hopefully people will bear that in mind before expending lots of energy and time on that sort of thing - potentially no pl app if all internal alts, may just be BW. Could potentially want to extend floorspace to rear courtyard and new shopfront....
Its a good size of floorspace to work with.
Puerto bella

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Aug 2012, 22:11

Kind of ironic, don't you think, given that Woodware's were very much part of the campaign against the Superstore. I'll be sorry to see the hardware store go and I have mixed feelings about Sainsbury's, particularly the issues about deliveries that Sam Paterson is highlighting on the Portobello High Street Facebook Page, but it was inevitable that this would happen eventually. The quality independents should be OK but Scotmid must be very worried.
Bob Jefferson

Postby wangi » 15 Aug 2012, 22:17

For the size of the premises is there really scope for delivery nightmares? The odd truck now and then, parked up the bus stop... Plus it's on the main drag, no manoeuvring around small streets.
wangi
[admin]

Postby bearcub » 15 Aug 2012, 22:34

Not against this at all, and the impact will be nothing like the Superstore that the original PCATS was set up for. It's a shame about Woodwares, as it's been a saviour many a time for those last minute requirements for DIY jobs, but if the owner is retiring then there's no other realistic alternative for that size of a shop than the likes of a Sainsburys Local. It would be that or another charity shop.

The shop I do feel for though is Kost Konscious, or our POL ex-Mayor Javid's shop in other words. They will feel the impact of a shop like that only a few yards along the street. Now that is one shop which has been a saviour on many an occasion.
bearcub

Re: Woodwares closing / Sainsburys coming to Portobello

Postby Puerto bella » 15 Aug 2012, 23:46

Deliveries issues - are making me frown, thankyou Wangi for pointing out - its the main road, not a side street with tight geometry. If you cant deliver to retail units on a High St then where can you?

Does KK not stock slightly different items from S'burys and there's never a queue so will still be easier to pop in to for papers, sweets, drinks......and whatever else there seems to be a large demand in Porty for....... from the top shelves of these wee newsagents. lol
Puerto bella

Postby Porty » 16 Aug 2012, 00:56

admin: Portobello Campaign Against The Superstore have not given money to these groups.

Last edited by wangi on 22 Aug 2012, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PCATS have not given money to these groups
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby Franck » 16 Aug 2012, 09:08

Gutted to be losing Woodwares, a true porty institution and a source of pretty much anything you need for your DIY botch-jobs (or so my wife tells me)It has been very quiet whenever I've been in,though.

not fussed either way by Sainsburys.
Last edited by Franck on 16 Aug 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Franck

Postby wangi » 16 Aug 2012, 10:47

wangi
[admin]

Postby Pal of Porty » 16 Aug 2012, 11:40

Woodwares is a major loss to Porty and was a fantastic example of great service that you can get from a small independent. I am already dreading the thought of having to go to B&Q. 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby jb5370 » 16 Aug 2012, 11:55

Do we have any idea when we will be losing Woodwares? (Not on Facebook, so sorry if it's already on there)
jb5370

Postby administrator » 16 Aug 2012, 13:49

administrator
[admin]

Postby administrator » 16 Aug 2012, 13:55

administrator
[admin]

Postby wangi » 16 Aug 2012, 14:11

Interesting that in PCATS statement retirement isn't mentioned and instead a big play is made of trading conditions: "and now because of difficult trading conditions have found themselves with a hard decision to make" ... "A timely reminder, if one was needed, that if we want to keep our local independent shops open we need to give them our full support and patronage"

I also find "big supermarket" being used in some of the newspaper quotes less than helpful. That's an emotive word - what's being proposed is a small "local" format store. It is a fraction of the size of the existing Scotmid site and a mere blip compared to what was being planned on the Scottish Power site.

PCATS really need to think carefully about this, plus also be very aware of the split feelings (as evidenced above) people have. This is a very different situation to a big supermarket, and they cannot automatically assume previous support they had against the Scottish Power site plans will automatically carry across to this plan...

L/
wangi
[admin]

Postby Makaveli » 16 Aug 2012, 14:33

What a life that woman must have desperatley trying to find something to object to!!!

There are plenty of these 'locals' all over the country and independants survive along side them so I don't know what the fuss is about - like others have said it might make some of the local shops up their game a bit!!!
Makaveli

Postby Porty » 16 Aug 2012, 15:26

Porty

Postby Porty » 16 Aug 2012, 15:40

Wangi- do you have a pic of Woodwares shopfront handy? Although I've seen it many times, I'm struggling to recall if its preserved in the Georgian style.
Porty

Postby urchaidh » 16 Aug 2012, 16:00

I'm a big fan of Woodwares, a regular customer and truly sorry to see it go.

