[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Rosefield Park improvements

Rosefield Park improvements

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Rosefield Park improvements

Postby seanie » 25 Sep 2011, 16:59

Rosefield Park 2010 improvements A2 500 (1).pdf
(640.25 KiB) Downloaded 634 times

An improvement plan has been drawn up for Rosefield Park and the Council's looking for feedback. They're suggesting a Multi-use Games Area and that's cropped up in previous consultations.
seanie

Re: Rosefield Park improvements

Postby Franck » 26 Sep 2011, 11:39

Looks good, but a few observations-

The plan suggests new railings on Rosefield Place, the majority of that side of the park is a wall...are they suggesting removing the wall, or does this refer to the gate entrance and the 10ft of railings adjacent to that?

The removal of the plants has already started, will all the bushes be removed?Would be a shame if that was the case.

The siting of the multi use area is very boggy, drainage would be required.

I see after the fiasco of the culvert they have hidden the flooding that is now prone with 'aquatic planting'...
Franck

Postby Maria » 26 Sep 2011, 12:03

Maria

Postby Franck » 26 Sep 2011, 12:52

Franck

Postby Bob Jefferson » 26 Sep 2011, 13:29

The multi-use sports arena is something I have been advocating since 2005 and I think this is an ideal location for it, as long as the drainage problem can be addressed.
Bob Jefferson

Postby wangi » 26 Sep 2011, 13:38

Anyone know why the railings need to be replaced, rather than stripped back, repaired when necessary and repainted. My recollection is they're in not too bad condition?
wangi
[admin]

Postby Maria » 26 Sep 2011, 14:23

I haven't examined the railings in Rosefield Place, but I was part of a group of local residents that met up in the Park along with officials from the Parks dept, when they were starting to put this improvement plan together and we looked at the railings on the West Brighton Crescent boundary wall. Those were certainly beyond repair.
Maria

Postby Franck » 26 Sep 2011, 16:36

Franck

Postby seanie » 14 Nov 2011, 17:05

I hear that the Brighton and Rosefield Residents' Association will be advising the Council that the games court would not be welcome in Rosefield Park.
seanie

Postby Pal of Porty » 14 Nov 2011, 18:37

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Maria » 14 Nov 2011, 19:25

Maria

Postby Bob Jefferson » 14 Nov 2011, 19:31

Bob Jefferson

Postby seashell » 14 Nov 2011, 20:02

seashell

Postby Puerto bella » 14 Nov 2011, 20:31

I seem to recall the basketball/ skatepark original proposals for the paddling pool site (now a very empty setting for some columns) that were decided on by a large group of locals at the planning for real exercise were poo-poo'd by a few people living adjacent to it and so never happened. Maybe time to revive as there is still a huge demand for this sort of facility. Daisy Park or Straiton Place Park could provide an ideal basketball or skatepark facility - one of each in each park?
Puerto bella

Postby Bazza » 15 Nov 2011, 09:23

I'm also a local resident, and I think it'd be a wonderful idea! That bit of the park is kind of dead space just now anyway.
For some reason, they always schedule the AGM when I've got other things arranged....
Bazza

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Nov 2011, 10:08

I'm guessing that the number of local residents who have already declared in favour of the proposal easily outnumber those who attended the AGM and made the decision to object to it.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Porty » 15 Nov 2011, 10:50

Hopefully the supporters will submit individual letters and we will have another example of a group at odds with the opinions of those they purport to represent.

Can someone provide a link to feedbacK?
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby Pal of Porty » 15 Nov 2011, 11:02

I was totally shocked when I read of the Association's resistance to this scheme but when I think through it logically and look at some of the key individiuals who are members of this group then their opposition is pretty logical really. They have tried to screw up the education of our children so they may as well go the whole 9 yards and try and inhibit their play opportunities. The way it is going - a few years down the line you will have to take contraception before you are allowed to move into the Portobello area! 8)

P.S. This was a thriving park with tennis courts and a putting green long before many of the current residents moved into the area. Bring it all back again.
Pal of Porty

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Nov 2011, 11:08

I would suggest that people email Scott Thomson directly and copy in their local councillors. Scott is the Community Parks Officer for this patch, he lives locally and has kids himself. I've had dealings with him in the past and always found him to be very obliging.

