Maureen Child: Updates May 2011

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Maureen Child: Updates May 2011

Postby administrator » 09 May 2011, 14:07

Dear All

I have been asked to circulate these details about a local event next Saturday:

You are invited to the Project Trust Benefit Ceilidh, Saturday 7 May, St James' Church Hall, Rosefield Place, Portobello EH15 Featuring the young and vibrant ROSEFIELD COLLECTIVE DANCE BAND, plus special guests. Tickets £10 on the door or from any of the organisers, who include Gica Loening of the Belle Star Band (Phone 0131 669 7618 ). Price includes plate of stovies and there are outstanding raffle prizes to be won, full bar and fruit cocktails on offer, plus non-stop lively ceilidh dancing.

Please come and support Herbie, Alex, and Beth fundraise for Project Trust (www.projecttrust.org.uk) . In their 6th year at Portobello High School, these young people have been selected to volunteer for a year in Sri Lanka, Chile, and India and need to raise £5,000 each. They all hope you can make it on the 7 May and would be delighted if you could pass the word on about the ceilidh and help them make the night a sell out!

A few people have been in touch with me about the unreliability and irregularity of their refuse collection. The bin men are still working to rule, now lasting two years, but there have also been changes to the routes which are causing further disruption. I think this press report is fairly accurate (or I wouldn't recommend you look at it):

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Bin-d ... 6759739.jp

If the collection doesn't happen on the due say, the official advice is to leave the bin out ready for collection, which may happen a day later. If it takes more than one full day, DO let me know and I'll make further waves!

Best wishes

Maureen
administrator
[admin]

Re: Maureen Child: Updates May 2011

Postby administrator » 09 May 2011, 14:08

Dear All

The Woodcraft Folk are a youth group operating in Portobello and they want me to tell you they are having an open session on Friday 13 May starting at 6.15pm, meeting on Portobello Promenade at foot of Marlborough Street. Children of all ages are welcome.

Portobello Swim Centre staff are also planning events on the beach in the summer. The events will consist of a multi-sport activities summer programme for 8-14 year olds and team fitness programmes for 12-18 year olds. The event is being organised by Edinburgh Leisure and will run from 4 July - 12 August with sessions from 2-5pm Monday to Friday and 11am - 1pm Saturday and Sunday. Best be prepared for those long summer holidays!

In common with other local Community Centres, Magdalene is planning a 2011 summer family programme form 4 July to 24 August, Registration will take place at their open day on Sunday 19 June (12pm - 4pm) at 106b Magdalene Drive, EH15 3BE. The day will include a car boot sale with each pitch costing £10 - or just £5 to Members of the Centre. If you are interested in hiring a pitch, contact Jacqui at the Centre on 669 8760 or 468 2020 or email jacqui@magdalenecommunitycentre.co.uk For more information on what's on at Magdalene. visit the website at http://www.magdalenecommunitycentre.co.uk

You may have noticed that the Laundrette on the corner of Pipe Street and Portobello High Street re-opened last week after more than two years lying empty. I have a feeling of 'ownership' of this enterprise. It's a new small business was helped by financial support from the Business Incubator in Craigmillar and I was on the panel of Cre8te Non-Executive Directors who helped approve the start-up funding support for this new enterprise. Lynda Cuthill's new business is called "Share the Load" at 62 Portobello High Street (0131 657 3300). Lynda also offers an ironing service. I called in on Lynda's Day 2 on the premises to wish Lynda every success.

I had a huge amount of feedback at the time about the response to the severe weather last year and I am assured that all that feedback has been logged - about new places for new grit bins, priorities for gritting and ice-clearing etc. This should lead to improvements in our response and capacity to cope with severe weather in future. If you feel you have more to add, or want to underline what you already said, then do feel free to fill in the attached form, and send it to faye.gray@edinburgh.gov.uk at the local Neighbourhood office.

