[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Portobello Bottle Works, Baileyfield Road, Portobello

Portobello Bottle Works, Baileyfield Road, Portobello

Local history of Portobello, including an archive of Portobello postcards through the years

Portobello Bottle Works, Baileyfield Road, Portobello

Postby wangi » 27 Nov 2012, 00:59

Some interesting old photos of the Portobello Bottle Works, which was situated between Baileyfield Road and Fishwives Causeway, on . I've placed them on on old 1934 25" OS map below for reference:

Click on them for larger sizes...

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Compare with current day view from the same place down now Harry Lauder Road:

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Some other interesting Portobello shots at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sixtiesedi ... 0450214484
wangi
[admin]

Re: Portobello Bottle Works, Baileyfield Road, Portobello

Postby Pal of Porty » 27 Nov 2012, 12:26

I clearly remember the bottle works - we used to sneak in and play on the massive piles of broken glass! 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby fresian » 27 Nov 2012, 14:27

fresian

Postby Epykat » 27 Nov 2012, 15:19

This is my father in law who was a bottle sorter at the Portobello bottleworks.

Epykat

Postby Porty » 28 Nov 2012, 00:18

He is Mr Epykat double from that angle.

Bet your MIL thought he was a corker.

I remember the piles of glass too POP. Always thought there may be treasure .
.....ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Porty

Postby SoupDragon » 28 Nov 2012, 15:56

We were warned off going into the bottle works with tales of a boy who fell and died in there. Wonder if there's any truth in that.
It was possible to sneak in through the gap where the burn comes into Rosefield Park, I think there's now a path that come out at the insurance buildings, so they must be on part of where the bottle works stood
SoupDragon

Postby vitawonk » 25 Jan 2013, 16:35

I dug out one of my cellars and there were some old bottles. One was from A. Skidmore & Sons of Portobello (Lemon Crush). I think the bottle is 1940's / 1950's, but I can't find any information on Skidmores. Does anyone have any recollection of them?
vitawonk

Postby Bob Jefferson » 26 Jan 2013, 22:11

Bob Jefferson

Postby vitawonk » 28 Jan 2013, 18:01

Cheers - will send it on... I will post the pictures here too
Attachments
P1020721.JPG
The bottle and a Glasgow one
P1020720.JPG
Label showing Baileyfield
P1020719.JPG
Screwed sropper
vitawonk

Postby Bob Jefferson » 28 Jan 2013, 18:06

Oh, they are nice and in great condition too. Maybe you should do some more digging and see what else you can find?
Bob Jefferson

Postby vitawonk » 28 Jan 2013, 18:10

Should have previewed - got the labels wrong. Still I am sure you can work it out!
vitawonk

Postby wilsonpeterhead » 25 May 2014, 20:15

if you are wondering if there is truth to the story of the boy who was killed in the bottle works, it is true, he was 12 years old and he fell through the asbestos roof. we used to play there, getting access through the apple orchard at the end of adelphi place(i think that is the right name)

I had an uncle who worked there and when I was quite young I would go to the Christmas parties at the social club.
wilsonpeterhead

Return to Local History