scott.thomson@edinburgh.gov.uk
Bob Jefferson

Postby Franck » 15 Nov 2011, 13:45

I'm divided on this one.It's a lovely park but that particular area is under-used.The kids deserve somewhere to hang out and sometimes the playpark is used by kids of an age that probably shouldn't, but that's down to a lack of amenities for them.Otoh, it could become a magnet for kids from all over, with potential for things to get out of hand.I know my wife would feel less happy about walking our dog if a group of teenagers were hanging about after dark...meaning I'd have to do more dog walking!
If it was well lit with a remote camera (that works) I think I'd be inclined to support it.Otherwise I'll abstain.I can appreciate anyone in WBC that protests as it will guarantee more groups of noisy kids strolling along their strasse.
Franck

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Nov 2011, 16:24

I've just had confirmation that the arena is not likely to happen unless we can demonstrate that there IS local support for it, so if you are in support then please email Scott to let him know and look out for a questionnaire on the matter to be distributed soon. Also looking for local kids to help organise a petition at their schools. PM if you can help.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Peter Bradley » 15 Nov 2011, 17:57

Look, it's simple. We dont want children using the park - I mean they have bus stops and streets and those Zbox thingies to play with and encouraging them to run around in a park is .........well its just not on!
I seem to remember being told that not long ago the police were called in to move on a rowdy bunch of primary children who were running and jumping and laughing and shouting - all totally unacceptable behaviour in our parks.
Good for you BRRA - cant we use the money for a "child catcher" a la Chitty Chitty Bang Bang instead.
Peter Bradley

Postby Bob Jefferson » 15 Nov 2011, 18:44

I have quickly knocked together a petition sheet. If you and your family support the proposal you could print it and talk to your child(ren) about it. If they wish, they could then ask their friends if they would like to sign it. You can sign it too of course, and remember to put your age! Completed sheets can be handed to Emily P6c or Etta P6a (hope this is ok?) at Towerbank. Hopefully, parents and children at other local schools can organise something themselves.

A reminder that the drawing for Rosefield Park, showing the MUGA in position, is in the first post of this thread.

muga.pdf
(63.78 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Bob Jefferson

Postby Puerto bella » 15 Nov 2011, 20:31

Good idea, thanks - have printed one off and have 3 signatures already.
Puerto bella

Postby Franck » 16 Nov 2011, 11:16

Franck

Postby Pal of Porty » 16 Nov 2011, 11:21

The irony here for me is that the proposals look really good. They have sensibly positioned the play area in the corner of the park that is least used and furthest away from neighbouring houses. They are simply improving what is already a well used and well loved park.

The powers that be must be seriously brassed off trying to spend money in Portobello as everything they try do generates some level of objection. They even got criticised for re-newing all the pavements, which were in a very bad state of repair.8)
Pal of Porty

Postby Bob Jefferson » 16 Nov 2011, 11:38

Thanks Franck, much appreciated. Like I said, I understand your reservations and we must ensure that it doesn't become a focal point for anti-social behaviour. Right behind you on that.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Porty » 16 Nov 2011, 13:20

.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby Mark Cameron » 16 Nov 2011, 13:41

Isn't it strange (and frustrating) that time and time again the same names seem to be cropping up as objectors to change in Portobello!

I support the plans for change in Rosefield and have posted a link to this thread on the 'Porty People' facebook site plus sent it to the 'Portydads' group to let a wider section of the community have the opportunity to consider this proposal.
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Bob Jefferson » 09 Dec 2011, 19:45

A letter from James Hunter, Local Environment Manager concerning the Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) has been distributed to local residents recently. He would like to ascertain whether or not there is community backing for the MUGA. You should have a form to complete, asking simply whether or not you agree with the proposal. This form should then be handed in to Portobello Library. There are spare forms at the Library, in case you didn't get one. I only got one form so I will be picking up extra copies, because my wife and children would also like to support the proposal. I hope that some of you will do likewise.

As you know, some people are opposed to the idea. And one or two are even angry that we are being given the opportunity to express our opinion. More reason, you may feel, to ensure that the democratic will of the community prevails. Forms must be handed in by Monday 19 December. Please use your contact networks to pass on this important message.
Bob Jefferson

Postby Bob Jefferson » 09 Dec 2011, 20:42

Here is a copy of the form you can print and complete yourself. Just remember to hand it in to the library by Monday 19 December.

muga_form.pdf
(980.01 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Bob Jefferson

Postby Mark Cameron » 12 Dec 2011, 13:41

I emailed James Hunter to ask whether the forms could be emailed to him. He said they could although I suspect he'd prefer the paper version if at all possible.

His email is James.Hunter@edinburgh.gov.uk
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Bob Jefferson » 14 Dec 2011, 15:26

Bob Jefferson

Postby seanie » 14 Dec 2011, 15:38

seanie

Postby Pal of Porty » 14 Dec 2011, 19:01