[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Yellow Flag status for Porty Beach

Yellow Flag status for Porty Beach

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Re: Yellow Flag status for Porty Beach

Postby Maria » 24 May 2011, 12:11

Maria

Postby wangi » 24 May 2011, 13:11

wangi
[admin]

Postby Maria » 24 May 2011, 14:46

Maria

Postby wangi » 24 May 2011, 15:03

wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 24 May 2011, 17:59

I never cease to be amazed at the complete and utter lack of co-ordination, care and passion for the whole of this beautiful city by CEC. So sad that it is that way.
Puerto bella

Postby Lambie » 24 May 2011, 19:34

I was at bellhaven a couple of weeks ago and over heard a BBQing family say "beautiful isn't it? If you had this in Edinburgh it'd all be shopping trolleys and dog shit". We do and it's not.
Lambie

Postby Mark Cameron » 25 May 2011, 09:15

I contact Maureen Child who has agreed to raise this "as a Motion to one of the Council's Committees".

I'll post what I hear back.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby wangi » 25 May 2011, 22:42

wangi
[admin]

Postby Makaveli » 26 May 2011, 11:41

Makaveli

Postby wangi » 26 May 2011, 14:33

wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 30 May 2012, 11:01

So, finally good news on an award for Portobello Beach! We now have a Seaside Award from Keep Scotland Beautiful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18256023
http://coastal.keepscotlandbeautiful.or ... p?beach=76

(and I think this was the thread I first used positive porty :))
wangi
[admin]

Postby Mark Cameron » 30 May 2012, 12:53

This is fantastic and thoroughly deserved.

Thanks to all who've been involved in making this happen.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby wangi » 30 May 2012, 14:53

And a video via David Calder and the

http://caledonianmercury.com/2012/05/30 ... ag/0033901
wangi
[admin]

Postby Grunk » 30 May 2012, 15:49

Now if only we could convince the council to let us have more bars and restaurants, then we could have a proper resort town.
Grunk

Postby Bob Jefferson » 06 Jun 2012, 08:01

Bob Jefferson

Postby regent » 06 Jun 2012, 15:27

Read an article last week indicating that portobello beach water quality is 20th worst in Scotland. According to some upcoming announcement. All seems to depend on who is measuring!
who said that?
regent

Postby portygeoff » 06 Jun 2012, 20:18

Just to add that as an early morning runner I often see people out walking/toileting their dogs on the beach. In winter it is often too dark for the owners to actually see what their dog is doing. Loads of so could responsible owners actually have only a limited knowledge of what their animal has been up to. And I have yet to see a dog owner clean up the urine from the beach. From another site:

Dog urine, like all animal urine, is usually sterile when it first leaves the body. That means it contains no pathogens that can cause infections in people--no bacteria, no viruses, and no fungi. However, the urine stream can pick up bacteria from the surrounding skin, and urine that is allowed to sit for any length of time becomes a breeding ground for bacteria (many of these are probably harmless, but it's inevitable that some harmful bacteria grow as well).

Whats wrong with a small patch of beach that is free from being a dog toilet. :?
portygeoff

Postby regent » 06 Jun 2012, 23:13

Thanks for the detail re urine! I don't think i'm going to sleep tonight!
When I had a dog I knew her "habits" and if I lost one in the dark would pick one up in lieu! Yes it's true! It was always a bit gut wrenching when you got your hand, in bag on a cold one!
A well trained dog is reasonably predictable. Said dog never went on anything other than sand or grass, and was generally a creature of habit.
I agree that it should be possible to implement a dog free area on beach and know that responsible dog owners would support this. That just leaves the ignorant ones that cause the problem at present. I think it is bait of a paradox.
who said that?
regent

Postby Epykat » 07 Jun 2012, 08:30

Clean up urine? Get real.

I've yet to see a dog produce as much poo as a horse - as was the case at King's Road yesterday. It was everywhere, all over the promenade and the sand.
Epykat

Postby Pal of Porty » 07 Jun 2012, 13:32

Iv'e yet to see a horse poo as much an elephant! 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Epykat » 07 Jun 2012, 15:31

Epykat

Postby Pal of Porty » 07 Jun 2012, 16:35

I see loads of elephants on the beach when I am turfed out the Espy at closing time after an all day session! 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby Puerto bella » 07 Jun 2012, 18:49

must have been an elephant that sat on my railing ;)
Puerto bella

Postby Epykat » 07 Jun 2012, 22:00

Epykat

Postby Puerto bella » 07 Jun 2012, 22:35

I like elephants but not on my railing.
Puerto bella

Postby Porty » 07 Jun 2012, 23:27

Neither Elephants or Dogs swim in Porty Baths. I. bet hardly a day goes by without the need to remove poos from the water. All part of being a community.
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby storky » 08 Jun 2012, 11:23

[quote="portygeoff"]Just to add that as an early morning runner I often see people out walking/toileting their dogs on the beach. In winter it is often too dark for the owners to actually see what their dog is doing. Loads of so could responsible owners actually have only a limited knowledge of what their animal has been up to. And I have yet to see a dog owner clean up the urine from the beach.

I quite agree. I use the prom for my commute to work and I regularly see dog owners 'oblivious' to what their dogs are up to.

If Porty wants to have a high standard beach surely it makes sense to ban dogs from the beach area?
storky

Postby seanie » 08 Jun 2012, 11:55

A dog free area isn't straightforward. Because of the 'Right to Roam' legislation there's a presumption in favour of access. It's possible to restrict that, but there's a process and I think you need permission from ministers. Some places have introduced dog free areas without that process so it's no more than a suggestion and isn't enforceable, and in reality there isn't the manpower to enforce it anyway.
seanie

Postby Pal of Porty » 08 Jun 2012, 13:53

I would rather the dogs were on the beach than on the Prom attached to one of those 20 foot invisible leads. 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby Epykat » 08 Jun 2012, 14:44

I reckon the joggers should be confined to one part of the beach and they could run backwards and forwards between two groynes. They irritate my dog by constantly running and don't seem to have the sense to stop when a dog runs in front of them, instead shouting obscenities at the animal who thinks they're playing :roll:
Epykat

Postby regent » 08 Jun 2012, 20:37

Yeah but only if they agree to pick up globs of sweat !
who said that?
regent

Postby Epykat » 08 Jun 2012, 20:57

Epykat

Postby regent » 08 Jun 2012, 21:35

Then there is the problem of spreading the horse/elephant/dog poo around. At least the dogs just leave it in a neat pile. On balance I think you might be right epy - confine the jobbers
who said that?
regent

Postby regent » 08 Jun 2012, 21:35

Should read joggers
who said that?
regent

Postby Epykat » 08 Jun 2012, 22:00

Epykat

PreviousNext

Return to Portobello Matters