[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Cycling on the Promenade

Cycling on the Promenade

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

cycling on the prom

Postby Gemini » 08 Aug 2003, 11:35

Gemini

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2003, 12:28

Cycling on the prom.

Postby kevin » 08 Aug 2003, 13:43

I'm sure that more lives will be saved by allowing cyclists to use the prom than force them to use the High St and Harry Lauder Roundabout.

Cycle lanes would help as Bob suggests and most cyclists would adhere to these and be considerate of pedestrians.
Unfortunately you get nutters who drive cars,ride bikes and jay walk onto roads and there's not a lot you can do about them ,apart from stay clear when in their vicinity.

Signage has never stoppped me riding along the prom and never will.The police have stopped me either.Mind you it is becoming difficult cycling through the rubbish that is pilling up in the prom,so I mind have to think of another route.
kevin

Postby Gemini » 08 Aug 2003, 19:00

Gemini

Cycling on the Promenade.

Postby kevin » 11 Aug 2003, 13:21

kevin

Bikes on the Prom

Postby Carol » 13 Aug 2003, 00:19

Don't forget it's a PROMENADE and since all vehicles on official business are aware of that, why do cyclists decide their own speed limits? All motor Vehicles travel at less than ten miles per hour but some bikes travel at more than thirty. Did someone at sometime decide that bikes weren't included in that rule because they don't have engines?
Carol

Postby Guest » 18 Aug 2003, 19:43

Well, you have heard some of the arguments. Now you have a chance to vote! The more observant of you will have noticed that we have recently changed the poll on our website front page. So if you haven't already voted please do so now. The Council is very keen to guage public opinion on this, so make sure your voice is heard.

In the meantime. let's hear your views for and against the idea.

Postby Guest » 07 Sep 2003, 11:55

Postby Guest » 07 Sep 2003, 12:30

Postby Burt Toast » 27 Nov 2003, 21:26

Burt Toast

Postby Guest » 29 Nov 2003, 15:31

Postby Guest » 17 Jan 2004, 23:13

Cycling on the prom is not a new concern by any means... As I was updating my web site I came across a photo taken on the prom about 10-12 years ago (before the boat shed was demolished)

It seems a reasonable request(?), but someone decided to take the michael and graffiti the sign.

Postby Epykat » 18 Jan 2004, 13:34

As far back as I can remember there have always been no cycling signs on the prom. However, as far back as I can remember there have always been cyclists on the prom too! I'm in agreement with those who consider the prom to be the safest place for cyclists. We will always have inconsiderate cyclists but signs saying "Please cycle carefully/slowly/safely" (or all three!) might help. More than once I have come down to the prom via a side street to be faced with cyclists, horses (which in my opinion are far more dangerous when careering along the soft sand at however fast a galloping racehorse can go with no brakes), and once a Police car doing about 40! I now no longer let my dog off the lead until we are properly onto the promenade and I can see what traffic there is there. I am concerned about kids running down the side streets onto the beach - although mine are no longer at Towerbank that was also their route to school - it is only a matter of time before an accident does happen. I can't really see an adequate answer though!
Epykat

Postby Guest » 02 Feb 2004, 20:11

Postby wangi » 27 May 2004, 17:01

wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 18 Jul 2004, 19:27

That Rat Race today down the prom on a bike between Joppa Rd and the swim pool really does show hom much worse the situation could be... Mothers were pulling kids out from in front of the speeding bikes...

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing to make use of the beach. However a bit of planning and consideration for its other users should be a requirement! Compare the planning for the marathon to todays...

I said to one of the marshals that the prom wasn't really meant for cycling and perhaps they should be being a bit more careful... response - "maybe we got it closed". Pal, the lack of notices on streetlights says otherwise...

I cycled down myself with mrs wangi and upon getting to just before the pool we were shouted at by a marshal to "get out of the way of the bikes"... Aye, tae fuck. She got a bit of mind! Ended up having a word with one of the many police situated at the wrong end of the prom - complaing about the bikes etc while on a bike myself!
wangi
[admin]

Postby Maria » 18 Jul 2004, 20:47

Maria

Postby Maria » 18 Jul 2004, 21:02

Maria

Postby wangi » 19 Jul 2004, 11:31

wangi
[admin]

Postby Maria » 19 Jul 2004, 13:22

Maria

cycling on the Prom

Postby Gemini » 20 Jul 2004, 00:05

Gemini

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Jun 2005, 18:07

Time to resurrect this thread in light of this letter from today's EN:

Bob Jefferson

Postby Robin! » 15 Jun 2005, 18:53

Robin!

Postby Bob Jefferson » 18 Jun 2005, 18:38

Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 18 Jun 2005, 18:40

Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 30 Jun 2005, 17:38

Is it just me, or does the chairman of the Cockburn Street Association come across as slightly deranged? At least a dozen policemen walking up and down the Prom?
Bob Jefferson

Postby ecm » 30 Jun 2005, 19:30

ecm

Postby Gemini » 30 Jun 2005, 19:34

Gemini

Postby wangi » 30 Jun 2005, 20:08

wangi
[admin]

Postby Maria » 30 Jun 2005, 20:36

Maria

Postby Pal of Porty » 30 Jun 2005, 20:42

Justice delayed is justice denied.