Maureen Child: Updates March 2012

Discussion and debate on the issues affecting Portobello

Maureen Child: Updates March 2012

Postby administrator » 20 Mar 2012, 00:49

Dear All

A reminder that tomorrow there is a Charity Concert being held tomorrow - Friday evening (16 March) - in St. Philip's Church, Joppa starring 7.30pm. Tickets are £10 - with all proceeds going to the following three charities: Richmond's Hope, Water Aid and End Polio Now. Refreshments at the interval are included in the ticket price. Tickets will be available for purchase on the night at the door. It promises to be an excellent evening of entertainment and raising funds for some very good causes.

Portobello Amnesty Group are having a Book, Baking, Bric-a-Brac Sale and Coffee Morning Saturday, 17 March, 10.00 am to 12 noon in the Old Parish Church Hall, Bellfield Street Portobello. The £1 entrance includes tea/coffee & biscuits. Everyone welcome.

The Full Council agreed today - unanimously - to warmly congratulate Portobello Water Polo team on their success in winning the British Championship and Council agreed to celebrate that success and Portobello Swimming Club's 100th year.

There is a move to get Portobello accredited as a Fairtrade Town as part of making Scotland Fairtrade Nation. You can help by buying Fairtrade products and encouraging others to do so. Please also let Jim Baird of the Just World Shop know of you are aware of places in Portobello which sell Fairtrade tea and coffee. Pop in to see Jim, Morag and team at the Just World Shop at 54 Portobello High Street, phone 0131 669 8819 or email jamesbaird66@gmail.com

Thanks for all the feedback on refuse collections and where you think the priorities for road and footway repairs should go next. That's been very helpful.

As a result of residents' complaints to me, Council staff recently removed around three tonnes of dumped rubbish from public land between Corbieshot and the walkway from Asda to Fort Kinnaird . It has been established that a lot of the rest of the derelict land is owned by house builders Barratt, who would be responsible for keeping their own land clean and tidy - and have given notice that they want to develop a site at Blackchapel Close behind Quarry Cottages, Newcraighall Road.

The Council is soon to support a lot of local voluntary activity doing a Spring Clean in conjunction with Keep Scotland Beautiful. I know clean-ups are planned in Gilberstoun and Brighton/Rosefield residential areas, and in Craigmillar Country Park - maybe elsewhere too. If you give me the details, I can let others know when where and how they can help.

[admin: posted late...]
administrator
[admin]

Return to Portobello Matters