There is a move to hold a 'Swamp Soccer' event in Hunter's Hall Park. For further information please click http://www.swampsoccer.co.uk
Swamp Soccer was launched in the UK in 2006 and has grown every year and want to come to Edinburgh for a weekend event. The organiser says he has already engaged with the local community and that support so far is "universal". But the parks managers seem sceptical, and worried about reinstatement of the grassy area and its impact on the rest of the park in which a great deal of work is already ongoing. This site in question is immediately on the left hand side after the main entrance to Hunter's Hall Park on Niddrie Mains Road, below the play park What do YOU think?

I will be working today and tomorrow, but am taking an 11-day break from Wednesday. If there is anything really urgent, the Labour Group staff will be able to deal with it, or contact either of your two other Portobello/Craigmillar Councillors: michael.bridgman@edinburgh.gov.uk or stephen.hawkins@edinburgh.gov.uk

Best wishes

Maureen

Councillor Maureen Child | Labour Elected Member | Portobello/Craigmillar (Ward 17) | City of Edinburgh Council | City Chambers | High Street | Edinburgh | EH1 1YJ | Tel 0131 529 3268 |
Attachments
PC Winter Weather feedback form.doc
(22 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
administrator
[admin]

Update 31/05/2011

Postby administrator » 31 May 2011, 11:36

Dear All

Please find my latest Councillor's Report (attached), where I hope you find something of interest. It doesn't cover everything - by any means - so do let me know if you want a report or update on anything else. A few more things -

The City of Edinburgh Council’s Planning Service is reviewing its service and wants to improve how it communicates with members of the public. You can help by spending five minutes completing the online questionnaire at: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/planningengagement
The Planning Service help shape the future development of Edinburgh and your neighbourhood. They would like to find how people hear, and would like to hear, about planning issues. Feedback will be treated in confidence. Please complete the questionnaire by Tuesday 7 June 2011.

At last night's Portobello Community Council I found out that Lothian and Borders Police are also doing a survey and want your views about policing, community safety and what it's like to live in your local area. The online survey is at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YourPolice
If you don't have access to the Internet and want a paper copy , or if you know someone who would want it another language, Braille or audio you can get it by phoning 0131 311 3131 or writing to Safer Communities, Diversity Unit, Lothian and Borders Police, Force Headquarters, Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh EH4 1RB

The Craigmillar Archives Website is now up and running and will be developed over time, developed by the new Craigmillar Archives Trust. You can see it at http://www.craigmillarcommunityarchives.org.uk
If you haven't yet been to the exhibition on Craigmillar's heritage, have yet to seen around the splendid interior of the restored art deco White House, and so far missed visited the Scottish Government's Sustainable Communities Projects display, there is still time before the exhibitions close on 10 June. The White House is at 70 Niddrie Mains Road, EH16 4B. The opening times are 10.30am to 3.30pm Tuesdays - Saturdays (Closed Sunday and Monday). Well worth a visit!

Craigmillar Community Council (CCC) are hosting a Community Lunch at Castlebrae High School - and opportunity to network among colleagues and community members - on Wednesday, 8 June, 12 noon at Castlebrae Community High School. The school students will be cooking a two course meal, charging £5 for professionals and £3 for community members. To add your name to the list, do email Terry Tweed, Secretary of CCC ASAP so they know the numbers to cater for. That's RSVP to terrytweed@blueyonder.co.uk

Best wishes

Maureen
Councillor Maureen Child | Labour Elected Member | Portobello/Craigmillar (Ward 17) | City of Edinburgh Council | City Chambers | High Street | Edinburgh | EH1 1YJ | Tel 0131 529 3268 |

http://www.porty.org.uk
http://www.craigmillarcc.btck.co.uk
http://www.portobellocc.org
p.s. My face-to-face Councillor Advice Sessions, or 'Surgeries', are usually every Monday at 5.30 pm in Castleview Community Centre, 76 Craigmillar Castle Avenue (Phone 661 4064) and then at 7 pm in Portobello Library, 14 Rosefield Avenue (Phone 529 5558) . Please phone me on 529 3268, or email, to check availability or to make an appointment for another time and place.
Attachments
Councillors Report May-Jun 2011.doc
(44 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
administrator
[admin]

Return to Portobello Matters