As for Sainsburys coming, I'd rather it was another independent shop but at least it's a local shop on the High Street rather than another supermarket in an edge of town car park. As there's no car parking (I hope), it shouldn't increase car traffic too much other than deliveries. Better than an empty unit I suppose.

Does anyone know if there any attempt by the current owners to sell the shop as a going concern, maybe to allow another independent retailer to take over the place? Maybe the hardware business was moribund. PCATS'* statement suggests the owners are leasing their shop to Sainsburys - people have to make a living, but it would a shame if people who once campaigned for a local high street are now forced to welcome / invite in Sainsburys in this way.

* do they still exist, suggests otherwise)?
urchaidh

Postby gillian » 16 Aug 2012, 16:10

The new store won't be big enough to carry a fresh fish/butchers counter surely? I wouldn't go for prepackaged when Findlays and Williamson's are so close. The lunchtime traders may suffer if there is a meal deal. Banana Republic can't be beaten on price, though the quality is sometimes a bit iffy. The card shop practically gives cards away. Mr Hamilton has his band of loyal customers. Not sure about the other sweetie shop. Hopefully the Sainsbury's won't carry a large selection of pet goods so that the new pet shop will survive and flourish. Maybe the main losers will be the convenience stores/news agents.

Scotmid will have to compete aggresively. I won't stop going there. I am programmed to walk there, i often find myself in there when I should be somewhere else. Anyway my day wouldn't be complete without a chat to Marian, Angela and Annmarie.

Probably will go into Sainsbury's for things I can't get else where. Treat puddings etc

Woodwares though will be a huge loss, really sorry to see it go
Last edited by gillian on 16 Aug 2012, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
gillian

Postby wangi » 16 Aug 2012, 16:18

wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 16 Aug 2012, 16:18

http://www.pcats.org.uk/

Didnt expect that when I clicked on the link.
Puerto bella

Postby Makaveli » 16 Aug 2012, 16:20

Loving that link PB!!!
Makaveli

Postby Porty » 16 Aug 2012, 16:29

Porty

Postby Porty » 16 Aug 2012, 19:17

Porty

Postby Bob Jefferson » 16 Aug 2012, 19:25

Bob Jefferson

Postby Chas » 16 Aug 2012, 19:35

OK. So we're all sad that Woodwares is closing but the owners are going in to retirement and are taking Sainsbury's money to fund it (lets face it, they couldn't survive on a State Pension). The shop is, by supermarket standards, very small and so will not carry the broad range of lines a superstore would; it is unlikely to have 'counters' as they are known. So it seems unlikely that it's opening will adversely affect the specialists such as the butchers and fishmongers. So, as has been said, the losers are the convenience stores already on our High Street.

What I am surprised that no one has picked up on is that Sainsbury's are claiming they will create up to 25 jobs. Whilst I know most of them will be part-time and none will be well paid, that is probably as many jobs as all the convenience stores put together. Look on the bright side folks, it's much needed jobs.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which - Douglas Adams
Chas

Postby James A » 16 Aug 2012, 20:07

I don't think Findlay's and Williamson's have anything to worry about. Fresh products from these two will always trump the vaccum packed meat and fish you get in supermarkets. They haven't had a problem with Scotmid before now so don't think Sainsbury's will threaten.

Not sure what the point of having yet another 'Porty Against...' group will do to stop this. Also it makes us look like a bunch of whingers (which is what the rest of Edinburgh thinks of us already!). I bet those kicking up a stink will soon be popping into Sainsbury's for a pint of milk when no-one is looking.

The only people who should be worried about this is Scotmid. For too long they have been resting on their laurels knowing that a large proportion of their customers only shop there because they are desparate and there is nowhere else to go. I'm glad i'll never have to set foot in that dump ever again (apart from going to the Post Office). The Scotmid shop is a shambles, it is dirty, over priced and the staff are a complete joke. Zero customer service skills and why is there only one till open at busy times.

It will be sad to see Woodwares close but thank goodness it isn't yet another charity shop taking over.
:albino:
James A

Postby seanie » 16 Aug 2012, 20:17

It'll be less than a quarter the size of Scotmid. It'll be more a convenience store than a supermarket I would've thought, and it's the convenient stores that might suffer more.
seanie

Next

Return to Portobello Matters