Stranded sperm whale

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Stranded sperm whale

Postby wangi » 11 Jan 2014, 21:59

wangi
[admin]

Re: Stranded sperm whale

Postby wangi » 14 Jan 2014, 22:03

For those of you interested in the sperm whale which stranded at Joppa, the findings of the post mortem carried out by SMASS are as follows:

"...the animal was a little to decomposed for a full set of diagnostic testing. However we were able to rule out death due to trauma such as a boat/ship strike. There is some evidence to suggest the animal live stranded and died on the receding tide. There was also evidence of feeding as we were able to collect over a kilo of squid beaks from its stomach and intestine. The animal appeared to be in relatively good nutritional state it was a sub adult male 14 metres long and weighed just over 26 tonnes.
The North Sea, and certainly the Firths of the E coast of Scotland are not part of the normal distribution of this deep-diving oceanic species. The North Sea is considered to be a 'whale trap' for sperm whales, being generally both too shallow to provide enough squid, their usual prey species, and difficult to navigate out of. It is not unusual for pods of male sperm whale to move north to sub-Arctic waters, and it is thought they enter the North Sea from here, following squid in the relatively deep waters off Norway. It is possible therefore that this animal became lost and debilitated whilst off the E coast of Scotland and may have come into the firth of Forth in an attempt to move further west. There is evidence linking strandings of this species with warmer than average ocean temperatures though this is more to do with increased prey availability from variations in the North Atlantic oscillation rather than general climate change."

via Martin Craig at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1081704 ... 0762043991
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 14 Jan 2014, 22:55

And I'll spare you the photos of the whale in a skip / container on the way to Dunbar
wangi
[admin]

Postby photo_dave » 17 Jan 2014, 15:14

I went down on the Sunday to photograph it and it was gone, where did it go to and how?

I heard it was towed to Fife also heard it was craned out of the water into a container

Thanks

Dave
photo_dave

Postby wangi » 17 Jan 2014, 16:54

Hi Dave, was all over the news.

It was towed to Fife (Burntisland I think), then loaded into container for transport to landfill at Dunbar.
Attachments
1512187_10152543420568242_1395961105_o.jpg
wangi
[admin]

Return to Portobello Matters