[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Christmas lights on the high street

Christmas lights on the high street

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Christmas lights on the high street

Postby Earl of Joppa » 20 Aug 2010, 22:44

For the past couple of years i have noticed that our lights on the high street are looking like something thats been "a hand me down" from Musselburgh........

what would we need to do to get an upgrade this year? :lol:
Earl of Joppa

Postby Bob Jefferson » 20 Aug 2010, 22:58

Your Earlship, welcome to the forum. While I have some sympathy with your view, I would like to point out that it is in fact the middle of August. I would like to imagine that there is still a bit of summer left and, as such, I find it somewhat depressing to be contemplating such a wintery matter. Could we not defer this item until autumn, at the very least, has struck?
Bob Jefferson

Postby Pal of Porty » 21 Aug 2010, 10:55

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Maria » 21 Aug 2010, 13:04

Maria

Re: Christmas lights on the high street

Postby Maria » 10 Nov 2010, 19:18

The same lights as last year are due to be installed on 25 Nov.
Maria

Postby Poppy » 10 Nov 2010, 20:10

Leith already has its decorations up!
Poppy

Postby Lou » 11 Nov 2010, 02:11

Porty's lights are up
Lou

Postby wangi » 29 Oct 2011, 13:07

Christmas lights up on Porty High St; not even got Halloween out of the way yet!
wangi
[admin]

Postby wangi » 05 Nov 2011, 21:13

And the tree is up too; framed by the autumn colour

by , on Flickr
wangi
[admin]

Postby Chas » 06 Nov 2011, 13:24

But why? Who is responsible for this nonsense? We're the citizens of the town, did we ask for a Christmas tree to go up before Guy Fawkes night? I don't think so. When will these employees of the City learn that they are supposed to work for us? Keep Christmas in December, that's my view.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which - Douglas Adams
Chas

Postby Porty » 07 Nov 2011, 12:47

Was it last year the christmas lights stayed up until the end of January? It is christams three months of the year here in Porty!!
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby wangi » 22 Nov 2011, 21:41

Lights are getting turned on next Monday, 28th Nov.
wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 23 Nov 2011, 00:09

We can have a group hug round the municipal fencing that's round the tree with the whole community council. Whose going to be the fairy on the top?
Puerto bella

Postby Maria » 23 Nov 2011, 08:20

Maria

Postby Epykat » 23 Nov 2011, 09:45

The fencing detracts slightly from the overall effect - as do the lights which are only ever on the top two feet of the tree :D
Epykat

Postby SoupDragon » 23 Nov 2011, 19:11

Maybe some tinsel round the fencing?

Hmm so next Monday will have the lights switched on, a group hug round the tree then peace will descend upon Portobello , no more bickering or mud slinging...

Maybe the flying pigs will put a star atop the tree

Last edited by wangi on 23 Nov 2011, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pigs might fly!
SoupDragon

Postby Puerto bella » 24 Nov 2011, 09:32

What time? Lets have our very own Carol Mob.

All we need is time to assemble, order of list of Carols, whistle to kick us off and Bob to Film it.
Lets do it.

Some words would be useful if people dont know them - so a downloader of words and maybe a kind community councillor could copy them?

Soupy - what's your favourite Carol, you go first since you suggested the tinsel etc.
Puerto bella

Postby SoupDragon » 24 Nov 2011, 14:58

I favour the Xmas no 1 from 2009
SoupDragon

Postby Epykat » 25 Nov 2011, 00:27

Good choice Soupy! I think 'nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go and eat worms...' would be a good second choice. Maybe not all that Christmassy, but then, it's not Christmas. We should all start making bunting out of back copies of the Porty Reporter to hang on the railings and a couple of chopped up Porty Shoppers would make good deccies for the tree.
Epykat

Postby Lou » 25 Nov 2011, 03:08

The lights are on now!!
Lou

Postby SoupDragon » 25 Nov 2011, 13:15

They lit them before Epy could hang any balls from the tree?

She will be disappointed
SoupDragon

Postby Pal of Porty » 25 Nov 2011, 15:39

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Puerto bella » 25 Nov 2011, 15:41

I could be unpleasant and say - 'but did he have any to start with, but I wont' ;)
Puerto bella

Postby Epykat » 25 Nov 2011, 18:21

We really do need a 'like' button on here :D
Epykat

Postby wangi » 25 Nov 2011, 19:01

wangi
[admin]

Postby seanie » 25 Nov 2011, 19:06

Now, now Wangi...you're in danger of straying on topic.
seanie

Postby Epykat » 25 Nov 2011, 20:55

Epykat

Postby cuth » 24 Dec 2012, 20:40

I’ve supplemented the Christmas cheer with an animation projected onto the rear gable of 43 Bath Street, best viewed from Regent Street. It’s not a great piece of animation, just something I pulled from the internet, but hopefully it's helps cheer the place up.

I should be projecting until the 27th and maybe longer if I can find some New Year footage. Should start around dusk and end around 11pm.
cuth

Return to Portobello Matters