[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Brighton Place road repairs

Brighton Place road repairs

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Brighton Place road repairs

Postby Maria » 29 Apr 2013, 15:33

The City Council are proposing carrying out work on Brighton Place this financial year. Currently, the proposal is to relay the setts, as Brighton Place falls within the conservation area. I believe, however, that the roads dept will carry out some consultation with the wider community before work commences.

I must declare an interest here, as I live on Brighton Place and although I think the setts look attractive, I think they are dangerous for cyclists and are not a suitable surface considering the volume and type of traffic (e.g.HGV and double-decker buses) on this busy street. I was hopeful the last time the setts were relaid, that the road would improve, but within a matter of months, it seemed, the surface was once again breaking up and becoming very uneven, with all the old problems, such as vibration and cyclists being forced onto the pavement, returning.

The subject is on the agenda tonight, at the monthly meeting of Portobello Community Council and some of you might want to make your views known in order to help inform discussion. I'd like to know how folk feel about retaining the setts.
Maria

Re: Brighton Place road repairs

Postby Sceptic » 01 May 2013, 06:53

Retaining cobbles might be pleasing to the eye, but, I'm sure the noise created by traffic on them must drive the residents there up the wall at times. In addition, how much extra will this cost us and how long before they will need relifting again compared to a regular surface? Oh, and can they fix that $£%^ing pothole at the junction with the High Street while they are about it?
Sceptic

Postby taxiranked » 02 May 2013, 17:18

I live close to Brighton Place and I 100% support the notion to re-lay the setts on Brighton Place. The setts contribute significantly to the sense of identity of the street and reinforce the sense of arrival into portobello particularly when coming from the west beneath the railway bridge and into portobello.

The importance of the road as the only remaining setted street is also highlighted in the conservation area appraisal approved in May 2000.
"Brighton Place is the main entrance into the conservation area from Duddingston and is the only remaining setted street."
taxiranked

Postby Bazza » 03 May 2013, 08:13

The setts are horrific on a bike, especially when it's wet. They're uneven and slippery, and cars totally race down Brighton Place. I do like the setts, but there really should be a separate path for bikes on Brighton Place.
Bazza

Postby Franck » 03 May 2013, 10:07

As someone who has lived on or very near Brighton Place for their entire life, I vote for tarmac.
Franck

Postby taxiranked » 03 May 2013, 17:22

re: Franck - posting unqualified opinions based on personal agendas I do't believe is helpful for an open and productive debate. There are many more people that use and enjoy the street of Brighton Place than there are people that live on (or very near) it.

I do quite agree with the notion that setts are particularly uncomfortable to ride on and some concession to cyclists would be welcomed although the dimensions of the street make it difficult if on street parking is to be retained? If they were to be relaid correctly then one would hope the unevenness would be solved. The contractor that has relaid the royal mile setts has done an exceptional job although I would doubt a similar budget would be available to Brighton Place.

As for the speed issue would we really want to support the idea of speed bumps along brighton place?
taxiranked

Postby Pal of Porty » 03 May 2013, 17:49

I like the setts but they do not work. They are murder to drive on and nearly impossible on a bike. In their current format I think they are unsafe for both bikes and cars. If they can be fixed (properly this time) then I would be happy for them to stay but if they cannot then they should go. There are many things in a conservation area worth preserving but in this particular instance, the item in question is under daily use and has to be fit for purpose. 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Franck » 07 May 2013, 15:40

Franck

Postby seanie » 09 May 2013, 11:44

They're setts not cobbles. Cobbles are just loose stones set into a road surface, whereas setts are cut and regularised stone.
seanie

Postby wangi » 09 May 2013, 12:16

The world's gone crazy. Terminology...

I used to like calling them setts when everyone called them cobbles; now that everyone's calling them setts suddenly let me tell you they're cobbles.

Next we'll be calling the road the pavement.
wangi
[admin]

Postby gillian » 09 May 2013, 13:00

Or the pavement the causeway
gillian

Postby fresian » 09 May 2013, 13:38

Wangi,

A Highway engineer will tell you that the road surface is the pavement and thet the pavement is actually the footway
fresian

Postby Sceptic » 13 May 2013, 07:00

Still sound like a load of cobbles to me.
Sceptic

Postby mr magnolia » 13 May 2013, 11:44

mr magnolia

Postby taxiranked » 30 May 2013, 10:41

taxiranked

Postby urchaidh » 09 Sep 2013, 15:17

I'd asked Maureen Child about this last week as I've been caught by tank trap sized trenches a few times recently - the news is sadly not very promising, she said "I need to chase this up, but no major capital work is happening this financial year." Shame.
urchaidh

Return to Portobello Matters