[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Talk Porty ~ Portobello • View topic - Rat-running and large vehicles (Bath St, Straiton Pl etc)

Rat-running and large vehicles (Bath St, Straiton Pl etc)

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Re: Rat-running and large vehicles (Bath St, Straiton Pl etc

Postby SoupDragon » 17 Nov 2011, 14:57

I'd been assuming the majority of the bottlenecks were at peak times but I walked along High St today just before lunchtime and the traffic was backed up from Bath Street to nearly Bellfield Street
SoupDragon

Postby Makaveli » 17 Nov 2011, 15:43

Makaveli

Postby rmolehusband » 17 Nov 2011, 15:56

rmolehusband

Postby Makaveli » 17 Nov 2011, 16:05

Nae bother!!!

To me either of my suggestions are acceptable :)
Makaveli

Postby Pal of Porty » 17 Nov 2011, 17:40

Justice delayed is justice denied.
Pal of Porty

Postby Mark Cameron » 17 Nov 2011, 21:11

:twisted: Cut the wires at the pedestrian crossing and that'll let you see what effect that has on the congestion until CEC send out a man in a van. Alternatively we could also suggest they switch them off for a week - you know a kind of 'experiment'?
Mark
Mark Cameron

Postby Makaveli » 17 Nov 2011, 21:54

I like your thinking =D>
Makaveli

Postby wangi » 17 Nov 2011, 22:08

wangi
[admin]

Postby Grunk » 18 Nov 2011, 11:13

So the two issues are:

Timeout period is too short (pretty much goes whenever anyone turns up).
Crossing period is too long (to allow slow folk to cross).

A zebra crossing would fix issue #2 but make issue #1 worse.
I would have thought that phasing, would be easier to accomplish as the required circuitry should be there already.

Possibly the greatest issue is convincing someone in the transport department that there is a problem, and that they might like to fix it a bit, and earn some of that salary that we are paying for.
Unfortunately every interaction I've had with them, is like talking to a brick wall. They are another bunch of folk who think that the general public are too stupid to have any good ideas ever.

Edit :- Actually, come to think of it, maybe the best approach is to always suggest the opposite of what we want...
Grunk

Postby Bazza » 18 Nov 2011, 11:34

If we increased the traffic flow on the High Street, other cars would realise that this was a good option, and start using it, thus building up the pressure again, bringing us back where we started. It's a pattern seen time and again with traffic flow.
Bazza

Postby rmolehusband » 18 Nov 2011, 12:48

rmolehusband

Postby Pal of Porty » 18 Nov 2011, 15:40

The traffic through Porty has increased because of the works to the Milton Link, the crossroads at the Milton Fry chippie and the addition of the bus lane. The bus lane in particular has severely restricted the traffic flow in what was a relatively free flowing road. The consequence is that many more cars now use Porty.

We therefore need to speed up the Milton Link area (taking away the bus lane would definitely do that) or slow down Porty traffic with some of the measures already described on this thread so that cars revert to Milton Road. Cars are like water - they will always find their level! 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby Grunk » 18 Nov 2011, 18:57

Grunk

Postby wangi » 06 Jan 2012, 11:20

wangi
[admin]

Postby Grunk » 16 Jan 2012, 13:33

Last edited by wangi on 16 Jan 2012, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add quote
Grunk

Postby bearcub » 16 Jan 2012, 15:19

bearcub

Re: Traffic and Parking Consultation Event

Postby Maria » 16 Jan 2012, 17:57

Maria

Postby Maria » 16 Jan 2012, 18:29

I'm quite surprised it was as far back as last May that the first consultation was held. The wheels of government certainly move more slowly than some of the traffic round here!
Maria

Postby seanie » 16 Jan 2012, 19:16

I think there's supposed to be a report on the consultation going to the Neighbourhood Partnership at the end of February.
seanie

Postby Puerto bella » 17 Jan 2012, 00:32

[quote="Grunk"]Apparently there was consultation about this which ended last week.

I wonder how many other consultations I am unaware of...

quote]

If I recall it was published at fairly short notice - about a week before it started and it was just before Xmas when the Town Hall event happened so the leaflet could have been missed in the rush up to Xmas which is a shame.
There were adverts on here and on facebook page - TP and Porty Traffic NIghtmares.
Puerto bella

Postby Puerto bella » 17 Jan 2012, 15:05

Would anyone like to come and gaze in awe at the lovely railing I've been asking for for in excess of 6.5 years? I'll be putting a ribbon around it, polishing it regularly and putting out a christmas stocking for it ;)
Its just wonderful. Thankyou C'llor Bridgeman for getting it done.
Why didnt I come to you in the first place instead of wasting time emailing the other two councillors who I mistakenly thought had Portobello people's interests at heart and who I foolishly had faith in helping me sort it out.
Its made my day.
Puerto bella

Postby wangi » 17 Jan 2012, 15:12

wangi
[admin]

Postby Puerto bella » 17 Jan 2012, 15:16

If I knew how to upload them to here I would.
Puerto bella

Postby SoupDragon » 17 Jan 2012, 16:29

Is it the railing they installed on Sunday morning? Top of the lane next to the Straiton Place park?
SoupDragon

Postby Puerto bella » 17 Jan 2012, 19:28

no - outside my door
Puerto bella

Postby SoupDragon » 17 Jan 2012, 20:16

Oh when did they put that in? I didn't notice it when I walked up past there on Monday
I wonder how long the one in Straiton Place will last given how often cars seems to mount the pavement here
How long before the one near you is clipped, Puerto Bella?

Wonder if the council will ever do anything about the grey posts with nothing on them or even the conflicting speed limit sign
SoupDragon

Postby Puerto bella » 17 Jan 2012, 22:31

It went in this am.
Grey posts are due to be rationalised as part of the overall traffic management work they're consulting on.
Puerto bella

Postby bearcub » 17 Jan 2012, 23:39

One-way signs are now up, and painted on the road, in Bellfield Lane. Now no entry from Straiton Place.
bearcub

Postby SoupDragon » 18 Jan 2012, 09:53

Bellfield Lane has been one way for a couple of months now, Bearcub
SoupDragon

Postby bearcub » 18 Jan 2012, 17:31

That'll teach me to open my eyes when walking the dog! :lol:

To be honest, it was the new illuminated signs on the Lane itself that I noticed, and I just assumed the one-way part had only just come along at the same time too. :oops:
bearcub

Postby SoupDragon » 18 Jan 2012, 18:11

I think the illumination is fairly new, I certainly hadn't noticed it being lit up before

Like the railings Puerto Bella, hopefully that'll stop cars mounting the pavement there.
They're lovely and shiney

We also got one of the leaflets around November/December but we didn't have any free time to go look at the plans
SoupDragon

Postby Puerto bella » 18 Jan 2012, 19:59

It is working already.
I was out polishing it this morning - hence the shine ;)
Puerto bella

Postby Pal of Porty » 19 Jan 2012, 15:53

PB - I passed the railings yesterday and could not see what all the excitement was about. What am I missing? 8)
Pal of Porty

Postby SoupDragon » 19 Jan 2012, 19:07

You frequently get cars trying to pass each other and turn the corner at the same time, it's a very awkward corner so PB presumably could be coming out her front door into the path of a car driving up the pavement, the railing should stop that
The railing at the lane are there to stop kids running up and onto the road I assume, again you get cars trying to pass each other there so i do wonder how long before they are damaged, given that the railing outside our block have been damaged by cars twice.
Or it may a handy bike park says Mr Soupy ( though his latest one a b'Twin is going to be chained up in our house ! )
SoupDragon

Postby Epykat » 19 Jan 2012, 19:52

Epykat

PreviousNext

Return to Portobello Matters